Aston Villa 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 23/08/14 - Post-match reaction from page 36

Mike

Bossed. :lol:

Are you saying we didn't? Just look at the stats: 60% possession, 11 shots with 4 on target (versus 9 with 0 on target). I'd say that we comprehensively outplayed Villa and most of the write ups I have read concurr.  O0

Wum?

Chelsea had 27 shots to 6 today and they didn't necessarily even boss it :lol:

Totally uninspiring for much of the game - these 2 sides will be vying for the title of closest to watching paint drying this season.

It is clear that the buying and organization of the side(not much of either down to Pardew)is designed to prevent many goals being conceded but its also clear that the formation will struggle to score themselves. Apart from the fact that none of the forwards looks to be a regular scorer in the way that Remy did last season, the build-up is so slow and cautious that even a defence as limited as Villas didn't have much difficulty in getting back to cover before attacks reached their penalty area...this has been a regular feature - and failing - of Pardew sides.

Janmaat looks to be a very promising RB and will be a real asset if he continues to show this sort of form - as has been said, he has settled far quicker than Debuchy did and he is still young for a defender. de Jong obviously has talent and produced the only goal-worthy effort in the second half which could have snatched the 3 points but it would have been a bit of a travesty.

Very little else to comment on other than to say that the game highlighted exactly what most fans with half a brain knew anyway ; Williamson is NOT a PL CB, and we lack a decent striker.

That's it....long hard season lies ahead if we go past the deadline with this forward line.

"We want to be challenged. We want to be pushed to the maximum. We don't want people happy just to see the team drawing away from home. If you don't get positive results, you're going to get that sort of reaction, but we welcome that, we want to strive for the best, we know we're in the best league in world football, so we welcome that expectation."

Roberto Martinez

To be fair, after tonight's debacle he's not the best person to quote.

can't agree - they've had 2 games and only one more point than us but if you were an everton fan which games would you rather have been watching?

Second half was better than first but not anything to write home with. Still so blunt I can't see us doing anything but struggle this season.

Krul - 6 Wasn't really tested

Janmaat - 8 Like him a lot

Colo - 7 Had a good game I thought

Willo - 6 Not sure can blame him to much for red tbh, should have scored really

Dummet - 5 Really uninispiring player

Sissoko - 6 Started brightly but faded

Colback - 6 Decent job in midfield, no creativity though

Anita - 6 Did ok but again helps us in possession, nothing going forward

Gouffran - 4 Did some good tracking back, so Pardew will think he was motm

Riviere - 1 Rubbish

Cabella - 6 Showed good stuff at times, but sloppy first half and really should have scored

De Jong - 7 Liked what we saw

Perez - n/a didn't see enough then got hauled off for some reason

Captain Fistpumps - 0 f*** off please

Pardew - p*ss off.

You're having a laugh ! Read the comments first then look at the marks.... miles off

Good opportunities I remember...

Cabella wide

Janmaat header (not counting his left foot shot)

De Jong shot

Williamson air shot

They were the only clearcut chances I remember, what they classing as the other two?

Riviere's "shot" and the volley Ayoze blazed over.

Good opportunities I remember...

Cabella wide

Janmaat header (not counting his left foot shot)

De Jong shot

Williamson air shot

They were the only clearcut chances I remember, what they classing as the other two?

Riviere's "shot" and the volley Ayoze blazed over.

and Gouffy at the far post in the first half.

incredibly positive match summary on .com like, apparently we created 6 good opportunities and only lack a finisher

Was going to post this. Apparently dominated the game.

Didn't reflect what I watched at all tbh

We created the more clear cut chances, but it was an awful game. Pardew sides are so static its insane. They are either coached to play like this or are too scared to wonder out of position in case we are hit by the counter attack. Either way its absolutely tragic to watch.

incredibly positive match summary on .com like, apparently we created 6 good opportunities and only lack a finisher

Was going to post this. Apparently dominated the game.

Didn't reflect what I watched at all tbh

We were the slightly better of two teams who could finish anywhere between 8th & 16th. Nothing to write home about.

We had the better of it I think but certainly not enough to win. To have a hope of winning you've got to score and the only gilt-edged chance was the De Jong one at the end. Even then it was a regulation save for Guzman, it was blasted straight at him. The inherent problems running through the team that were present from January are still there and we're still showing the relegation form we've had for the last 20 games, it's not a blip or a bad run, and it's not going to get much better.

To be honest I'm not even sure I can be bothered to go out of my way to watch the matches with these kind of displays. It's just a continuation from last season, dull as.

:thup:

Two pretty average teams TBH

No-one on our side looked as if they could hit a barn door - we showed some decent  passing touches mind

They need to learn that banging long high balls into a defence that has shown in the first 15 minutes that they have it under control is a waste of time

Sisoko was always a handful but Villa  hardly played for a win - if you are going to play counter attacking football you need pace and decent balls over the top - they had neither TBH

I counted a total of three saves from BOTh 'keepers

The ref had a bad game - he got a lot wrong for both teams but Wiliamson should have had a straight red for that tackle late in the game - it was a real horror.

I've been to Villa a lot over the years to see us play but it was eerie yesterday - sitting high up in the  Trinity Road stand there were thousands of empty seats behind us and there were large gaps even in the Holte End - never seen that in 40 years

Fair play tho - they all rose for the 17 minute tribute  - not something you'd have seen at some other places I can think of