Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Suppose there are a few scenarios.

He signs, is a brilliant full back and stays there his entire career. Worth it.

He signs, doesn't fulfil his potential and they sell at a big loss. Not worth it.

He does a Bale (no real idea if he is one of those attacking players starting out at full back :dontknow:) and one of the few ridiculously wealthy clubs spend stupid amounts on him. Worth it.

I suppose they are one of the few clubs able to take this gamble, seems a hell of a lot though. They might go mad this summer anyway but I would be putting this sort of money towards Barkley first.

Think English football is need of all the talent being removed from shit middling clubs and fast forwarded to the top asap.

Sick of seeing non-heritage clubs do well, turns my stomach.

Agree. I want the beat English players playing in the Champions League and if that means they have to play for Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool, so be it.

You're one of those nutters who supports every English club in the Champions League though.

I'm not sure how people can :anguish:

Considering the Cole retirement, if Southampton have the balls they'll insist on any deal being concluded after the World Cup. Probably bottle it though.

Unless Hodgson takes advice from Pardew, Shaw might not see a minute of action in the tournament

You're one of those nutters who supports every English club in the Champions League though.

I'm not sure how people can :anguish:

I'll support smaller teams (Everton, Swansea, etc) in Europe if I've not got any dogs in the fight, but never the 'big' clubs. Fuck 'em, hope they get steamrolled.

Considering the Cole retirement, if Southampton have the balls they'll insist on any deal being concluded after the World Cup. Probably bottle it though.

Unless Hodgson takes advice from Pardew, Shaw might not see a minute of action in the tournament

Would probably still help their negotiation though.

They're going to spend £150m+ to get back into the title race.

So fucking depressing.

Not with signings like Shaw they won't.

Still, ridiculous and depressing.

Guest dazzanufc1892

if he stays for 20 years (which is possible), then its not even 1.5 a year.

Seems a good price if they get somebody like drawler and rebuild that side for the next 10 years

Don't think it's an insane price at all. 27m for a player who is already one of the top left backs in the league. I know it's a big if, but if he stays with us for the rest of his career you're talking 15 years. It's a good deal, and an exciting one for us.

Don't think it's an insane price at all. 27m for a player who is already one of the top left backs in the league. I know it's a big if, but if he stays with us for the rest of his career you're talking 15 years. It's a good deal, and an exciting one for us.

Not sure I'd call him one of the best left backs in the league yet. I think he escapes major scrutiny over his performances because he plays for Southampton. He will develop into a very good player though, still a lot of money for a left back

Sagna holds them back a lot, as he's incredibly limited going forward I think.

Also not as good defensively as he used to be. Good time to upgrade with Debuchy imo, as we're going full English now.

Disagree. His crossing has come on leaps and bounds and he's an asset. Unless they go for a Debuchy they'll probably take a step back i that position. Jenkinson is not the lad.

It's an incredible amount of money, but the kid is only 18, and has looked extremely good. It's ultimately a lot more sensible than the £18 million they were going to spend on a 29 year old Leighton Baines last summer. You also have to take into the account that he is Southampton middle class don't forget.

Ultimately, the real shame is that the price of English talent continues to spiral so crazily out of control. In reality, this is the real hindrance to more English players being given chances at the top level. For example, the kid at Derby, looks a fantastic prospect, but how much would you be quoted getting him from the championship? At least £10 million I would imagine! It's a mess.

Debuchy would be perfect for arsenal like. Gutted we will lose him next season

He's not quick enough... There's a reason why we got him and Chelsea got Azpilicueta...

Debuchy would be perfect for arsenal like. Gutted we will lose him next season

He's not quick enough... There's a reason why we got him and Chelsea got Azpilicueta...

Disagree tbf. He's easily good enough to play for arsenal. He's one of the best full backs in the league. Comfortably

Didn't say he wasn't one of the best... But I can see what Wenger sees in Sagna and why Chelsea preferred to go for CA when Debuchy was available... Once he's turned he lacks that little bit of recovery pace that can cover up the initial mistake...