Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

"Many coaches are convinced to invent football on the pretext that they are looking for a system to block the opponent," Ben Arfa told France Football. "But this is not in the essence of football, with Mourinho and Simeone."

"It is the antithesis of [former Ajax and Barcelona coach Johan] Cruyff and his freedom, and with them there is no longer room for pleasure."

"There is no more spectacle, to the point that football interests me much less. I do not find pleasure watching matches. Even in Ligue 1, we kill football."

"Cristiano Ronaldo, he does not give me any emotion," the former Nice man said. "He is predictable."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2017/04/04/34301712/simeone-and-mourinho-are-killing-football-ben-arfa-takes-aim

I agree with what he says, but in fairness with the likes of Atletico what do you expect- for them to try and beat Barcelona and Real by playing an open, attacking game? Football is as much about winning as it is about aesthetics, and to some, including myself, the way Simeone has achieved is quite wonderful to watch. However, lets not go overboard- it is simply repulsive to think that a manager can turn his back on someone like Hatem.

Ben Arfa is the type of player who captivates you, and who you genuinely would pay to go and watch. A fantasy type player. To me, he will always be one of the greatest players I have personally ever seen pull on a Newcastle shirt. Such a legend, adore the guy.

Guest neesy111

Shows how naïve he is though.  Yes, everyone would love football to be played beautifully but it's not and he should had realised he needed to develop an attitude where he is there for the team first and foremost.

Similar to what Fergie did with Rooney.

"Many coaches are convinced to invent football on the pretext that they are looking for a system to block the opponent," Ben Arfa told France Football. "But this is not in the essence of football, with Mourinho and Simeone."

"It is the antithesis of [former Ajax and Barcelona coach Johan] Cruyff and his freedom, and with them there is no longer room for pleasure."

"There is no more spectacle, to the point that football interests me much less. I do not find pleasure watching matches. Even in Ligue 1, we kill football."

"Cristiano Ronaldo, he does not give me any emotion," the former Nice man said. "He is predictable."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2017/04/04/34301712/simeone-and-mourinho-are-killing-football-ben-arfa-takes-aim

Was going well until he mentioned the Ronaldo part. :lol: :facepalm:

Was going well until he mentioned the Ronaldo part. [emoji38] :facepalm:

Don't see what's wrong with that bit

That's probably because your love for Ben Arfa is clouding your judgement.

That's probably because your love for Ben Arfa is clouding your judgement.

Nah. I don't get any emotion watching Cristiano Ronaldo playing either. He just does the simple things extraordinarily well. He's not a player you watch a match specifically to watch like Messi, Neymar, Iniesta, etc.

Guest firetotheworks

Have to agree like, Ronaldo's more something I'm incredibly impressed by than really enjoy watching, he's probably the best footballing machine I've ever seen, but it's rare that he does anything that you'd describe as artistry in the Messi, Zidane, Iniesta etc mould. It's not a criticism either, they're just different players.

Ronaldo pretty much revolutionised how you can take a freekick... or shot even.. that knuckle ball thing. I'm sure others did it before but he popularised it.

"Does the simple things extraordinarily well" makes Ronaldo sound like Alan Shearer - no disrespect. He's scored plenty of goals skipping past defenders, with tricks/skill before nestling a difficult finish with his left foot. He's not the most skilful player ever but to act like a 26 year old Ronaldo wasn't a sight to behold is crazy talk. Prime Ronaldo way more exciting to watch than Iniesta and he's been a fantastic player. HBA as well too. He wasn't as graceful as Henry or have as many tricks as Il Ronaldo but let's not under-rate him.

Current Ronaldo is 32 years old. Way more effective than a 32 year old Henry, Ronaldinho, Original Ronaldo and many others. Probably more entertaining too.

Besides the Ronaldo talk - one of the reasons I like James Rodriguez so much is that wildcard aspect he brings. He's a total luxury. Somewhat injury prone. Looks like he'll become a fat bastard as soon as he retires. But he's exciting. C

C.Ronaldo has produced countless breath taking moments throughout his career.

You're splitting hairs.

Splidding

http://rs1190.pbsrc.com/albums/z443/lulamay87/13.gif~c200

You're a dosser and a dwad.

C.Ronaldo has produced countless breath taking moments throughout his career.

You're splitting hairs.

Splidding

http://rs1190.pbsrc.com/albums/z443/lulamay87/13.gif~c200

You're a dosser and a dwad.

33b18bbc19441c61f7e528fa0ecad169.jpg

Shows how naïve he is though.  Yes, everyone would love football to be played beautifully but it's not and he should had realised he needed to develop an attitude where he is there for the team first and foremost.

Similar to what Fergie did with Rooney.

There's more than one way to play entertaining football, you can be a brilliant individual like Hatem, or you can play a great team game like Ajax in the 90's, but he's right about one thing, the way some teams play is about killing the game rather than entertaining. Can't really blame them, but Allardyce is just such a manager. What a cunt at the end of the day.