Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

We shouldn't talk about Kevin Keegan either, he's not at the club currently you know. Can't reminisce about good memories or follow his current status because of that. That's how things roll.

Comparing HBA with Kevin Keegan. Relevant. Like comparing Demba Ba with Alan Shearer. Are we following Demba Ba BTW? I don't even know where he's playing these days. He was a better player for us than HBA.

The comparison is very apt as it's clearly not a comparison regarding what they did for the club, as that would be a silly comparison as you do point out, it's a comparison regarding how they made the fans feel when they were at the club. When you watched a KK team you were full of optimism and hope. When you watched HBA with the ball you were full of optimism and hope. Then the people running the club took that optimism and hope and threw it in the garbage and put it on fire, which in turn solidified the memory of the optimism and hope one felt earlier, when there's no optimism and hope present anymore. Of course it's part hyperbole how much HBA means to many NUFC fans,  but it's a feeling regarding wasted potential and what could have been if they were just backed - which in turn makes those moments of pure joy mean even more to those who witnessed them.

Guest firetotheworks

We shouldn't talk about Kevin Keegan either, he's not at the club currently you know. Can't reminisce about good memories or follow his current status because of that. That's how things roll.

Comparing HBA with Kevin Keegan. Relevant. Like comparing Demba Ba with Alan Shearer. Are we following Demba Ba BTW? I don't even know where he's playing these days. He was a better player for us than HBA.

Why do you care? Others obviously disagree with that statement.

Guest firetotheworks

What's exactly what you mean? People watching football for more than the usual reason? i.e. it's football. [emoji38]

Rennes v Amiens. Howay.

Howay what? If there's football on telly I'll watch it.

That's totally the same like.

That's totally the same like.

See my post following that one regarding reminiscing of good times and mourning what could have been.

Guest Howaythetoon

You have to be an insufferable, miserable, cold hearted sado masochist wanker to not look at HBA’s time here fondly when he did play or get no joy from a player like him even if he’s long gone from our club. I watched us back then just to see him play because in the main he was a reminder of the players we used to have at our club and the joys to behold in a footballer while all else around him and us was mainly shite. I’ll never forget fat arsed stewards man handling kids going up to HBA at home to Cardiff who just wanted an autograph or a selfie and our reluctant hero basically telling them to do one, that and standing up when the stand up if you hate Ashley/Pardew chants started. Fuck Pardew for all eternity for the way he treated HBA, deliberately denying us of his brilliance and some joy de vivre in our lives as it went against Ashley’s Sports Direct United. How dare they enjoy this, something, anything, the faking mugs. HBA  :smitten:

For the record, I havent't called anyone a fool or said we mustn't talk about HBA, I've even said that I understand why we do. But my opinion is that this fixation is irrational.

"This fixation is so irrational I must go into the thread named after him and tell everyone."

For the record, I havent't called anyone a fool or said we mustn't talk about HBA, I've even said that I understand why we do. But my opinion is that this fixation is irrational.

"This fixation is so irrational I must go into the thread named after him and tell everyone."

Yeah, imagine having opinions and voicing them on an Internet discussion forum. Unheard of.

Everything about HBA's time here was something out of a movie - he arrives, looks amazing, has his leg broken, gives the thumbs up as he's carried off, comes has some stunning performances and then the manager decides every time the team loses its HBAs fault.

I think it would be more fitting for a case study of amazing talent not fulfilling even 75% of their potential.

It’s in his head. His decision making isn’t (or wasn’t, haven’t seen him for 3 years) top notch, making him less effecient than he should be. Technically he’s as good as anyone I’ve seen, but talent is more than technique and a good head on your shoulders is essential.

Talent is a small part, albeit an important part, of achievements. Achieving results is more about characteristics such as determination, self-reflection/critical thinking, finding balance in what you're doing, the right mentality, etc. Even courage is something important. (I'm sure there are other 'less fancied' characteristics out there that are too often forgotten, too).

Broadly speaking, talent is probably around 10-20% of the full picture (if that).

Unfortunately good old HBA was quite short on the less fancied stuff.

Talent is a small part, albeit an important part, of achievements. Achieving results is more about characteristics such as determination, self-reflection/critical thinking, finding balance in what you're doing, the right mentality, etc. Even courage is something important. (I'm sure there are other 'less fancied' characteristics out there that are too often forgotten, too).

Broadly speaking, talent is probably around 10-20% of the full picture (if that).

Unfortunately good old HBA was quite short on the less fancied stuff.

I fully agree but you could argue that those characteristics are also ”talent”.

• 2 weeks later...