Crystal Palace manager

Mick

"Playing football" has come to encompass meaningless passing aka defending with possession.

No it hasn't.  That's all anyone needs to read of this post. 

You're missing the point spectacularly if you think that keeping the ball on the deck at all times to a fault is what people mean by playing football.

Football is absolutely not just about the end result, you do actually watch Football don't you?, not just look at the final score?

End result meaning scoring goals and not conceding. Or more accurately looking likely to score goals (creating chances) or looking less likely to concede (stopping chances at our end). That to me is the end result. Increasing / decreasing the quality of chances.

Good football to me is a team that creates chances. That's positivity. That's trying to play good football. I haven't seen any improvement in this area, we are arguably worse in this regard than under Pardew.

And defensively, we are almost as bad. Keeping the ball a bit better at times has meant we concede less chances. But the quality of chances teams create against us have managed to get even better.

The CM passing it to the CB isn't positive, it isn't trying to play good football.

"Playing football" has come to encompass meaningless passing aka defending with possession.

No it hasn't.  That's all anyone needs to read of this post. 

You're missing the point spectacularly if you think that keeping the ball on the deck at all times to a fault is what people mean by playing football.

People have said we have attempted to play good football. i haven't seen this at all. ALl i've seen is more pointless passing. I've took this to mean people think the less hoofball and extra pointless passing =  attempting to play good football. To me, both have been methods to play it safe. We still end up giving it away and the opposition are right on us.

Good football is manipulating the opposition to our will. We don't do this at all. Taking risks in attacking areas. I think we have tried in a few games but have lacked the quality from wide and central midfield.

Football is absolutely not just about the end result, you do actually watch Football don't you?, not just look at the final score?

End result meaning scoring goals and not conceding. Or more accurately looking likely to score goals (creating chances) or looking less likely to concede (stopping chances at our end). That to me is the end result. Increasing / decreasing the quality of chances.

Good football to me is a team that creates chances. That's positivity. That's trying to play good football. I haven't seen any improvement in this area, we are arguably worse in this regard than under Pardew.

You're basically saying that if you create chances in a game and don't concede goals then that means you've played good Football.  That's not in the slightest what I mean when I say good Football.  I mean do you sit and watch a game and see some lad smash the ball out of defence, the defender clear it poorly and a striker scramble it into the net and say "Now that's good Football"?

Guest firetotheworks

As usual there's a middle ground between aimless hoofing and pointless possession that's being deliberately ignored for the sake of an argument where there isn't one.

Tbh it's as simple as this - all NUFC fans thought we played good football under Keegan/Robson, and nobody would claim it was tika-taka stuff at all times.

You're talking s****, again.

We didn't pass it aimlessly though. That's my point. We were attacking teams. Both fast and direct teams- forward passes not long balls, although we weren't scared of getting the ball in behind a defence quickly. That's good football. ATTACKING. Creating chances. Moving the ball forward at pace. The most defensive side under those managers had Speed - Jenas in midfield. Gary Speed always wanted to make a forward pass, he was forward thinking. can i find Robert, Alan or Bellamy. Not incessantly back to Titus.

As usual there's a middle ground between aimless hoofing and pointless possession that's being deliberately ignored for the sake of an argument where there isn't one.

:thup: This is it.  I said it weeks ago.  Every fucking thread.

From my POV he appears to be impossible to wind up to the degree he calls me a cunt, he's my kryptonite so far. :(

Tbh it's as simple as this - all NUFC fans thought we played good football under Keegan/Robson, and nobody would claim it was tika-taka stuff at all times.

We didn't pass it aimlessly though. That's my point. We were attacking teams. Both fast and direct teams- forward passes not long balls, although we weren't scared of getting the ball in behind a defence quickly. That's good football. ATTACKING. Creating chances. Moving the ball forward at pace. The most defensive side under those managers had Speed - Jenas in midfield. Gary Speed always wanted to make a forward pass, he was forward thinking. can i find Robert, Alan or Bellamy. Not incessantly back to Titus.

No shit.  Everything you're saying is fucking obvious, so why the fuck you saying it at such irritating and pompous length?

So hoof the ball up the pitch every time you get it, and if you turn a small percentage of those aimless clearances into chances that's good Football?

No of course not. Pardew-ball was shit and bad football. So far SMC-ball is aimless and also bad football.

Good football = getting into attacking positions and creating chances.

Thank you for clarifying what good football is. :lol:

:lol: Not one person wants passing for passing's sake when the team don't look comfortable with it, the movement off the ball needs to be right so we're getting ourselves into good positions and playing penetrative and effective football, rather than having to constantly play it around the back 4. 

Like you say, yet again it's an argument in TCD's own head.  It's like a fucking shit version of Fight Club.

So hoof the ball up the pitch every time you get it, and if you turn a small percentage of those aimless clearances into chances that's good Football?

No of course not. Pardew-ball was shit and bad football. So far SMC-ball is aimless and also bad football.

Good football = getting into attacking positions and creating chances.

Yes at the moment it isn't good Football, again that's why I said "trying" to play not playing.  At least it appears that's the aim, its an attempt to play good Football which currently isn't working.  The shit we played under Pardew wasn't a failed attempt to play good stuff, it was a successful attempt to play utter shit.

http://gifyu.com/images/1bb778.gif

Guest firetotheworks

Thank you for clarifying what good football is. :lol:

:lol: Not one person wants passing for passing's sake when the team don't look comfortable with it, the movement off the ball needs to be right so we're getting ourselves into good positions and playing penetrative and effective football, rather than having to constantly play it around the back 4. 

Like you say, yet again it's an argument in TCD's own head.  It's like a fucking shit version of Fight Club.

:lol:

Gonna run with this.

A pass back procedure 25 yards from goal,  the illusion of safety. Do you know why teams try to score goals? Goals win you games. In the event of watching a football match you cheer when you score you become euphoric...docile, you accept your fate.

Basically Fergie's Man Utd is what I'd class as good football.  Quick, incisive and getting crosses into the box, etc. Similarly Keegan and Robson for us. Alongside that, he knew how to mix it in Europe to get the results through more workman-like performances (utilisation of Ji-Sung Park).

Wenger's Invicibles were of course the ideal, you need the talent to back it up though.

Trying = attempting to push up as a team, attempting forward passes.

We seem perfectly content doing the aimless stuff. Brothers Sideways in midfield isn't an attempt. Only playing 1 out and out striker at a time isn't trying. The only player from a central position that regularly tries to make things happen is Chancel saying eff it and running up the pitch himself. Deliberately playing slow football isn't trying. All i've seen thus far is a failed attempt at making us solid.

We're a generation of men raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer we need or whether it's actually more about gegenpressing.

Shuttlers imo.  I remember a belter one when I went to Epcot.