The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

There were like four people who didn't want Martinez, let's not pretend like that was the common opinion on here :lol:

I was one of them, and in hindsight I was obviously wrong, but I still think at the time it was a huge gamble for Everton to appoint him. They played some nice football at times, but defensively they were all over the park to the point where he got them relegated (despite winning a cup obviously). Still, fortune favours the brave, and here we are, stuck with the biggest coward of all. :(

I was a sceptic aswell and I wish people would stop acting like it was obviously going to work out brilliantly for Everton. Martinez was somebody who never once in about 5 years got his team to be anything other than relegation battlers. There was rightfully doubts about him

:thup:

He got Wigan finishing around the same places Jewell and Bruce managed, although the football was a lot better then they got relegated under him. I don't think anyone called him shite or worse than Pardew but thought he was a risk until he proved he could step up.

That won't stop the "Those idiots that said he was proper shit and that" comments happening every time Everton win a game over the next 3-4 seasons though :)

There were like four people who didn't want Martinez, let's not pretend like that was the common opinion on here :lol:

I was one of them, and in hindsight I was obviously wrong, but I still think at the time it was a huge gamble for Everton to appoint him. They played some nice football at times, but defensively they were all over the park to the point where he got them relegated (despite winning a cup obviously). Still, fortune favours the brave, and here we are, stuck with the biggest coward of all. :(

I was a sceptic aswell and I wish people would stop acting like it was obviously going to work out brilliantly for Everton. Martinez was somebody who never once in about 5 years got his team to be anything other than relegation battlers. There was rightfully doubts about him

Or, the other side of the coin, he managed to keep an otherwise terrible team in the PL for years, while not often resorting to the same negative football typical of relegation fodder.

He also had the least amount to spend in the league during his tenure there as well.

Or, the other side of the coin, he managed to keep an otherwise terrible team in the PL for years, while not often resorting to the same negative football typical of relegation fodder.

Spot on.

Spot on.

Jewell and Bruce had already kept them in the league before Martinez took over

Spot on.

And then Martinez did so by playing far better football.

And when they got relegated, they picked up that silver tin pot thing at Wembley.

Spot on.

And when they got relegated, they picked up that silver tin pot thing at Wembley.

He may have played better football but in the four years before Martinez went to them they stayed up relatively easily apart from one season, while the next four seasons they only stayed up on the last day.

Depends what you value. 12th and playing shit football, 16th and playing very good football.

Either way he kept them up while progressing their play, developing as a manager and ultimately when it was too much to keep them up he won them the FA Cup, an extraordinary achievement you seem to be glossing over.

I was pleased we got him but no, I didn't assume he'd work out well. But it was clear even in those 3 frustrating draws at the start of the season, he was trying to change something long-term. He has an idea about where he wants us to go and how he intends to do it, and that was evident at Wigan too.

Spot on.

I don't think Wigan's football was ever terrible to be perfectly honest, whether under Jewell, Bruce or Martinez.

Spot on.

Spot on.

I don't think Wigan's football was ever terrible to be perfectly honest, whether under Jewell, Bruce or Martinez.

Not saying they previously kicked lumps out of everyone then Martinez turned them into Barcelona, but it was a bloody bold decision to consciously progress their style of play quite markedly, with the pressures of staying up a constant weight on their shoulders. And for the most part it worked and for that he should be commended.

It doesn't make him the messiah, nor does it make him a naughty boy, but it does show he has a clear vision in his mind about how he wants his team to progress.

Depends what you value. 12th and playing s*** football, 16th and playing very good football.

Either way he kept them up while progressing their play, developing as a manager and ultimately when it was too much to keep them up he won them the FA Cup, an extraordinary achievement you seem to be glossing over.

I was pleased we got him but no, I didn't assume he'd work out well. But it was clear even in those 3 frustrating draws at the start of the season, he was trying to change something long-term. He has an idea about where he wants us to go and how he intends to do it, and that was evident at Wigan too.

I never thought he was a bad manager or anything but I think its just strange that people are calling other people idiots for thinking that somebody who never got his team to even be midtable wasn't automatically going to be an outstanding manager