Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

There was nothing rusty in his performance at all. Lunatic.

You obviously missed the ratings Lee Ryder posted from the Sun [emoji38]

Nope, was calling that Rayner fella a lunatic. That's the reason I didn't quote you tbh.  ;)

Ahh! Sorry mate!

There was nothing rusty in his performance at all. Lunatic.

You obviously missed the ratings Lee Ryder posted from the Sun [emoji38]

Nope, was calling that Rayner fella a lunatic. That's the reason I didn't quote you tbh.  ;)

Ahh! Sorry mate!

No problem, should have quoted the twitter link to be clear. :)

So clever on the ball and off it, almost always makes the right decision.  You can't teach that.  Love him.

You can't teach decision making to a footballer? Is it the magic ingredient that you just have or dont? Hello mr Pardew.

I'd agree with Polic like.

Obviously coaching can improve a player's decision making but much of it is down to vision and ability to read the game in a split second, which is largely innate in my opinion.

Both of those things (vision and ability to read the game fast) are constantly taught to players even in a much lower level. As with most abilities some are naturally better at them but the idea that they can't be teached is just simply wrong.

So clever on the ball and off it, almost always makes the right decision.  You can't teach that.  Love him.

You can't teach decision making to a footballer? Is it the magic ingredient that you just have or dont? Hello mr Pardew.

Obviously coaching can improve a player's decision making but much of it is down to vision and ability to read the game in a split second, which is largely innate in my opinion.

Spot on. Difference between a natural and very good player is one had to slog a lot harder to get there.

That said, there has also been some shocking wastes of talent through insufficient application.

Both of those things (vision and ability to read the game fast) are constantly taught to players even in a much lower level. As with most abilities some are naturally better at them but the idea that they can't be teached is just simply wrong.

Obviously they can be improved, that's the whole point of coaching.

But the original point you took issue with was that you can't teach a player to be as clever as Ayoze is, which is absolutely true.

Obviously they can be improved, that's the whole point of coaching.

But the original point you took issue with was that you can't teach a player to be as clever as Ayoze is, which is absolutely true.

I just don't buy the idea that someone being "natural" is so black and white. I'd say the cleverness of a player can be influenced a lot with good coaching, especially when they are young. Someone getting to that level in vision and reading the game is down to a lot of work and development. You can have good DNA but without good coaching it leads to nothing and vice versa a player with worse natural attributes can be improved to a high level with great coaching.

I'm streching a bit here but it's probably not a coincidence that often players from southern Europe excel in these things compared to players in the UK or northern Europe. The coaching they get as kids has been so far ahead of most countries.

Does that not contradict your argument though, there have been various examples down the years of English players that are more than technically adept and possessive of what tends to get called an outstanding "football brain".  The likes of Hoddle, Gascoigne, Scholes, etc.

Does that not contradict your argument though, there have been various examples down the years of English players that are more than technically adept and possessive of what tends to get called an outstanding "football brain".  The likes of Hoddle, Gascoigne, Scholes, etc.

I'm not sure that it does? The question is would there have been more of those players with outstanding football brain with better coaching? Or do generally more players with that description come from countries with great youth coaching systems?

Maybe I was too harsh in my initial argument cause its just an opinion. I don't have any proof either way but I think it's an interesting topic. And a view that seems to be shared by the new generation of coaches at least here.

Guest chopey

I thought it was proven that those ratings weren't Ryders his are in the tomorrows paper (and I bet Perez gets at least an 8)

Mike Williamson's 6'4. Can't teach that.

I think it's coaching and the players own application and attitude, probably going back to when they were very young. Apart from sttrictly physical attributes, I don't think anything is truly innate.

Wasn't far away with his effort in the first half, either. He's just a really tidy forward - many would have just lashed at that but he went for placement from 20-odd yards and it nearly found the corner.

Ayoze once again on the bench.  :dave:

Don't really mind him being on the bench in games like this. He's probably not as threatening as Sissoko or Thauvin on the wing and we probably need 3 in the middle in a game like this as well so we don't get overran

He'll work himself into the 11 IMO. It's between him and De Jong to eventually force their way in and force McClaren to stick Sissoko or Wijnaldum further back.

Ayoze attitude is spot-on, not even worried in the slightest.