Crystal Palace manager

Mick

The thing for me as well is that, sure I don't expect some random to be able to go right in and manage a Football club, but what about someone who has never played Football to any high level and works their way up?  That's basically what Mourinho did, he started at the bottom translating and doing a small coaching role.  Then he worked his way gradually up the ladder till he got a small management job, then a larger job and so on.

What would be wrong with a young guy, educating himself then doing his coaching badges and getting a very lowly non league part time assistant to the assistant coaching position?  If he works himself up the ranks, like in any profession wouldn't he have every chance of being as good at coaching and management eventually as some ex Footballer, who just happens to get big chances right away?

Of course that could happen. But such a person would have to get his hands dirty by operating within the messiness of the real world, and having his ideas tested out in a practical way at each stage as he tried to rise up the ladder.

What surprises me is anyone thinking that developing expertise on a computer game can be a substitute for that process, or even for a part of it.

The Football Manager thing has never really been part of my argument (I wasn't the one who started on that track).  I mean, for someone who happens to have played it, that doesn't rule them out as ever being a manager, but it doesn't rule them in either.  I think it was just a bit of an exaggeration really by people saying it, to make the point that most current managers aren't that bright and don't really have great innate management ability.

It's an interesting theory, but talk of computer game players being better at the real thing is a bit cringey IMO. No matter how advanced the software is, it's all still 100% theoretical.

:thup:

Assumes that there's no man-management involved too, which there is, fucking loads.

It's an interesting theory, but talk of computer game players being better at the real thing is a bit cringey IMO. No matter how advanced the software is, it's all still 100% theoretical.

Assumes that there's no man-management involved too, which there is, fucking loads.

At this level its probably one of the big factors that effects form.

If that game Is not going into the man management, club/ squad/team politics, and it assuming that all these things are rosy and every instruction requested by the game player is carried out correctly- then its missing some fundamental things that have to be overcome by a manager.

At this level its probably one of the big factors that effects form.

If that game Is not going into the man management, club/ squad/team politics, and it assuming that all these things are rosy and every instruction requested by the game player is carried out correctly- then its missing some fundamental things that have to be overcome by a manager.

It probably does cover those things, but again it can't possibly account for how inexplicaly mental humans are. Like Slim for example.

I'd laugh and find him entertaining managing someone else, because he's such an idiot.  I have to laugh to keep from crying when he says those things as our manager.

22% of my life. Mint.

Hows that maths degree working out for you then?

I used 24 since it's my birthday next week. And I also used 5 for absolutely no reason at all. I basically performed a completely unrelated calculation.

:lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Mourinho uses or used FM like, there's no getting away from that. It's also about to be used by clubs for scouting. I'm dubious, but it's no less implausible than using prozone etc just because it's a video game.

Mourinho uses or used FM like, there's no getting away from that. It's also about to be used by clubs for scouting. I'm dubious, but it's no less implausible than using prozone etc just because it's a video game.

It's used all over the World and has tie ins with Prozone

http://www.cityam.com/1407765873/premier-league-clubs-use-football-manager-stats-recruit-players

According to The Times, who were granted access to the elite software by Prozone, Recruiter contains video footage of every game played in the world's top 35 leagues, covering 250,00 players who can then be analysed by 400 separate criteria.

There's merits to using the game to make your life as a manager easier, I just don't see how a top FM player would make a good manager. So much more to managing, the pressures alone are far different and then you have the human side to it, managing 25 men from different backgrounds with different demands and issues. You might get a good idea of the tactical side to it, but the games have exploits where certain formations and training set ups get great results on that version of the game.

Guest firetotheworks

There's merits to using the game to make your life as a manager easier, I just don't see how a top FM player would make a good manager. So much more to managing, the pressures alone are far different and then you have the human side to it, managing 25 men from different backgrounds with different demands and issues. You might get a good idea of the tactical side to it, but the games have exploits where certain formations and training set ups get great results on that version of the game.

I think the point is that it's obviously going to help someone rather than hinder them.

I read an article a few years ago which pointed out the wonder kids of games gone by who had gone on to be brilliant in real life. Vincent Kompany was one. Then you have guys like vanden Borre who didn't live up to their FM ability.

Wenger is a definite advocate of the game IMO.

No better but there's reason at all, someone couldn't use that as a platform to learn the craft as a basis to start from and then learn as much about the craft as possible from other mediums.

Be it watching and analysing thousands upon thousands of tapes, reading about inspirational tactical thinkers who have inspired managers today.

Like Wenger, Ancelotti and Mourinho for example. They obviously took what they learnt from somewhere and someone. Things like could mould a successful manager or coach with the right opportunity.