Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

Think I'd rather give Thauvin a run rather then force Perez out wide to accommodate Siem.

Aye this would be my main problem with it too. You're shifting probably our best player out of his best position to accommodate him

Not seen anything from his limited time on the pitch. At least others who were or are benched (Thauvin, Perez when he wasn't starting, etc.) have had notable cameos where you think, "hmmm, he could do a job for us in time..." But this guy's just looked slow and unimaginative when he's been on. Granted, the time he's been given has been limited. I wouldn't miss him, is what I'm saying. We could do with another defender or midfielder if it means freeing up his wages in the eyes of the board.

Sad it turned out like this for him, but he just doesn't fit anywhere. For some reason we keep signing number 10s, and gini /perez are ahead of him. No where near Mobile enough to play ST and is probably miles behind Mito and Cisse in SMc eyes. Seems to have a great attitude though siems level headed and determined. 

Agree he doesn't look good but at the same time he's had about an hour of football after a year out with a terrible medical problem, think there's certainly room to hope that this isn't as good as he gets.

Anyone remember how turboshit Demba Ba was in his first few games for us, barely looked like a footballer and look what happened there.

I don't necessarily think the problem is even entirely with De Jong; if we had a solid spine and 2 really competent banks of 4 that could defend, get bodies forward and support Mitrovic with De Jong behind then he'd have a role to play as I've no doubt he'd score goals.  Sadly we have none of that and look unlikely to for a very long time, therefore we simply can't carry him as we'd be effectively playing with 10 men in every game.  8 if you count Anita and Colback as a partnership in midfield :lol:

Unfortunately this. I'd love to see him involved more this season mind, as I don't want to write him off already. Can't see him getting many chances unless Perez gets injured, and even so, it's likely that we just move Wijnaldum to the number ten position and bring in Thauvin.

If nobody knows what he's capable of then how do you know he's going to score goals after a run in the team?

Aye it's all guesswork really. I'm not confident he'd perform better than Perez whether he got a run in the team or not

If nobody knows what he's capable of then how do you know he's going to score goals after a run in the team?

Aye it's all guesswork really. I'm not confident he'd perform better than Perez whether he got a run in the team or not

I'd like to see him get a proper run, just so we can see if we're missing out on anything. Would be annoying if it was another Nacho Gonzales, Albert Luque or Xisco type scenario, especially since we're as shit as we are.

Suppose the only way he doesn't get a chance is if Mitrovic and Perez both play well for the rest of the season. Which isn't the worst outcome in the world.

Thing is even if Mitrovic gets crocked (god forbid) not sure he would be the replacement. He's another neither nowt nor summit' player for me.

Can't see him and Ayoze being a good partnership either.

In a front 3 then maybe??

But have we got the midfield to accommodate that...fuck we barely have a midfield to play 442?

lad is undoubtedly talented but I think his future may well be back in another league.

He looks like he might have something about him in the box, so he might do alright playing off Mitrovic. I wouldn't pick hime ahead of Perez or Wijnaldum, but it's not like we'd be messing with a winning formula...

I've seen absolutely nothing of this guy to suggest he could fit in at centre-midfield. 99% of the time he's nowhere to be seen and weak as shit whilst in possession.

Can't speak for his performances at Ajax but he's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in this side. It's a cliche but we need a centre-midfielder who takes the game by the scruff of the neck. Someone who stays strong in possession and can feed the forwards, whilst being positionally astute and physical off the ball. De Jong is absolutely none of those things based on what we've seen so far.

He needs to go tbh, for everyone's sake. A total swing-and-a-miss from day one, just completely the wrong signing.

Same goes for Thauvin mind but I'm again not impressed with McClaren's apparent lack of a plan to integrate the fringe players properly. He's got himself into a situation where he's pinned down by making the result absolutely everything and he's relying on the same 11 players every week then doing a Pardew and throwing the likes of Thauvin in for a few minutes here and there.

Of course, there's no chance that that strategy will bite us on the arse between now and January is there?

Same goes for Thauvin mind but I'm again not impressed with McClaren's apparent lack of a plan to integrate the fringe players properly. He's got himself into a situation where he's pinned down by making the result absolutely everything and he's relying on the same 11 players every week then doing a Pardew and throwing the likes of Thauvin in for a few minutes here and there.

Of course, there's no chance that that strategy will bite us on the arse between now and January is there?

I don't think you can blame him for 'not integrating the fringe players properly'. He sees Wij-Mitro-Ayo-Siss as the front four to go with, which isn't a bad shout by any means. They're our four best attacking players and he's (rightfully, imo) sticking with that set-up. He can't help the fact our centre-midfielders are turgid wank and shackle us from the get-go. Perhaps, in the long-term, Thauvin will take one of Sissoko or Wijnaldum's place, allowing one of them to drop deeper. It'll be easier for him to integrate into a set-up that is solid and well-understood as opposed to hotch-potching from week to week, like Pardew would.

I don't think you can blame him for 'not integrating the fringe players properly'. He sees Wij-Mitro-Ayo-Siss as the front four to go with, which isn't a bad shout by any means. They're our four best attacking players and he's (rightfully, imo) sticking with that set-up. He can't help the fact our centre-midfielders are turgid wank and shackle us from the get-go. Perhaps, in the long-term, Thauvin will take one of Sissoko or Wijnaldum's place, allowing one of them to drop deeper. It'll be easier for him to integrate into a set-up that is solid and well-understood as opposed to hotch-potching from week to week, like Pardew would.

There isn't only one way to play, just he's only managed to find one. I can and do blame him for not integrating players as he's the manager.

• 2 weeks later...