Newcastle United 0 - 2 Man City - 17/08/14 - Post-match reaction from page 34

BlueStar

Think some people are being a bit harsh on the team today.

I thought we seemed pretty solid throughout and probably deserved something from the game.

Thought Riviere did well from what he had, but desperately needs some support. With De Jong back, or another striker played alongside him, he could bag some goals for us this season.

Disappointed with the result of course, but had a few positives to take away from that.

We'll be alright, think we'll get better and better as the season progresses.

I say nothing which has changed over the last few seasons, this whole defence has got 'ready to concede' written all over it and I'm sorry but there will not be a great amount of goals scored either. Lower - mid table mediocrity at best and I just laughed when I saw the team sheet with Dummet, Anita, Colback, Sissoko,  (3 players with no creativity and goals), Gouffran and Obertan on the bench. Same tactics every season against the bigger teams and as usual the same result. Not one save by Hart and some fans are going on like this was a really decent performance - come on man the whole 90 minutes was just so easy to predict before a ball was even kicked.

I don't think anyone played particularly bad today, and thought everyone for the most part had good games, only player I thought looked bad was Rivière and that was because he looked really nervous, and we just lacked that final finish, which is the same old story, on another day we could have won.

I don't think anyone played particularly bad today, and thought everyone for the most part had good games, only player I thought looked bad was Rivière and that was because he looked really nervous, and we just lacked that final finish, which is the same old story, on another day we could have won.

I thought that Riviere looked handy and put himself about, I didn't think anybody had a bad game but I also don't think Man City did a lot when they had the ball either.

Thought Sissoko looked fairly gash.

Thought Anita, Colback and Cabella stood out. Riviere looked alright in parts.

Individually I thought you played decently enough but no shots on target is obviously unacceptable, and that has to be laid at the feet of your Glorious Leader.

Fairly promising performance I thought. Passed around well at times although obviously the major concern is where the goals are going to come from. Hopefully De Jong will add more of a cutting edge. Play like that against Villa and we shouldn't have any problems.

Particularly pleasing debuts from Cabella and Colback. The latter possibly not as bad as has been made out ermagerd.

POSITIVES:

- Surprised by how much I liked Colback's overall contribution. Typically hard working, but showed some quality as well especially in a midfield three.

- Cabella looks like he's going to be the business. Few bad touches but overall excellent workrate, smart movement, promising link with midfield.

- Sissoko's better in the center even if he had some very strange and wayward passing decisions.

- Riviere looks quicker than expected, showed great strength at times, promising.

- Ayoze and Aarons were lively and fearless (though Aarons dawdled on a pass which led to Aguero's 2nd); Ayoze unlucky not to score after that beautiful footwork

NEGATIVES:

- Coloccino (as David Pleat brilliantly called him) really is a worry especially as it seems like the manager doesn't see his vulnerabilities the way the rest of us do -- and opposing managers will. At fault for both goals and looking as if he's lost more pace than he'd already lost last season. A big, big concern if he's slotted in as an automatic starter.

- Pace of play was far too slow for the vast majority of the game until the young lads came on and injected some pace. Looked a bit leggy and ponderous in the buildup which will never work against a side as good as City.

- No shots on target tells its own story.

- Dummett is awful. LB is a disgrace right now.

- Goufftierrez

INEVITABLES:

- Though the other subs were decent, the first and most influential Pardew sub was idiotic and messed up the entire shape/flow. As per.

- Obertan showed that sparkling regular season form that had his bony ass nailed to the bench.

- Floated set piece to Williamson over and over.

- Lost at home without scoring.

Not that encouraged personally. I think the Anita/Colback/Sissoko trio were ok surprisingly, the passing was a little better than usual, but we looked so limited going forward. No idea where the goals are coming from this season. Not sure City played that well either.

So you're happy with the fact we've sold Cabaye and effectively replaced him with Colback or are you just trying to point score?

Nah, the sale of Cabaye was most displeasing. Doesn't take away from the fact that Colback is a fairly decent player though, although clearly lacking in the creativity department.

So you're happy with the fact we've sold Cabaye and effectively replaced him with Colback or are you just trying to point score?

Nah, the sale of Cabaye was most displeasing. Doesn't take away from the fact that Colback is a fairly decent player though, although clearly lacking in the creativity department.

Aye I'm being a dick for some reason I need to fucking chill, dunno why I'm being so wound up over everything :lol:

Zero shots on target pretty much sums it up, some good build up play (if a little laborious at times when we  needed to break) but never really thought we would actually bury it. Didn't even start to rise out my seat when it fell to Sissoko because I knew what was coming. Young lads looked good, Aaron can't half jump like (/stereotype). Also, what's the fucking point of the magic spray if you just ignore people stepping over it, howay :lol:

Aye I'm being a dick for some reason I need to fucking chill, dunno why I'm being so wound up over everything :lol:

:lol: I've dabbled in post-match arse-ery many times myself.