Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That would say more about how poor Sissoko was in all honesty. A talented but incredibly frustrating player is Sissoko. Pretty much fed up of him tbh.

My worry with Sissoko is that if McClaren is seeking to get us playing in the way that he did with Derby, with a quick passing game through the midfield, that might not suit Sissoko, who's not that technical. His main assets are his strong running and ability to take the ball past people.

That would say more about how poor Sissoko was in all honesty. A talented but incredibly frustrating player is Sissoko. Pretty much fed up of him tbh.

My worry with Sissoko is that if McClaren is seeking to get us playing in the way that he did with Derby, with a quick passing game through the midfield, that might not suit Sissoko, who's not that technical. His main assets are his strong running and ability to take the ball past people.

For someone who's not that technical, he can cross a pretty good ball. Sissoko's main problem is he tries to run past too many players, but since there's not usually any other option it's understandable.

How is Colback more hardworking than someone like Morgan Schneiderlin or Wayne Rooney?

Did someone say he was? Shirley not.

Ground covered is a meaningless stat tbh, Ozil regular covers over 10km per game and no one is going to tell me he's some sort of workhorse.

If you are on the pitch for 90 mins you will cover ground by default.

Not really. Matic, Boyd & Colback were 3 of the hardest working players in the league and the ground covered figures reflect this. I'm normally a hater of any stat-based patter but this one is certainly not 'meaningless'.

Because while he isn't technically great at defending (or barely anything for that matter), he does put himself about the pitch, get in the face of the opposition and put his body in the line for the team.

I can understand people on here really don't like him - which I find really odd with him being a local lad who tries hard - but to try and insinuate that he doesn't graft hard is a bit daft really.

I watched the sacramento match last night and Colback was really off the pace when it comes to pressuring, interceptions, closing pass angles etc, he was laughable tbh.

What he did do well was offer himslef for the pass when we were in possession and also simple passing to his team mates.

He is decent at keeping the team ticking over when in possession but is absolute gash when we don't have the ball, all of this from his showing the other day...

Because while he isn't technically great at defending (or barely anything for that matter), he does put himself about the pitch, get in the face of the opposition and put his body in the line for the team.

I can understand people on here really don't like him - which I find really odd with him being a local lad who tries hard - but to try and insinuate that he doesn't graft hard is a bit daft really.

He's an alright player, nothing more, nothing less. It's typical of this forum to pick a player they like/don't like and massively exaggerate how good/bad he is.

I think he tries hard, it's just not to any great effect. His ability to influence midfield is average in the first half and almost zero when his legs go on about 60 minutes.

I defended him when he signed TBF, I didn't care about the Sunderland link at all. But just watching him, he contributes so little.

He's an alright player, nothing more, nothing less. It's typical of this forum to pick a player they like/don't like and massively exaggerate how good/bad he is.

It's typical of people who can't think to attribute one opinion to a group.

Most people are not claiming he's rubbish though. He's just bog average, has the charisma of a potato, previous in being a t*** for Sunderland, and is now somehow one of the first people on the team sheet +  potential captain. Everything about it makes him annoying.

Rinse and repeat.

For me it's more the fact that his hard work is used as a massive positive of his, when he does little with it. It's not like Rooney, or even 2012 Jonas where they can cover a lot of distance effectively. Jonas would lose the ball in the opponents final 3rd and was athletic enough to sprint the entire length of the pitch to win it back. Jack Colback bounces between the opposition as the play their passing game uninterrupted.

Obviously slightly exaggerating but it often happens with him.

Sissoko is a very limited footballer i'd say.

Fine athlete, poor technique.  Constsnly tries to play the ball through his opponent which when it works, which is once in every thirty, looks like he knows what he is doing.  He rarely does, he couldn't tame the ball with a chair and a whip

I think Colback is a decent player but he shouldn't be captain because he shouldn't start.

We will see loads of Colback this season, so we better get used to it.

He's not s***, he's average.

I wouldn't have him starting in a 4 man midfield, but he can be useful with if we play with 5 man midfield.

People just go over the top on this board.

Nah he shouldn't, he's just not good enough to start at CM when Wijnaldum and Sissoko are better. He's not utterly shite just like Perch and Guthrie were not but he shouldn't start.

Impressive to be able to do all that running and still be totally off the pace and out of position so you have to get booked all the time.

This is simply it. He's running around to no effect.

Also, why doesn't he pass the ball forward? He's terribly over cautious.

De Jong hardly received the ball to feet in that last game, because both he and Anita, kept going sideways and back to bloody Williamson of all people, who then hoofed.

This has been going on for years now. We have an attacking midfielder playing off the front man. Can we please try and get him the ball?! So he has a chance to influence the game.

Who covers our totally inept back 4 between Wijnaldum and Sissoko then ?

Ideally Abeid if he's as good as he showed before he got injured, if not we'll probably need to buy someone as I'm not convinced Anita is the answer. Plus Colback is no DM as he doesn’t have the discipline for it.