Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

18 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Honestly a six month stint to save us from relegation would be the stuff dreams are made of and would make him an all time legend. Probably my favourite NUFC player of all time, in terms of how much I enjoyed his style of football. He could defo do a job like 34 year old Peter Beardsley did in the early Keegan years, right? Even if as a playmaker number 10 type. Has he even been linked? 

Beardsley did more than a job - even on his return he was the best player I've ever seen at Newcastle - but he was also a better footballer and a much, much more professional athlete than HBA.  The two are not really comparable - Beardsley wasn't just a mercurial talent; he was the hardest working player on the pitch.  I'm convinced he'd have won the Balon D'Or and European Cups if English teams weren't banned from European competition during his peak years.

On 03/07/2021 at 22:48, Yorkie said:

Would have him back in a heartbeat if by some miracle everything changed for the better this summer. I assume he's well on his way down at this point but the point is to feel and enjoy the people who are associated with your club. I'd enjoy Hatem. 

Stand by this. 

6 hours ago, Heron said:

That's fair. From a purely objective stance, I think he had a bit more end product than ASM but ASM is arguably a more skilful dribbler of the ball, despite not being technically as good.

I think if we had a similar quality team to then, now, ASM would be loved a similar way, but fankly we're well away from that level at present.

Ultimately though, both are FIFA street ballers with a showman attitude in a team game, playing for a club where luxuries cannot be afforded and they need to learn to do more to 'fit' the needs of the team rather than have the team 'fit' their own (personal) needs. 

ASM looks like a dog chasing a balloon compared to HBA man. There’s plenty you can go after HBA for but his dribbling is just not it.

HBA had a much better shot on in him, much better awareness and much better passer of the ball.

I like ASM but he’s not HBA man, no way.

6 hours ago, Amir_9 said:

I was there at St. James' when he scored that goal against Bolton - still remains to be one of the most edge of my seat moments I have experienced going to games. On his day he was the definition of scintillating. The lad had a thunderbastard of a strike on him and some canny tricks - the people who didn't like him were based on his supposed attitude and selfishness but players like him are naturally "selfish" for lack of a better word because they have the skill and magic to make something out of nothing.

Yep, me too, best NUFC goal I’ve seen live, no question.

1 hour ago, Dr Venkman said:

ASM looks like a dog chasing a balloon compared to HBA man. There’s plenty you can go after HBA for but his dribbling is just not it.

HBA had a much better shot on in him, much better awareness and much better passer of the ball.

I like ASM but he’s not HBA man, no way.

Hardly 'going after' Ben Arfa's dribbling... 

I'm merely saying ASM is more skilful at dribbling, which he is. It doesn't mean he's as effective. HBA was a more effective dribbler because he didn't do unnecessary posturing or tricks. However, he wasn't as skilful.

Was definitely on the money when I said this forum had a HBA cult :lol:

1 minute ago, Heron said:

I'm merely saying ASM is more skilful at dribbling, which he is. It doesn't mean he's as effective. HBA was a more effective dribbler because he didn't do unnecessary posturing or tricks. However, he wasn't as skilful.

I would say ASM does more tricks but HBA was more direct. 

Always love how people play down the Bolton goal as ‘all he did was run in a straight line’. :lol:

If it was that easy we’d see goals like that every week, I don’t think I’ve seen one like it. The balance, pace, composure. Personally prefer it to the Blackburn one.

42 minutes ago, Heron said:

I think you’re wrong and I respectfully disagree. On behalf of the cult.

38 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

I think I preferred his one at home to Villa the following season. It was like an absolute rocket and it was with his right peg.

Aye saw that one as well. Great, not as good as the Bolton one IMO.

32 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Always love how people play down the Bolton goal as ‘all he did was run in a straight line’. :lol:

If it was that easy we’d see goals like that every week, I don’t think I’ve seen one like it. The balance, pace, composure. Personally prefer it to the Blackburn one.

The little dink over both centre halves oncoming challenges. The fact he got fouled from behind and was just ‘nah mate, I’m putting this in’.

24 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

The little dink over both centre halves oncoming challenges. The fact he got fouled from behind and was just ‘nah mate, I’m putting this in’.

That dink gets overlooked and dismissed as the defenders just letting him pass, that dink mugged them off and allowed him to get through otherwise he would have been tackled