Rémi Garde and the case of the missing art galleries

Nobody

Remember the cup policy was much born out of Pardew's inability to handle both cups and league.

Our existence as a Premier League team was in jeopardy because of him being s***, not too good the year before.

If that helped develop this unwillingness to qualify for Europe or go for the cups, surely a manager with actual ability can change that by showing them it's doable.

Edit: What Beren said, pretty much.

Thing is, employing a desperate, negative bottom feeder like Pardew is far easier than someone who surely has ambitions beyond leaving for a relegation battle with Crystal Palace a few years down the line. The club must know that people like Garde or de Boer will want to do more than just survive, right? Right? :undecided:

Maybe they intend to sell us as a stepping stone to a better club like they do with players, rather than a long term project. Depending on your opinion on the importance of the manager/head coach within a football club (I believe it is the single most important position, others clearly don't), this approach could work out beneficial for everyone. Including the fans for a change.

Not sure. Garde worked under similar conditions. I don't think the club would have a problem with an ambitious manager per force, but if that ambition required heavy financial backing, of course, there will be an issue.

I think an increasing swathe of clubs operate like this now too. Pardew was an insanely big problem and I do truly believe he was deeply embedded in the regime and that it was his inability to deal with competing in multiple competitions which resulted in the club's policy on focusing exclusively on the league. His removal/replacement may signal the end of it. If a new manager can keep us in the league (it's difficult to fall out of with the dross in there) and bring in extra matchday/TV revenue for Ashley, without requiring extra transfer funds, I can't see it being a problem at the executive level.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but there's nothing to stop us becoming like Southampton are now - with the exception that their academy tends to produce better players.

Absolutely this. I don't think any of this nonsense was going on before Pardew nearly got us relegated trying to juggle PL and Europa League. Ashley would be foolish to turn down a manager on the principle of them wanting to do well in the cups and qualify for Europe, seeing as it would give SD more exposure anyway.

Garde’s chief responsibilities will be on the training ground, and the 48-year-old will be given leeway to appoint his own coaching staff if the terms of a contract can be agreed.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/11715743.Newcastle_start_formal_talks_with_Garde_as_Carver_admits_current_situation_cannot__drag_on_/?ref=rss

If true :fwap:

Garde’s chief responsibilities will be on the training ground, and the 48-year-old will be given leeway to appoint his own coaching staff if the terms of a contract can be agreed.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/11715743.Newcastle_start_formal_talks_with_Garde_as_Carver_admits_current_situation_cannot__drag_on_/?ref=rss

:sweetjesus:

More hope dammit!

Guest firetotheworks

Your mate must be doing well to get such secretive information. Is he Deputy Shift Supervisor at the hotel?

Maybe he's the P.A to the P.A to the P.A. Ever think of that? Ignorant.

Regrettably, in our present situation, I'm absolutely okay with us being a stepping stone for a promising young manager. Who knows - he might even want to stay more than five minutes.

All very promising, this.

Remember the cup policy was much born out of Pardew's inability to handle both cups and league.

Our existence as a Premier League team was in jeopardy because of him being s***, not too good the year before.

If that helped develop this unwillingness to qualify for Europe or go for the cups, surely a manager with actual ability can change that by showing them it's doable.

If you look across the board at top European leagues - clubs in the Europa League tend to do poorer in the league than the season before. And it's simply down to squad depth. The few clubs that seem to maintain or improve league positions tend to have much stronger squads than the average (Spurs & Seville the obvious examples).

We nearly got relegated in 12/13 because we had an absolutely shit manager and, to a lesser extent, a small squad. Not that the fixture pile-up was that much of a pile-up. Ironically - some of our best form came during EL periods.

The whole thing was complete and utter bullshit fabricated by an incompetent pussy of a manager. The worst thing about it was, as UB!'s alluded to, the cunt clearly perpetuated the idea through every hallway at the club. Even the likes of Krul were spouting the same nonsense about the EL killing our season.

The policy of the cup competitions has more to do with the owner and his ambitions for the club rather than any managerial appointment, under any manager we could have the policy would remain the same, no interest in cups and premier league survival is paramount.

The best we can hope for is that we end up doing well in the cups under a new manager who can handle both competitions and Ashley being the mercurial man he is decides to change his stance.

But really why would he? His way guarantees in his mind that the money keeps on rolling in with minimal outlay.

I really doubt that the policy was created because of Pardew alone.

The policy of the cup competitions has more to do with the owner and his ambitions for the club rather than any managerial appointment, under any manager we could have the policy would remain the same, no interest in cups and premier league survival is paramount.

The best we can hope for is that we end up doing well in the cups under a new manager who can handle both competitions and Ashley being the mercurial man he is decides to change his stance.

But really why would he? His way guarantees in his mind that the money keeps on rolling in with minimal outlay.

It was though. Why did Ashley splash out for Cisse full in the knowledge that it made the Europa League such a strong possibility?

Ashley knows diddlysquat about football. He'll react to the people's he's got around him - that's what he's always done. The season we finished 5th, we were in with a shout of finishing in Europe - so in January he spunked a few million on Cisse. Reaction. The season we finished 16th, Pardew's total ineptitude had him convinced that European football wasn't worth it. It's just a reaction.

If we get a decent manager who can handle the impossible job of getting full-internationals to juggle a domestic campaign with a European one, Ashley might review his policies. In fact, he almost definitely will because that's what he's always done.

If you look across the board at top European leagues - clubs in the Europa League tend to do poorer in the league than the season before. And it's simply down to squad depth. The few clubs that seem to maintain or improve league positions tend to have much stronger squads than the average (Spurs & Seville the obvious examples).

Have a read of this: http://sackpardew.com/articles/europaleague/

Firmly believe that, if it comes off, this is absolutely the correct thing to do for the club. I think appointing someone like Garde is a great move and even if it doesn't quite work out then I'll not be criticising the actual appointment in any way. Totally 100% behind it, no guarantees it'll work out the way we want but it's the right move in my opinion.