Jamaal Lascelles & Karl Darlow

ponsaelius

Generally shocked that we are able to get some young English guys for such prices. Really need to do it more often then. Seemed we got in there before the hype on them got too silly, as most of us don't even know them that well, so this maybe the way forward.

Arsenal offered 5m for Lascelles in 2011 and were turned down..

Guest antz1uk

I think Ashely must have someone like Tom Hagen going around getting dirt on chairmen and putting horses heads in their bed

Guest ElCid

If we sign one  or two other 'first team' players then I can see the sense in this deal. However if these two are the final signings then I would say it is a wasted signing as our first team is in more urgent need of recruits and that 7 million or so could have went towards adding to the areas we are in a desperate need for. We are not in the Chelsea's, Arsenal's, Man Utd's, Man City's etc. position to buy players and then loan them straight out when there are more key first team areas to be addressed. Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong come 31st August - we will see.

Think it's more a case of being able to get these players cheap and Newcastle have jumped at chance. Particularly in light of Pearce's comments about the fee being to small and the fact we have loaned them back. I think we've basically just wanted to get two highly rated youngsters in on the cheap

Guest ElCid

Think it's more a case of being able to get these players cheap and Newcastle have jumped at chance. Particularly in light of Pearce's comments about the fee being to small and the fact we have loaned them back. I think we've basically just wanted to get two highly rated youngsters in on the cheap

Still think the first team comes first especially when there are two or three key positions to be filled and then concentrate on the future. Hope I am agreeing come the 31st but we will see

Stuart Pearce says it will take a 'sensational' offer for Nottingham Forest to sell Jamaal Lascelles

John Percy

04 Jul 2014

Stuart Pearce, the Nottingham Forest manager, has told Tottenham Hotspur and Queens Park Rangers that it will take a “sensational” offer to buy England under-20 international Jamaal Lascelles.

Pearce is determined to keep Lascelles this summer and has already rejected a £4 million bid from QPR in his first official week in charge. Spurs are among a number of Premier League clubs interested in the centre-half, who only signed a new long-term contract with Forest at the end of last season.

Lascelles is rated at around £8 million by Forest and Pearce said he would agree to the sale only if a club were to meet that valuation. “Obviously QPR have let it out and they put money on the table for him but I’ve come here to build the club, not dismantle it,” Pearce said.

“The only way I would accept an offer for our best young players is if it’s sensational and enables me to strengthen the team, so I know at the end of any negotiations I’m stronger than when I started at the offset.

“But the bottom line is we don’t take money for our best young players. The chairman has got enough financial clout to trust my judgment on that. There is no pressure to sell the players.

“Did they [QPR] get near the valuation? No. Young players are a real commodity in this day and age and I think my staff and myself can make him a better footballer by staying at this club.”

Lascelles has also been scouted frequently by Arsenal and Liverpool since his emergence in Forest’s first team.

Stuart Pearce man ... acting and talking like the big I am. What exaclt has he achieved anyway. He's just setting himself up to fall out with the board, and get kicked out like all the rest at Nottingham Forest recently.

Just get on with it, at least you're still going to have the players at your disposal for goodness sake.

Some more Stuart Pearce quotes from his interview on BBC Nottingham radio - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0240klv (starts at about 5 minutes in):

"As I sit here now, I can't defend the decision to sell them because it wasn't my decision.  I'm very disappointed that they've done that and the only upside I've got is I think the nature of the two boys is that they're outstanding kids and they'll want to do everything they possibly can to push us into the Premier League."

"For me, it's not a great business decision. I've seen players like the Chambers of the world going to Arsenal for 16 million and we sell two of our better lads, in my opinion, at cut-price."

"To be fair to both individuals, they're pretty loyal to Nottingham. I think they'll give their lot -- if they don't they won't be in the team. I get the impression that I've got two good kids on our hands and hopefully for our sake and for Newcastle's sake we can improve them as footballers."

"Players were sold without my sanction. I'm pretty disappointed in that."

I still can't accept us as being a club that can sign players and loan them back out mind. It's not TOTALLY against the realms of possibility that we could swap divisions.

Bet you could easily get 100/1 for that like.  Anyway if these were two big signings I'd agree, but its two young players for £5m combined (?).  Assuming we've been told they'll get plenty of games it makes a lot of sense as I doubt they'd get a lot here this season.

Stuart Pearce man ... acting and talking like the big I am. What exaclt has he achieved anyway. He's just setting himself up to fall out with the board, and get kicked out like all the rest at Nottingham Forest recently.

Just get on with it, at least you're still going to have the players at your disposal for goodness sake.

Would you rather Keegan had done that ?

So he takes a job, and within a short period of time has his most important players sold behind his back - and you're having a go at him for being upset? Wonders never cease.

Nature of the job. He can be upset, but if the choice is "sell them now and get immediate funds to improve your squad while still keeping them for a push into the Premier League" or "keep them, but you have no money and we'll sell them next year anyway" then it's a different matter.

That is assuming that they have dealt with us because our terms are upfront money and a loan, opposed to instalments and you lose them immediately. From his point of view it can be a bad thing, or it can be the move that allows him to be successful.

Are you stupid on purpose?

While he is entitled to whinge about his players being sold, Stuart Pearce is yet another who gets top jobs because he was a canny player but is useless with the very different skill set of management IMO.