Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Thing with Ayoze is he'll most often put in a very honest shift, even when he isn't technically at it. Today he showed up in both respects, and when he does he's very, very useful for our overall attacking play.

Superb performance. Well played.

You couldn't be more wrong. Cannot believe you actually watched the game and thought Perez was playing behind Atsu. That is actually incredible to me.

Perez:

VWQTF1e.png

Atsu:

Da9Gvfo.png

Atsu was definitely ahead of Perez at times like, and Gayle went up top when he came on. Absolutely nothing wrong with what Smal said.

Ayoze Perez lead the line man, and moved into the channels to Allow Atsu to move forward at times. It shifted their defenders around and unsettled them. It was very important play from him as the lone striker. Atsu did well to take advantage of the spaces being created, but he in no way lead the line at all.

Perez did not start in the number 10 position at all, and it was a major reason he looked so much better, as he had more room to work with. It is why we did not see him receiving the ball as often in deeper positions, and being pushed off the ball, which happens far too often when he plays there.

We started the game with Atsu probably our most advance player whether by design or otherwise, he seemed to drift about more as the game went on but Perez was creating things for him as he was hanging on the last man in the opening 15 minutes or so. Gayle then came and went up top. Perez put a great shift in and got himself about the pitch, he didn't seem to be stuck with the task of leading the line by himself for the whole game.

I agree he was technically 'leading the line' before Gayle came on like, just the way you carry on is completely unnecessary.

Guest Howaythetoon

Best he’s played in a long time and well taken goal. Lead the line superbly I thought drawing lots of fouls. Maybe that’s his role rather than as a 10 or wide.

You couldn't be more wrong. Cannot believe you actually watched the game and thought Perez was playing behind Atsu. That is actually incredible to me.

Perez:

VWQTF1e.png

Atsu:

Da9Gvfo.png

Atsu was definitely ahead of Perez at times like, and Gayle went up top when he came on. Absolutely nothing wrong with what Smal said.

Ayoze Perez lead the line man, and moved into the channels to Allow Atsu to move forward at times. It shifted their defenders around and unsettled them. It was very important play from him as the lone striker. Atsu did well to take advantage of the spaces being created, but he in no way lead the line at all.

Perez did not start in the number 10 position at all, and it was a major reason he looked so much better, as he had more room to work with. It is why we did not see him receiving the ball as often in deeper positions, and being pushed off the ball, which happens far too often when he plays there.

We started the game with Atsu probably our most advance player whether by design or otherwise, he seemed to drift about more as the game went on but Perez was creating things for him as he was hanging on the last man in the opening 15 minutes or so. Gayle then came and went up top. Perez put a great shift in and got himself about the pitch, he didn't seem to be stuck with the task of leading the line by himself for the whole game.

I agree he was technically 'leading the line' before Gayle came on like, just the way you carry on is completely unnecessary.

He dropped back when Gayle came on, yes.

At the start he was not playing behind Atsu and creating for him. I just don't understand how it appeared that way to anyone. Just genuinely befuddled by that.

At the start he was not playing behind Atsu and creating for him. I just don't understand how it appeared that way to anyone. Just genuinely befuddled by that.

The early part of the match Atsu seemed to clearly be playing further up the pitch to me.

The early part of the match Atsu seemed to clearly be playing further up the pitch to me.

From what I saw he was only moving forward when Perez dropped a little deeper, ebb and flow.

That's 18 of our 22 points this season from games which Perez started, 1.29 points per game from those he's started, 0.5 points per game when he has not.

Holy crap, I had no idea his presence impacts us so much.

That's 18 of our 22 points this season from games which Perez started, 1.29 points per game from those he's started, 0.5 points per game when he has not.

Holy crap, I had no idea his presence impacts us so much.

He hasn't started eight of our games this season, and two of those were against Manchester United and Manchester City, but I still think he's an important player for us despite his faults, whose work during our good run earlier in the season went a little overlooked.

He is such a frustrating player, he has the attributes to be very good, and yet he rarely delivers. I remain concerned he'll never string performances together but would love for him to gain some confidence. Playing well, which sadly is rare, he has goal threat we are sorely lacking. However that is a big risk considering how relentlessly poor he has been for a while. Odd player, maybe he'd thrive in another league but when he first arrived he seemed to have good body strength and a low centre of gravity to spin away from challenges. Now he seems to just go down under pressure too much.

He's a decent little finisher.

Some of his goals look look like the finishes of a world class striker, then at other times he looks like he can't strike the ball to save his life. It's a shame he doesn't get in on goal more, because I reckon he is a canny finisher.

Perez:

VWQTF1e.png

Atsu:

Da9Gvfo.png

Have I gone colour blind or do those heat maps have a shit colour contrast?

He is such a frustrating player, he has the attributes to be very good, and yet he rarely delivers. I remain concerned he'll never string performances together but would love for him to gain some confidence. Playing well, which sadly is rare, he has goal threat we are sorely lacking. However that is a big risk considering how relentlessly poor he has been for a while. Odd player, maybe he'd thrive in another league but when he first arrived he seemed to have good body strength and a low centre of gravity to spin away from challenges. Now he seems to just go down under pressure too much.

Must equally be mental factors as much as physical and technical. You probably forget how to play and pick up loads of bad habits when you play for Pardew and Carver for too long....

Ayoze has really gotten on my tits this season, but fair play to him yesterday. Thought he made some fabulous touches and linked-up really well with Atsu (who I also thought was often our most advanced player, in the first half).