Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

Guest neesy111

De Jong's not good enough for the PL, got less pace than Diame.

But has more technical ability in the pinky of his left foot than Diame has in his whole body.

Injury free he has the possibility give us options, especially from the bench.

He won't be injury free though so is a liability.

Well, if we are after a number 10 in anycase then Perez should be that option off the bench surely?  As a player I like players like De Jong, technical etc but it was another signing along with Mitrovic and others where I'm bewildered whoever thought they would be suited to the PL.

Our play did seem better when he was in the side imo.  He could drop off and link up the play and let the midfielders get beyond him which made us a much more fluent side.  Without him in that role we tended to revert to hoofball as the strikers were pretty much isolated.

What technical ability have you seen from De Jong? Looked like a decent goal scorer to me, nothing more. Saw nothing to suggest he could ball like Cabaye.

Well he's a totally different type of player. Good touch and intelligent, can pick a little short pass.

What technical ability have you seen from De Jong? Looked like a decent goal scorer to me, nothing more. Saw nothing to suggest he could ball like Cabaye.

Well he's a totally different type of player. Good touch and intelligent, can pick a little short pass.

The amount of passing and moving in those couple of games he started probably dwarfed the entire previous season's total. We were a lot less predictable with the ball.

Question, if we could somehow guarantee him and Aarons would stay fit for 25+ games this season would you be happy with them being frequent starters/first teamers over two new signings? Judging on the underwhelming players we seem to be linked with so far?

They are more talented than Diame and Gouffran, for example, but I just can't see it happening.

Guest chopey

Question, if we could somehow guarantee him and Aarons would stay fit for 25+ games this season would you be happy with them being frequent starters/first teamers over two new signings? Judging on the underwhelming players we seem to be linked with so far?

I would, I only really want two fullbacks a top quality centre mid and another striker.

They are more talented than Diame and Gouffran, for example, but I just can't see it happening.

Krul, Yedlin, Lejeune, Clark, Dummett, Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden, Aarons, De Jong, Gayle.

Potentially our best lineup currently to start the season with, with minimal injuries I reckon this would keep us up.

For as long as I can remember as a Newcastle fan there seems to have been a random foreign player who ends up becoming a bit cult-ish who I have this irrational hope they'll come good.

One of the first I recall from my youth was of course Jon Dhal Tomasson who was quickly followed by Andreas Andersson. Then Silvio Maric came in to fill this gap. Eventually we had Hugo Viana. Then Albert Luque. There's probably been a few more who I just didn't care about as much (Gavilan, Bassedas, Cabella, Thuavin) but those above seemed to fit that mould.

Now seemingly Siem has fallen into this spot of someone I was really excited about where it just hasn't quite happened. Unfortunately looking at the names I've listed none of them really did enough for the club, albeit Viana had the odd flash here and there. Would be surprised if he comes good and realistically would be surprised if we're in a position where De Jong's going to be starting more than a handful of games next year, even if we don't make the sort of signings we were expecting after promotion.