Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colback doesn't have the legs to cover a 2-man midfield IMO, at least not after half time. The amount of time he spends jogging between opponents putting no pressure on anyone is unreal.

That said, I will give him a chance this season and I hope he does well.

I don't know how anyone can really like or rate him.  I mean - he's ok.  That's it.  We should be aiming higher than him and that's what worries me.  He'll end up becoming the first name on the teamsheet despite his obvious mediocrity.

:thup: Agreed.

I have no real animus towards him, I don't think he's abhorrent, but as Hughesy says I think he will benefit from positive discrimination by virtue of being British and a local lad.

As a player, he has enthusiasm and decent athleticism for a small guy, but poor technique and little footballing intelligence. It's an immediate glass ceiling on the team having him in central midfield.

The bit about liking his passion is interesting too. I'd love to see us field a team of Colback's and Taylor's, I bet passion would soon be a long way down the list of priorities.

One of the focal points of the AshleyOut protests was 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries'.

Obviously there's a line but even still people need to make up their mind over what they want.

Running around like Captain Fistpumps isn't a way of proving you're trying.

No one says it is.

Taylor can piss off for all I care, but Colback I actually think has some ability... not the greatest in the world, but brings something to the table that is a little different to our other CMs.

My point is you don't always define trying by kissing the badge, etc.

Can someone pull stats on who won the ball back the most in our team versus the minutes they played?

All this talk of Colback's work rate, passion and getting stuck in really has me suspicious. I never see any of these traits when I watch the games. I just see a little boy that is out of his depth.

The bit about liking his passion is interesting too. I'd love to see us field a team of Colback's and Taylor's, I bet passion would soon be a long way down the list of priorities.

One of the focal points of the AshleyOut protests was 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries'.

Obviously there's a line but even still people need to make up their mind over what they want.

No one says it is.

Taylor can piss off for all I care, but Colback I actually think has some ability... not the greatest in the world, but brings something to the table that is a little different to our other CMs.

It's impossible to argue that he gave anything other than 100% last season. Nothing to do with kissing the badge or fist-pumping, don't see why genuine effort from a player is constantly undermined with nonsense like this.

Madras is spot on.

Can someone pull stats on who won the ball back the most in our team versus the minutes they played?

All this talk of Colback's work rate, passion and getting stuck in really has me suspicious. I never see any of these traits when I watch the games. I just see a little boy that is out of his depth.

Stats stats fucking stats, did you know you can pull off a fantastic piece of  play , defensive or attacking without even touching the ball and it wouldn't be marked on any stats sheet ? They can be used as a rule of thimb but never tell the whole story. The world of stats leads you to Allardyce and Pardew.

I'm writing off last season for many due to the tactics (or lack of) and going off what the mackems at work said when we signed him, tidy, wins it, keeps it simple, rarely wastes possession and can chip in with a goal.

I've only seen him make easy passes and running around like a headless chicken chasing the ball. On the plus side he scores goals.

Same, particularly his defensive/positioning game is very weak. Anita is my favourite, but he has his own weaknesses I guess.

As madras says though, everyone except the genuine dross should get a fresh start this season.

One of the focal points of the AshleyOut protests was 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries'

No it wasn't.

Perhaps 'focal point' is a bit strong, but this was given plenty of coverage and tweeted by AO, the BBC etc.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ashleyoutdotcom/status/594483563887722496

I don't see any mention of "a team that tries." A club that tries is a very different concept - hence the use of a different word. If they wanted to use 'team' twice, they'd have done that.

My view is that a club who was trying wouldn't have Jack Colback anywhere near the fucking place.

:thup:

Hardly that difficult to understand the huge difference between the two.

I've only seen him make easy passes and running around like a headless chicken chasing the ball. On the plus side he scores goals.

Same, particularly his defensive/positioning game is very weak. Anita is my favourite, but he has his own weaknesses I guess.

Is there not a note of hypocrisy in saying Colback 'contributes so little' while promoting the works of Vurnon Anita?

Have never seen something overplayed as much as Colback's poor positioning, btw. It seems to have sprouted from the lack of tangible reasons to lay into him.

Is there not a note of hypocrisy in saying Colback 'contributes so little' while promoting the works of Vurnon Anita?

Have never seen something overplayed as much as Colback's poor positioning, btw. It seems to have sprouted from the lack of tangible reasons to lay into him.

Well, IMO Anita has much better movement, stamina and technique, as well as reading the game better and putting more pressure on opponents. His weakness is not as many goals as Colback, but I would have him in my midfield.

Anyway, we've debated Colback and Anita to death, let's just hope whichever one gets a game does a decent job.

When you start 35 games or whatever he did, the least you expect is a handful of goals and assists from the so-called 'focal point' of the team. Christ, Jedinak scored a canny few and Elmohamedy had a good assist rate last season but I'd not have them as starters.

When you start 35 games or whatever he did, the least you expect is a handful of goals and assists from the so-called 'focal point' of the team. Christ, Jedinak scored a canny few and Elmohamedy had a good assist rate last season but I'd not have them as starters.

yet when tiote had his best season for us, and it was a good season he had, his goals and assists stats were shit.

No one says it is.

It's impossible to argue that he gave anything other than 100% last season. Nothing to do with kissing the badge or fist-pumping, don't see why genuine effort from a player is constantly undermined with nonsense like this.

Madras is spot on.

Erm, where did I say Colback didn't give 100%? :lol:

Doesn't Jedinak Palace's set piece taker and Elmo a former winger? Neither are particularly good but not difficult to see why their stats are decent.

Stats aside though, Colback is probably worthy of a starting place in our horrific squad at the minute.

Weaknesses/traits: Positioning, chases ball around like a puppy, leaves gaps, gives away silly free kicks, picks up loads of cards.

Strengths/traits: Passing it short, keeps it "ticking" (although not penetrating enough), keeps it simple.

What he contributes with in terms of goals and such are what you'll get from Craig Gardner etc. That's the type of quality he's in the mould of too. Bang average Premier League player.

Weaknesses/traits: Positioning, chases ball around like a puppy, leaves gaps, gives away silly free kicks, picks up loads of cards.

Strengths/traits: Passing it short, keeps it "ticking" (although not penetrating enough), keeps it simple.

What he contributes with in terms of goals and such are what you'll get from Craig Gardner etc. That's the type of quality he's in the mould of too. Bang average Premier League player.

Reasonable description of him...

No one says it is.

Saylor at his peak is much more effective than Colback could ever be.

Whilst I agree with pretty much all of that.  A lot on here are holding him to very high standards, whilst giving a lot of others a free pass for one reason or another.  The main one being, our horrific coaching setup last year. 

I think pretty much all of the players, bar the obvious ones that aren't good enough, like Willo and probably Gouffran.  Deserve a bit of a chance.  Just to see if they can be effective under a different coaching team.   

Stats stats f***ing stats, did you know you can pull off a fantastic piece of  play , defensive or attacking without even touching the ball and it wouldn't be marked on any stats sheet ? They can be used as a rule of thimb but never tell the whole story. The world of stats leads you to Allardyce and Pardew.

I'm writing off last season for many due to the tactics (or lack of) and going off what the mackems at work said when we signed him, tidy, wins it, keeps it simple, rarely wastes possession and can chip in with a goal.

Well when I watch I see nothing of the sort from him, and so if stats should be ignored also, then I see no reason anyone should be in favour of this guy playing games.

Really don't get the hate for this bloke, if it's based on last season then each player (bar Janmaat and perez) should have their own threads full of hate.

Er, they did.