Clément Grenier

LRD

It's an example of an owner/chairman showing solidarity with a respected manager's judgement to bring in a young British player for probably more than he was worth. It didn't turn out like we wanted but he more than repaid his transfer fee.

As if any idiot would prefer the nonsense we've got now over that.

Be less abstract mate, what your saying is going over heads.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what ronaldo is saying is he prefers the days when we were in for young highly rated English players and being competitive in the transfer market.

For those that are too young to remember how highly though of Bramble was we are talking in relative terms of Tom ince

Sounds a hell of a lot more like him not fancying us than Ashley failing to pay up. That wont sit well with the fake bid brigade.

:lol: might it not have been prudent to source alternatives before hand? rather than one player? A bid under the valuation and wages half of what cabaye was getting?

He said this 2 days ago, man:

£20m or £25m it matters not a jot. We'd be lucky to see £10m of it reinvested in a future window.

Bloke doesn't know where he's at.

:lol: polemic viewpoints "we won't spend anything!!" / "lol at you fake bid crew!"

So we bid £10 million and it didn't work, either because the fee was too low, or possibly because the player was never that interested. I reckon it was more the second one. Low bids tend to work when the player actively wants the move no?

I'd have liked to see a few alternatives yeah. But replacing Cabaye is not an easy job. Personally I don't know who those alternatives would be. I trust in Carr's judgement. I'd rather hang on and get the right player. There's little left to play for this season.

I don't love our transfer policy but you'd have to admit, we've brought in some superb transfers. Not enough obviously, but the days of spunking £6m on the likes of Bramble are over.

This is the only username I've ever had.

Now that I'm done talking, you may bring the rage.

You're proper suspicious.

Replacing Cabaye isn't an easy job, but we've had half a season to line up the right guy, so there's nothing to "hang on" about it - if we'd intended to replace him, we would have - and we'd have done a Spurs-style replacement of doing as or before he left.

There's nowt to play for this season, but we'd want his would-be replacement to settle into the side so we could attack next season properly - unless that is... that you didn't give actually give a shit because

a) this season was safe (almost at 40 points joy of all joys); and

b) you would only even consider investing in a replacement in the summer if a second-half-of-the-season decline without a Cabaye replacement (and Shola as the best striking option that the club owns :lol:) would be so bad that it'd indicate our 2014/15 season would be a relegation season

Correct me if I'm wrong but what ronaldo is saying is he prefers the days when we were in for young highly rated English players and being competitive in the transfer market.

For those that are too young to remember how highly though of Bramble was we are talking in relative terms of Tom ince

Seems pretty obvious, like. Can't adapt all my posts for the likes of Brett. :undecided:

Seems pretty obvious, like. Can't adapt all my posts for the likes of Brett. :undecided:

The thing that makes me laugh about the point you made is its not really debatable.

It's an example of an owner/chairman showing solidarity with a respected manager's judgement to bring in a young British player for probably more than he was worth. It didn't turn out like we wanted but he more than repaid his transfer fee.

As if any idiot would prefer the nonsense we've got now over that.

I don't think there's anything wrong in buying cheaper young foreign players. It's just that we have stopped doing that too and selling teams now know what we are doing. It was obvious that we wouldn't get Grenier or Cabella cheap.

As I have said before its either ludicrous bids calculated to fail or just lousy recruitment by incompetent people charged with running the club.

What difference does it make?

Its the same pointless crap that get's peddled by s*** kickers in the Pardew thread 'oh he's a bad manager but the criticism he gets is way over the top'. Such pointless semantics. Whats important is that the team is managed by a limited manager.

The thing that matters is the team that finished 16th in the league last season has sold its best player and it doesn't look like he will be replaced.

Wake up.

What I don't understand is... Especially after watching a program on the the mechanics of how a transfer deal works is how we've reached this point either in the last 48hrs but in reality since the end of the last window when they give Cabaye the reassurance that they would let him leave...

1. You get your list of targets prepared

2. Speak to their agents and enquire if they are interested in the move and get a basic idea of wages agreed

3. If so approach club and make a bid until acceptable or rejected and move to the next target on the list

How are we bidding for a player who doesn't seem to have any great desire to join us?...

Sounds a hell of a lot more like him not fancying us than Ashley failing to pay up. That wont sit well with the fake bid brigade.

:lol: might it not have been prudent to source alternatives before hand? rather than one player? A bid under the valuation and wages half of what cabaye was getting?

£20m or £25m it matters not a jot. We'd be lucky to see £10m of it reinvested in a future window.

:lol: polemic viewpoints "we won't spend anything!!" / "lol at you fake bid crew!"

So we bid £10 million and it didn't work, either because the fee was too low, or possibly because the player was never that interested. I reckon it was more the second one. Low bids tend to work when the player actively wants the move no?

I'd have liked to see a few alternatives yeah. But replacing Cabaye is not an easy job. Personally I don't know who those alternatives would be. I trust in Carr's judgement. I'd rather hang on and get the right player. There's little left to play for this season.

I don't love our transfer policy but you'd have to admit, we've brought in some superb transfers. Not enough obviously, but the days of spunking £6m on the likes of Bramble are over.

Replacing Cabaye isn't an easy job, but we've had half a season to line up the right guy, so there's nothing to "hang on" about it - if we'd intended to replace him, we would have - and we'd have done a Spurs-style replacement of doing as or before he left.

