Lee Charnley

Dave

He's blatantly just going to defer absolutely everything to Rafa now, can see his baldy head popping round the office door "Er, Mr Benitez, do you think it should be custard creams or bourbons for the press today?"

He shouldn't even be allowed to make a decision like that on his own.  He'd probably put out a plate of malted milks and fig rolls.

Nowt wrong with a handful of Fig Newtons tbf.

bloke is still absolutely terrified of putting another foot wrong. waved his mrs and kid off on holiday this week but cancelled his and stayed behind in case it drew criticism.

He might actually come out of all this, a few years down the line, to actually be able to do the job for real. Depends if he watches and learns I suppose.

Unlikely. He's shown utter incompetence at every turn.

In truth, he deserves no credit for Rafa staying - it was the fans that did all the work.

He might actually come out of all this, a few years down the line, to actually be able to do the job for real. Depends if he watches and learns I suppose.

In truth, he deserves no credit for Rafa staying - it was the fans that did all the work.

He still deserves credit for the part he played in it.

Which was what, precisely? Making the fucking tea?

Which was what, precisely? Making the f***ing tea?

Aye, that's what Rafa said he'd done.

Rafa seems to like Charnley, for now.

Probably because he's a massive pushover who will do whatever he's told.

He wasn't when he was dishing out warnings when transfers were talked about on Radio Newcastle. Maybe he realises we have a very good manager and he's supporting him.

Until such time as Benitez comes out and says Charnley was instrumental in him both signing in the first place and staying on after relegation he deserves fucking nothing the useless cunt.

Most logical explanation is Rafa knows he can walk all over him and is being given whatever he wants because they're desperate not to lose him for obvious reasons.

Disagree with this mind, I'm far from his biggest fan but he deserves credit for firstly getting rafa here in the first place and secondly for the part he played in getting the new deal done.

It was the fans that convinced rafa he'd like to stay, no doubt, but the rest of the work in making that a reality was done by Charnley and Ashley, that much can't be denied.

Disagree with this mind, I'm far from his biggest fan but he deserves credit for firstly getting rafa here in the first place and secondly for the part he played in getting the new deal done.

It was the fans that convinced rafa he'd like to stay, no doubt, but the rest of the work in making that a reality was done by Charnley and Ashley, that much can't be denied.

I thought I read Rafa's people approached us initially, so it's not like Charnley had a grand plan to get him here and executed it. It fell in his lap.

Agree with the second part though.

I think we can only really conclude that he is doing a good job when we no longer have to talk about him. Just give the footballing people the resources they need and step back!

No need to start praising any of them to any significant degree until they just let the club run with a level of competency. As soon as it was announced there were some elsewhere who were falling all over themselves to credit Charnley and Ashley. It is euphoric in many ways but I'm getting a bit tired of seeing spikes like this when people should know that it's always about the long game with these people.

The only thing he MAY deserve credit for is getting Ashley to agree to Rafa's demands, Ashley may have already had it in mind to agree. On the Rafa side of things he wanted to come here and ultimately he wanted to stay, all they had to do was agree with what he wanted.

• 1 month later...