Official: Daryl Janmaat joins Watford for £7m

bowlingcrofty

I remember reading somewhere that he was pretty struck by the reception the team got on the last day last season and that had influenced him to stay and give it a chance.  He seems the type who isn't willing to put up with a lack of ambition or second rate bullshit so you'd hope that getting Rafa in and showing that we want to get back to the PL and actually try and compete would have an effect on him.

I like him as a player so I hope he stays and buys into what Rafa is trying to do.  Could be an influential voice in the dressing room.

Possibly.

Staying and getting promoted is more likely than an above average team  coming in for him. Although he's been one of the better players in our horrible last season, he's not exactly put himself in the shop window for a top club.

Maybe he can see past this season and realises if we go back up at the first time of asking we could kick on straight away with a fully backed Rafa, he could end up in a far better position by staying with us it might just take an extra season, after his on and off performances last season the only prem teams he would be looking at would be the newly promoted teams and maybe the odd mid table outfit.

Just stay a season and see how it goes Daryl you curly haired fuck.

I can understand a few of our players taking the 'long' term view (i.e. give it one season and see if we get promoted) rather than Andros Townsend who took the short term view of rushing to get straight back into the Premiership by any means necessary. If things go well for NUFC Townsend may come to regret his decision. A Newcastle United back in the Premiership, managed by Rafa backed by the owner/board has a lot more potential than Crystal Palace.

If he does stay he will be one of our best players next season imo.

I hope so, he started off as one of my favourite players when he arrived, but I'm not sure Rafa is convinced by him. His defending was pretty abysmal at times last season, and is he really going to keep Gamez out?

He's undoubtedly passionate, hence the incident with the fans last season. He's not been perfect for us but I think Rafa could really make him into something special, he'll be absolutely onto him for all the little mistakes he tends to make positioning wise. He's always been great going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Still think he could be a late leaver and go before the transfer window shuts, I will be quite happy if he stays though, think he has a lot of flaws defensively but again under Rafa I think things could improve and he could be important this season and maybe even next if we go up.

Lets hope he stays, should smash this league really.

I'm amazed he's still here.

Same here. If he's here through choice then fair play, but I think it's more likely that there isn't any club that has hardened their interest.

Been impressed with his attitude in Pre-season.

Brave prediction (if he stays) but think he'll score double figures this season.

More like stupid prediction. ;) Double figures from right-back or is he going to play as a winger?

Tavernier scored 15 last season.

Janmatt will proper take the p*ss in this league like Jose but more end product.

Wiki only has him as scoring 10 ? Anyway, while an amazing return for an RB, he's playing in the Scottish Championship which is the equivalent of the conference. Also takes free-kicks.

Championship is a bit of a pissy league but not that bad that a RB would score 10+ goals.

Same here. If he's here through choice then fair play, but I think it's more likely that there isn't any club that has hardened their interest.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's finally happy to be working under a competent coach. He clearly cares about his football, that's why he went mental last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's finally happy to be working under a competent coach. He clearly cares about his football, that's why he went mental last season.

I hope so, but some of his switching off in defensive positions last season can't be attributed just to not being motivated. Sometimes he just went to sleep. He's a good footballer, but at the end of the day he's going to be judged as a defender, that's the part of his game he'll have to get right if he wants a future under Rafa.