Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Now that he's gone I don't feel such hatred for him any more, and have even thought that he had a hard time of it etc. under fat mike. Out of sight, out of mind???

Feel free to renew your hatred by recalling what a shite football manager he was, as opposed to focusing on the politics of his role at the club under Ashley. If the latter is causing you to doubt his complicity in systematically destroying the entity of the football club - just remember the stuff about refusing to play Ben Arfa or playing Cisse on the wing or losing to the Mackems four times in a row or this or that or this or that or this or that. He was terrible in the dugout before you even begin to question whether or not he was in cahoots with the club's mantra.

Now that he's gone I don't feel such hatred for him any more, and have even thought that he had a hard time of it etc. under fat mike. Out of sight, out of mind???

Feel free to renew your hatred by recalling what a s**** football manager he was, as opposed to focusing on the politics of his role at the club under Ashley. If the latter is causing you to doubt his complicity in systematically destroying the entity of the football club - just remember the stuff about refusing to play Ben Arfa or playing Cisse on the wing or losing to the Mackems for times in a row or this or that or this or that or this or that. He was terrible in the dugout before you even begin to question whether or not he was in cahoots with the club's mantra.

This. I'm relatively neutral regarding Pardew now- he's fucked off and is someone else's problem now. BUT, his shadow still lingers large over the club. Where do people think "you can't compete in the cups without risking relegation" originally came from? Especially given that it first reared it's head during 13/14, after a summer where Ashley pulled Pardew in to explain why the league form had been so shit and he had to find some way to cover his arse. Unfortunately the useless fuckers at the top not only believed him but took it word for word literally.

Feel free to renew your hatred by recalling what a s**** football manager he was, as opposed to focusing on the politics of his role at the club under Ashley. If the latter is causing you to doubt his complicity in systematically destroying the entity of the football club - just remember the stuff about refusing to play Ben Arfa or playing Cisse on the wing or losing to the Mackems for times in a row or this or that or this or that or this or that. He was terrible in the dugout before you even begin to question whether or not he was in cahoots with the club's mantra.

This. I'm relatively neutral regarding Pardew now- he's f***ed off and is someone else's problem now. BUT, his shadow still lingers large over the club. Where do people think "you can't compete in the cups without risking relegation" originally came from? Especially given that it first reared it's head during 13/14, after a summer where Ashley pulled Pardew in to explain why the league form had been so s*** and he had to find some way to cover his arse. Unfortunately the useless f***ers at the top not only believed him but took it word for word literally.

IN his first season we where out the FA Cup in the 3rd round to Morecombe was it? IN the 5th season 3rd or 4th to Brighton.

You may have noticed during 13/14 but I don't think we've had a decent run in any competition under Ashley.

This. I'm relatively neutral regarding Pardew now- he's f***ed off and is someone else's problem now. BUT, his shadow still lingers large over the club. Where do people think "you can't compete in the cups without risking relegation" originally came from? Especially given that it first reared it's head during 13/14, after a summer where Ashley pulled Pardew in to explain why the league form had been so s*** and he had to find some way to cover his arse. Unfortunately the useless f***ers at the top not only believed him but took it word for word literally.

IN his first season we where out the FA Cup in the 3rd round to Morecombe was it? IN the 5th season 3rd or 4th to Brighton.

You may have noticed during 13/14 but I don't think we've had a decent run in any competition under Ashley.

It was during 13/14 when the club officially acknowledged a lack of interest in the cups to a fans forum and outlined their ludicrous "research" into teams competing in cups and getting relegated.

It was during 13/14 when the club officially acknowledged a lack of interest in the cups to a fans forum and outlined their ludicrous "research" into teams competing in cups and getting relegated.

Officially. But it's clear the policy has been long-running and pre-dates that season.

Officially. But it's clear the policy has been long-running and pre-dates that season.

Not necessarily. The defeat to Stevenage and first defeat to Brighton were down to incompetence on the side of the manager and to a certain extent players. We played the best available team at Brighton but got beat by a better team on the day, and were so determined to turn the Stevenage game around that Pardew (laughably) brought on Tiote to save the day when he had originally left him out to save him for the derby.