There's nowt to play for this season, but we'd want his would-be replacement to settle into the side so we could attack next season properly - unless that is... that you didn't give actually give a s*** because

b) you would only even consider investing in a replacement in the summer if a second-half-of-the-season decline without a Cabaye replacement (and Shola as the best striking option that the club owns :lol:) would be so bad that it'd indicate our 2014/15 season would be a relegation season

You think I have a suspicious nature? Or you think I'm a mackem?

Beren, your viewpoint is understandable. You could well be spot on. Ideally, yeah, of course giving the right guy half a season to settle in would be brilliant.

But suppose the criteria for replacing Cabaye (similar quality, or with the potential to be, affordable, and interested to come) only threw up two names, Grenier and Cabella. And neither want to move right now. Worth hanging on for? Maybe.

I saw enough chances created against an admittedly poor Norwich side to not give up completely. The real problem has been taking chances and hopefully De Jong can help with that.

I don't think there's anything wrong in buying cheaper young foreign players.

Nobody said there was, though I'd probably disagree with that.

We were just in a much better place financially and on the field when we didn't target players who'd merely ensure our PL survival and bring in a profit when it was time to sell.

"We are delighted to have brought Loic Remy Luuk de Jong to the club in this window and we believe he will form an exciting and effective partnership with Papiss Cisse Loic Remy.

Joe has worked hard on numerous targets, particularly an additional offensive player. However some of the options that were available within our financial means were not as good as the players we already had and there is no point bringing in new players unless they can improve us and take us forward."

Post-window statement sorted.

There's nowt to play for this season, but we'd want his would-be replacement to settle into the side so we could attack next season properly - unless that is... that you didn't give actually give a s*** because

You think I have a suspicious nature? Or you think I'm a mackem?

Beren, your viewpoint is understandable. You could well be spot on. Ideally, yeah, of course giving the right guy half a season to settle in would be brilliant.

But suppose the criteria for replacing Cabaye (similar quality, or with the potential to be, affordable, and interested to come) only threw up two names, Grenier and Cabella. And neither want to move right now. Worth hanging on for? Maybe.

I saw enough chances created against an admittedly poor Norwich side to not give up completely. The real problem has been taking chances and hopefully De Jong can help with that.

Worse, I thought might work for Ashley :laugh:

It's plausible you're right, and that the ones we wanted aren't available - but we would (or at least should) have known they weren't available and continued sourcing while the Cabaye saga dragged on and on. And if we hadn't found one who was available after the dragging out of the Cabaye saga, what's to say we would have by summer? Why not a stop gap? Why not Holtby on loan?

And that's if we ignore the overwhelming body of evidence of utter bastardry that the club has historically. It seems to me that you're really straining the avenues of possibility to find a way for their conduct to be excusable, and I don't see on what basis you would do that, given their track record/openly skinflint bastardry. :lol:

Anyway, I'll leave it here as I have work to do.

All this talk about nothing to play for, we're 9 points off 4th. If we didn't flog Cabaye that would probably be 7. There's everything to play for if we weren't so laughably unambitious.

Fans need to match the clubs ambition by not renewing. Only way to make this cunt leave is making the business shit money.

What's the point if we're not actively looking to purchase his recommendations anymore. He's on the clubs payroll to watch games, thats it.

The proof is staring us in the face, in the last year we've borrowed 2 players.

It's just such an obvious charade designed to mislead fans to pacify them. When the shit was about to hit the fan exactly 12 months ago the board proved they could take decisive action and sign several players to see off the immediate threat. Thy can do it but they're simply choosing not to this year. Even with a wad of cash they simply see no need to invest anything to move the club forward.

And there are still some who continue to make excuses for them and can't see what's happening. 

Thoroughly fucked off with the whole club after this week.

Any idiot would tell you it's far harder to sign a replacement for a star player once they have gone. Especially when they know how much money you received.

Which leads me to assume they knew what they were doing and had absolutely no intention of spending any money, evidenced by not even being in contact with any targets until the penultimate day of the window.

Lose the derby and I think I may need to take a break from it all because sometimes I think, is it really worth getting so invested. The way we are run these days is just utterly depressing.

It's just such an obvious charade designed to mislead fans to pacify them. When the s*** was about to hit the fan exactly 12 months ago the board proved they could take decisive action and sign several players to see off the immediate threat. Thy can do it but they're simply choosing not to this year. Even with a wad of cash they simply see no need to invest anything to move the club forward.

And there are still some who continue to make excuses for them and can't see what's happening.

Feel free to ban them  :lol:

Even though it's no surprise that it was another half arsed attempt to sign a player (especially in a position where we've just sold our key player) it still doesn't become any less infuriating. Another window where our squad is lopsided and thin.

:pards:

Credit to the owner, he's certainly done well to breed such cynicism around the football club and every decision that is made.

We've clearly put a bid in, it's under what Lyon perceive to be his value. This seems to be par for the course for Newcastle. Start low and then work up so you end up paying under the first figure quoted. The snag we've hit here is, the player doesn't want to move mid-season, and he's a tad narcissistic.

The only real point of frustration here is that they didn't sound up their replacements in preparation of Cabaye potentially going. Talk of false bids and not wanting a players is a tad far fetched though.

sounds like our crack negotiation team is proving its ability once again. Christ the only thing JFK's time here has shown is that Llambias was at least in some way competent, then we were cheap bastards but we did sign the occasional player and never leaked anything real at least on nufc end it was all from france, now he's shouting our targets from the roof tops and not actually signing anyone (loans don't count as proper signings in my book)