Official: Daryl Janmaat joins Watford for £7m

bowlingcrofty

He's a decent player, certainly one of our better ones, but I wouldn't be gutted or anything to see him go. However, it'll be another position that needs filling and we all know how good we are at doing that.....

I don't care about any player anymore, but I would think it's extremely unlikely we'll be able to replace Janmaat with someone anywhere near as good. We need 3 or 4 new defenders already.

Was just about to edit my post to say this as well. No decent player is going to touch us with a barge pole at the minute.

He has had some very good games and some very poor ones.

In some ways it is hard to judge how good he is because of the dross he has had to play with and Sissoko provides no cover.

Surely he's not good enough for Juventus

As cover maybe, he'll never start for them though.

I don't care about any player anymore, but I would think it's extremely unlikely we'll be able to replace Janmaat with someone anywhere near as good. We need 3 or 4 new defenders already.

In reality it shouldn't be that hard, to me he's one of the most overrated players we've ever had and i don't rate him at all. But we are so inept that we'll probably fuck it up regardless.

We're relying on him too heavily to get in behind defenses. We need to work on other options going forward so his role can decrease and he can just focus on his defensive work. When that's sorted maybe then have him contributing more to attacking play. He looks shit because he's on the ball so bloody often, trying to create something and generate some forward momentum.

Imagine if Gary Neville at the height of his career had played a similar role with nothing but dross in front of him, little movement from teammates, and the right wing was all his responsibility. He'd have looked equally limited and gash. Neville looked decent because he was involved going forward sparingly and as a third runner - an extra option. He wasn't the primary option of attack.  :lol:

They mentioned it on the commentary a few times. Needs to check his run until the midfielder or attacking player in front of him has control of the ball before sprinting down the line to offer wide support. A few times Mitrovic/Shelvey/Wijanldum miscontrolled or were tackled and Janmaat had already been too far up the pitch and had to recover.