Rémi Garde and the case of the missing art galleries

Nobody

The more i'm hearing about Garde the more excited i'm getting about him coming in.  he sounds like a perfect fit for our club and a massive upgrade on Pardew.  He's used to the head coach type role, good at bringing on youngsters, experienced, seems tactically sound, good taste in shoes.

Just hope that something can be sorted out where he's allowed to bring in his own backroom team and clear the decks of the rubbish that we have at the moment.

I've just came back from my mates. He works for a hotel in Newcastle, anyway NUFC use them a lot. This weekend they have booked 4 rooms, 1 each for two different managers who were going to be interviewed and 1 each for their agent. Anyway no prizes for guessing who's wrote down for having 1 room. Anyway the other manager is lets say more well known, more so enough for the hotel to inform only a few employees of who he is, have arrangements for him coming through the back door, with only a few staff members being at his service, such as NUFC wanted to keep it a secret. All I'm going to say is his name was written down on the bookings as 'Frank'. Sadly his room was cancelled but the hotel have been informed that during midweek they may need another 2-3 rooms for a player who maybe coming over.

Excellent news as far as Garde is concerned.

General Manager of that Hotel a Dutchman by any chance?

I've just came back from my mates. He works for a hotel in Newcastle, anyway NUFC use them a lot. This weekend they have booked 4 rooms, 1 each for two different managers who were going to be interviewed and 1 each for their agent. Anyway no prizes for guessing who's wrote down for having 1 room. Anyway the other manager is lets say more well known, more so enough for the hotel to inform only a few employees of who he is, have arrangements for him coming through the back door, with only a few staff members being at his service, such as NUFC wanted to keep it a secret. All I'm going to say is his name was written down on the bookings as 'Frank'. Sadly his room was cancelled but the hotel have been informed that during midweek they may need another 2-3 rooms for a player who maybe coming over.

If you're referring to Frank de Boer, which I think you are, he's in Qatar at the moment where Ajax will play in a friendly vs Schalke later today (4.30pm GMT). Sounds like rubbish to me that he would have been booked in for a hotel stay and a job interview in Newcastle.

That's on top of his comments that we are not a club he's interested in, and the fact that people seem to think he's "available" in the summer. Well, his contract runs until 2017, so there would be significant compensation to pay as well. I just can't see it happening really, which is fine by me, as I'd prefer Garde and Tuchel anyway.

1403681553430.gif

http://i.imgur.com/EQmBUnq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rqq2HCT.gif

http://i.imgur.com/rqq2HCT.gif

:lol: Sticky toffee

Thing is, employing a desperate, negative bottom feeder like Pardew is far easier than someone who surely has ambitions beyond leaving for a relegation battle with Crystal Palace a few years down the line. The club must know that people like Garde or de Boer will want to do more than just survive, right? Right? :undecided:

Maybe they intend to sell us as a stepping stone to a better club like they do with players, rather than a long term project. Depending on your opinion on the importance of the manager/head coach within a football club (I believe it is the single most important position, others clearly don't), this approach could work out beneficial for everyone. Including the fans for a change.

Thing is, employing a desperate, negative bottom feeder like Pardew is far easier than someone who surely has ambitions beyond leaving for a relegation battle with Crystal Palace a few years down the line. The club must know that people like Garde or de Boer will want to do more than just survive, right? Right? :undecided:

Maybe they intend to sell us as a stepping stone to a better club like they do with players, rather than a long term project. Depending on your opinion on the importance of the manager/head coach within a football club (I believe it is the single most important position, others clearly don't), this approach could work out beneficial for everyone. Including the fans for a change.

Agreed. It's the best thing for Ashley's regime. Can imagine he's looked at all that juicy profit Southampton made in the summer with envy.

Not sure. Garde worked under similar conditions. I don't think the club would have a problem with an ambitious manager per force, but if that ambition required heavy financial backing, of course, there will be an issue.

I think an increasing swathe of clubs operate like this now too. Pardew was an insanely big problem and I do truly believe he was deeply embedded in the regime and that it was his inability to deal with competing in multiple competitions which resulted in the club's policy on focusing exclusively on the league. His removal/replacement may signal the end of it. If a new manager can keep us in the league (it's difficult to fall out of with the dross in there) and bring in extra matchday/TV revenue for Ashley, without requiring extra transfer funds, I can't see it being a problem at the executive level.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but there's nothing to stop us becoming like Southampton are now - with the exception that their academy tends to produce better players.

Agreed. It's the best thing for Ashley's regime. Can imagine he's looked at all that juicy profit Southampton made in the summer with envy.

That does seem Ashley's dream model. Support an ambitious young coach to a certain level, let everyone see how well he improves players and gains results. Allow that coach to move on (for compensation) before selling all his stars for massive money. Start the process again providing a small percentage of that profit to the new coach to build his own team.

I think in the cases you mention this is definitely how we will try to sell the proposition (Garde with a view to perhaps taking over from Wenger at Arsenal if he does well here, and De Boer at Barcelona, although the latter seems less logical and he would be better off proving his worth in La Liga rather than in the Prem). As you say though, there isn't really much wrong with that approach if it allows you to get more quality (potential) in than you would otherwise.

Not sure. Garde worked under similar conditions. I don't think the club would have a problem with an ambitious manager per force, but if that ambition required heavy financial backing, of course, there will be an issue.

I think an increasing swathe of clubs operate like this now too. Pardew was an insanely big problem and I do truly believe he was deeply embedded in the regime and that it was his inability to deal with competing in multiple competitions which resulted in the club's policy on focusing exclusively on the league. His removal/replacement may signal the end of it. If a new manager can keep us in the league (it's difficult to fall out of with the dross in there) and bring in extra matchday/TV revenue for Ashley, without requiring extra transfer funds, I can't see it being a problem at the executive level.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but there's nothing to stop us becoming like Southampton are now - with the exception that their academy tends to produce better players.

I agree with you.  There's little doubt in my mind that one of the main reasons for our dismissal of the cup competitions was Pardew pushing this agenda behind closed doors.  Ashley's not a football man and neither was Llambias so when their 'football man' Pardew was telling them the reason we were in danger of relegation was the cup competitions putting too much strain on the squad they will most likely have bought it.

A new man coming in with a modicum of ability and ambition will put paid to that lie and expose another of Pardew's excuses for the bullshit it is.

I think its all about control. Ashley has the club exactly where he wants it, before Pardew you couldn't have attracted a decent manager and tell him he's got not or very little say on recruitment. But Pardew towed the line, allowed for Ashley to show his way can work, he can bring in good players and the scouting system works. With our transfer policy constantly reaping financial rewards it can't be seen as a bad thing for managers to tap in to.

The job being advertised as head coach is telling. We've said without doubt we are looking for a continental style manager and i think Ashley has now been sold that on the continent this set up is far more accepted and a foreign coach should work better, as well as being able to get more out of the players which in return equals more cash on sales. MYM will ring alarm bells, that was a wasted opportunity to make a huge profit under a good coach and from reports its= sounded Cabella could have been going the same way.

It now pays for Ashley to have a good manager at the helm, it will in turn make him more money due to players improving to be sold at a later date. This couldn't have been done without first changing expectations within the club and how people perceive it on the outside. Before Pardew the club was seen as a joke, but eventually our transfer and financial policy was seen as a way forward especially under FFP and now the next stage is to get a head coach which will be better suited to the role, and maybe even get a good one with the money Palace gave us for Pardew.

Ashley as usual has played a blinder throughout if this was his plan especially receiving money for a manager he wanted out, not sure if its dumb luck or he's actually a shit hot businessman, i think its probably a bit of both. The twat.