Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tron is right though, his goals and assists just inflate his contribution and don't even begin to describe how crap he is.

For one, I don't think anyone on here rates Colback higher than your standard decent PL midfielder, so as per usual he's exaggerating about any relevant perception of him being 'great'.

Secondly, when you've got a defence who don't contribute to goals, wingers/CMs who barely contribute at best, not to mention forwards like Riviere getting games, a midfielder who's played a big part in 10 or so probably deserves far less criticism than most.

For whatever reason Carver doesn't rate Johnny Foreigner Abied and likes to stick with true British grit Taylor, sums him up really. Effort and bluster over actual skill every day of the week. Colback isn't the worst player on the pitch, he shouldn't be in our starting line up, however given the options there's other players to worry more about.

Invisible the last few games? Hardly the mark of a person with homogenous DNA, deserves to be lumped in the same useless boat as his midfield compatriot, Raylor.

How Anita wasn't given a run in the team after that performance vs. West Brom is beyond me. I'd start with Colback and Anita at the very least, if Abeid is deemed too forrin.

A lot of people have a huge chip on their shoulder about Colback for one reason or another.

Over the course of the season, he's probably justified his starting position.

Where has Sissoko been all season? Why is Raylor even getting on the coach?

Tiote has been a complete liability for the past two seasons.

As was said previously, Colback is usually tidy on the ball. No he isn't going to storm the Premier League, but he's not been anywhere near as bad as people make out.

A lot of people have a huge chip on their shoulder about Colback for one reason or another.

As was said previously, Colback is usually tidy on the ball. No he isn't going to storm the Premier League, but he's not been anywhere near as bad as people make out.

He's a 73 on Fifa. End of.

Have no problem with Colback starting if we had an actual game plan that he fit into. My problem is that we have absolutely nothing, and our coaching staff probably hold him in reverence thinking he's England's future captain. It's the perception of him by the club that is worrying, rather than his actual output. If they think he's the dog's bollocks (he isn't), and don't plan on buying a quality midfielder to properly replace Cabaye, then people are rightly going to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to him.

Have no problem with Colback starting if we had an actual game plan that he fit into. My problem is that we have absolutely nothing, and our coaching staff probably hold him in reverence thinking he's England's future captain. It's the perception of him by the club that is worrying, rather than his actual output. If they think he's the dog's bollocks (he isn't), and don't plan on buying a quality midfielder to properly replace Cabaye, then people are rightly going to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to him.

Is Siem not Cabaye's replacement?

Colback to me is a more defensive minded midfielder, whereas Cabaye and Siem are both attack minded and would prefer to play at the top of a diamond.

Colback has always been Tiote's replacement imo and he is much less erratic and better on the ball.

It's not Colback's fault that Siem is allergic to football?

Is Siem not Cabaye's replacement?

Colback to me is a more defensive minded midfielder, whereas Cabaye and Siem are both attack minded and would prefer to play at the top of a diamond.

Colback has always been Tiote's replacement imo and he is much less erratic and better on the ball.

It's not Colback's fault that Siem is allergic to football?

Colback is a pointless player, others being worse than him doesn't make him any better.

I think its unfair that this lad gets all the blame on here. He was FREE, has got a few goals and assists, and actually wants to play for the club. Where as Cabella and De Jong who cost money and haven't contributed nearly as much as their price tag has justified are given a free ride. I strongly believe if you put Colback in a functioning team like Swansea or Everton, he'd perform quite well.

He would start. Are you telling me Colback isn't in the same league as the likes of McCarthy, Shelvey, Ki, Besic, Gibson, Barry, Osman, Britton and Cork?

A few months ago, people were saying how Anita could be a useful "cog" with the right players around him. That's how I see Colback. With the right players around him, he could do an effective job of spraying the ball around and winning tackles.

If they thought he would start in their respective midfields I'm unsure why neither signed him last summer, when he was available for free and they could both blow us out of the water both in terms of ambition and wages.

PS: Cabella has been very disappointing and De Jong injured all the time. Doesn't mean I can't dislike Colback.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-transfer-rumour-mill-6471768

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/swansea-join-race-for-sunderland-s-jack-colback-1-6630651

Also linked with Tottenham in December. West Ham last year. You put anyone one of those players I put up in this team and they'd perform exactly the same. The entire team isn't performing. Even McCarthy was relegated with Wigan and is highly regarded now.

Colback shouldn't get as much abuse on here as he does. He's probably been one of the better players this season tbf.

Also worth noting N-O is my only interaction with Newcastle fans. So I'm not sure if Colback is heralded by the general Newcastle fanbase and that's why he's so hated on some like Smark/Mark wrestling fan type thing.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-transfer-rumour-mill-6471768

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/swansea-join-race-for-sunderland-s-jack-colback-1-6630651

Also linked with Tottenham in December. West Ham last year. You put anyone one of those players I put up in this team and they'd perform exactly the same. The entire team isn't performing. Even McCarthy was relegated with Wigan and is highly regarded now.

Colback shouldn't get as much abuse on here as he does. He's probably been one of the better players this season tbf.

Also worth noting N-O is my only interaction with Newcastle fans. So I'm not sure if Colback is heralded by the general Newcastle fanbase and that's why he's so hated on some like Smark/Mark wrestling fan type thing.

Not sure you've realised how football journalism works.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2317090/Newcastle-owner-Mike-Ashley-eyes-Ronaldinho.html

They make it up.

Wow. You're comparing Newcastle wanting Ronaldinho to Everton scouting Jack Colback.

I've seen it all.

It's a football gossip column. They make it up to fill page space. I just picked the most ridiculous one I could think of. It's not an exception to the rule.

He'd be in my top five performers for the season. Generally, a pretty steady player while the rest of the players have been a shambles. He has also generally been the best option in his position, especially given the injuries to Tiote and Abeid and the rubishness of Anita.

Colback is perfect for an Alan Pardew/John Carver Newcastle side because he can run for days, isn't tasked with doing anything in particular and can hide when he wants. A manager with half a brain would've benched him from the start.

Absolute bullshit. Colback's strengths are not running and winning tackles but passing and maintaining possession. 

This is similar to the James Milner's time here. He was never valued by N-O and when he left, we saw his true potential. Put Colback in a good side with good players and you'd get the best out of him. If by some luck we stay up and appoint a competent manager, Colback would start every game. I guarantee that. He especially wouldn't be left out of the side for Vurnon Anita.

Absolute bullshit. Colback's strengths are not running and winning tackles but passing and maintaining possession. 

This is similar to the James Milner's time here. He was never valued by N-O and when he left, we saw his true potential. Put Colback in a good side with good players and you'd get the best out of him. If by some luck we stay up and appoint a competent manager, Colback would start every game. I guarantee that. He especially wouldn't be left out of the side for Vurnon Anita.

http://i.imgur.com/DcpP1zA.gif

Fwiw, I am not some massive supporter of Colback. I just think he is the best option at the club right now, and is overly criticised. Tiote of 2011 is much better and Abeid definitely has the potential in him to be the better player, but neither are better right now, imo. Good water carrier for NUFC.

Honestly Astro, Milner was miscast at NUFC as a fairly average winger. He really found himself when O'Neill unleashed him in central midfield. Colback is a water carrier wherever he goes, the difference will be the quality of player around him.