Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Sorry like but it's ludicrous, it tells you nothing. They could all be pearollers straight at him. Also how do you measure how commanding somebody is of their box? A keeper might make a load of saves but cost his team indirectly by never leaving his goal line. The qualities of a goalkeeper are impossible to measure through statistics, it's even worse than trying it on with midfielders and their passing percentages.

eyes >>>>

Stats is a mental way to measure how good a goalkeeper is, probably even more mental than trying to do it for any other position.

Yeah because someone saves 84% of all saves shot at them in a season, its an irrelevant stat.

Agree with ponsaelius like. Given that he's at Chelsea, how many of those shots are from clearcut chances, from outside the box because the opposition can't get near them, etc.

Never said otherwise, it was just the easiest way to say he's still class. :lol:

Didn't mean anything serious by it and don't see why such a fuss is being made over it.

How many times have I said eye test > numbers and stats mean fuck all :lol:

I bring it up once because I couldn't be arsed making a long detailed posts to make a point, it's then proceeded by a load of lectures of how eye tests >>>>

Cheers lads I definitely didn't know that.

Can't see how Cech will make that big of a difference in Arsenal's title hopes. He certainly is an upgrade on Ospina but Ospina wasn't bad. Seems incremental to me.

suppose if you were believing in it you'd have to think that he still so good he'll inspire the defence in front of him through him giving them confidence in what's behind them

it's arguably happened in the past with keepers, can't see why cech couldn't inspire the arsenal shower to raise their game a bit

Can't see how Cech will make that big of a difference in Arsenal's title hopes. He certainly is an upgrade on Ospina but Ospina wasn't bad. Seems incremental to me.

suppose if you were believing in it you'd have to think that he still so good he'll inspire the defence in front of him through him giving them confidence in what's behind them

it's arguably happened in the past with keepers, can't see why cech couldn't inspire the arsenal shower to raise their game a bit

He's too meek to be inspiring imo.

He's too meek to be inspiring imo.

Tend to agree

The top 5 clubs last season have these first choice now.

Courtois

Hart

Cech

De Gea

Lloris

My opinion is Hart is better than him.

don't agree with that personally Cechs in 3rd place out of those guys imho

From what I've read a lot of Chelsea fans thought he was their better keeper. Either way it's a very good signing and one that they've needed for years now.

Cech is miles better than Ospina man, both as a keeper and as a leader.

:lol: :thup: Can't believe what i'm reading and that's saying something.

Has anyone said he's not better than Ospina?

I just don't think it'll make much difference. Arsenal had the 3rd least GA in the league last year and finished third. I doubt Cech will do much to change that.

Arsenal need a keeper who won't make mistakes at important times. Not sure Cech is the guy I'd be picking for that role. Especially after a year on the bench. Either way, for them to improve, they need to do a lot more than swap out Ospina for Cech.

I do not believe he will make much difference at Arsenal whatsoever. Maybe, like, 2 points. Or more importantly, a 3%-5% save percentage increase.

That's a pretty significant increase tbh.

I don't know why you Brits hate stats so badly. :lol:

Liverpool are a perfect example of stats being useless in football (for the most part) they wasted over £100m on their 'moneyball' signings :lol:

I do not believe he will make much difference at Arsenal whatsoever. Maybe, like, 2 points. Or more importantly, a 3%-5% save percentage increase.

Because when people drop stats they ignore all context. It's fine in a "play" based game, like your American Football, but in real football, they're useless without context.

Because when people drop stats they ignore all context. It's fine in a "play" based game, like your American Football, but in real football, they're useless without context.

They are huge in ice hockey though and save percentage is a very important stat for goalies. I do understand that in ice hockey there are a lot more shots per game and more games per season but I don't think save percentage should be completely written off as bullshit if the sample size is big enough (like at least a full season) in football either. That said, I have no idea what is a 'good' save percentage in football but I can see stats like that becoming more relevant in the future in football too.

Top 10 goalkeepers by save percentage (50+ games) in the last decade....

# Goalkeeper Team(s) Save %

1 Petr Cech Chelsea 76.70%

2 Nigel Martyn C Palace, Leeds, Everton 75.90%

3 Heurelho Gomes Tottenham 75.40%

4 Tomasz Kuszczak West Brom, Man Utd 74.80%

5 Adrian West Ham 74.20%

6 Edwin van der Sar Fulham, Man Utd 73.80%

7 Marcus Hahnemann Reading, Wolves 73.80%

8 Vito Mannone Arsenal, Hull, Sunderland 73.70%

9    David de Gea Manchester United 73.70%

10  Joe Hart Man City, Birmingham 73.40%