Tbf we've always dithered and fucked about with the league cup team which has been one of my biggest frustrations with NUFC and in fairness that does pre-date Pardew and if we're honest it pre-dates Ashley too. But again though it's got worse and was never as bad as playing virtual reserve teams at Man City and in the quarter final (!!!) like this season.

If it makes you feel better then cool. But it was obvious before the relegation battle season.

In every season since relegation we've been comfortable or good in the league (except 1) by the time the FA Cup has started. We've never given it a proper go.

Oh and the players weren't arsed for the Brighton game. Weren't arsed with the Blackburn game either  until HBA saved the day.

Why would it make me feel better? What an odd thing to say.

And players not being arsed/manager performing poorly doesn't equate to the club not being arsed with it. That's a relatively recent phenomenon*.

* 2010 I'll give you, difference is we were attempting to actually achieve something in the league that season, win it, and the potential costs of not getting promoted meant it kinda made sense to most. Even then if it wasn't for a laughably slanted refereeing performance we'd have potentially not lost to West Brom.

I wasn't talking to you Ian.

It makes you feel better to believe Alan Pardew ordained the "cups negatively affect league status" mantra and then we suddenly decided to stop bothering. Because he's gone someone else might come in and say "sod that" and change tact.

I fear the reality is - it's been a top down approach for a very long time. Any new manager will have to go against directions from above to make any dent in the cups. Which if having a decent season should be easy enough, surely? But for some reason managers don't do it. Not just ours. We say Pocchettino last year inexplicably play a weaker side in the FA Cup despite easily being the 8th best side in the division for the whole season.

Pardew was prepared to go along with the de-prioritisation of the cups but I don't see any reason to believe he was the originator of it. We've been s*** in the cups for my entire lifetime, and certainly haven't cared as long as Ashley has been owner.

We first started playing ridiculously weakened teams in the FA cup at Brighton in 12/13 on Pardew's watch. Since then it has been an officially announced club policy.

There's a big difference between being shit in the cup as previously and not deciding to bother with it at all

Obviously since then the board have taken it to a stupid degree by calculating the bare minimum expense to stay up then uf they fuck everything else off it = maximum profit!!!

I wasn't talking to you Ian.

It makes you feel better to believe Alan Pardew ordained the "cups negatively affect league status" mantra and then we suddenly decided to stop bothering. Because he's gone someone else might come in and say "sod that" and change tact.

I fear the reality is - it's been a top down approach for a very long time. Any new manager will have to go against directions from above to make any dent in the cups. Which if having a decent season should be easy enough, surely? But for some reason managers don't do it. Not just ours. We say Pocchettino last year inexplicably play a weaker side in the FA Cup despite easily being the 8th best side in the division for the whole season.

No, I completely agree that the policy is unfortunately here to stay under Ashley. I cant ever see a manager capable of saying "sod this I'm going to change this culture" (or with the balls to do it) being employed by this regime. They must've got the idea from somewhere and the only 2 football people we know who Ashley listens to were Pardew and Kinnear, the second was completely discredited and hoyed out on his arse at the end of that season.

The whole thing pisses me right off mind. The added bonus to Ashley being that a free weekend in January = players being rested and not at risk of injury coming up to the end of the transfer window.

Although I disagree strongly and don't like it, I could get why you would rest players in the league cup because those games are played midweek but I don't get why players need to be rested for the FA Cup (unless perhaps you are in a relegation battle) and why Ashley would be happy with the team having so many 2 week breaks when they could be out there generating some income for him.

The one thing that has been proved in the last 2 seasons, is that going out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup allows the team to drift for the rest of the season with nothing to play for.  It increases the unrest amongst the fans.  At least a cup run would help with that and the likelihood of us getting to a final (and the "dreaded" Europa League) is still quite small.

I guess the near relegation when we played in the Europa League hasn't helped but really would a cup run put us in danger.  Look at the momentum it created for Sunderland and it probably saved them from relegation.

It is a ludricous policy and to continue it will be to kill the season every year in January unless we are in a relegation battle.

I thought the bellend wasn't a fan of "emotional crowds"!

“It is an emotional ground. I hope they will be able to transfer that to the Olympic Stadium - I think that is going to be important to West Ham.

I see he's still going on about how hard the Europa League is, and how Thursday to Sunday 'isn't fair'. Wednesday to Saturday is perfectly fine of course.

Yes but he also told us that the Europa League was tougher than the Champions League.