NUFC kits & merchandise: 2024/25 home kit on sale

Ryan

In essence its only a sort of homage cum commerical stunt - its not a deliberte provocation, slight or insensitive move just because people want to take it that way,  like Rangers (who I like by the way) plumbing for orange away strips now and then or Celtic's Irish colours during the IRA troubles which were far more offensive and worth getting excited about, yet no neutral really did.

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Holt is just a bad faith actor. For example:

FSpOfjHXoAAfYJ0.png

given what’s happened in another part of the Middle-East this week, in a country who's teams are allowed to play in UEFA competitions, and there’s been no comment from the new Middle-Eastern political experts Holt and Delaney. Might suggest that they’re not as clued up on all aspects of Middle Eastern geo-politics as they claim.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/11/middleeast/al-jazeera-journalist-killed-intl-hnk/index.html

1 hour ago, St. Maximin said:

I don’t think journalists explain why sportswashing is effective because it isn’t really. I always hear them talking about “the latest disgraceful example of sportswashing” or the like without them really explaining how it’s working or is expected to. The clearest signs of it to me are the minority of Saudi apologists in our fanbase, but in the grand scheme of things their impacts are minimal and I doubt the main target of the takeover. 

Sure we would effectively be advertising their ‘brand’ through this, whether we like it or not (I’d rather not), but it’s done for economic purposes. 

Sportswashing is basically positive PR, the actions of our fanbase have nothing to do with it. Saudi Arabia wants to be associated with a successful Newcastle and other sporting events so those stories dominate people's perceptions of Saudi Arabia and not the stories people currently associate with the country. It's the reason none of the Gulf countries have bought an established top club, say Man U, as their success would not be so closely associated with the ownership and wouldn't really be a "story". The column inches generated by football and sport in general probably dominate more than any other area of the media and are read by supporters all over the world; it is fantastic publicity. 

It's also worth noting that outside of Europe and North America, most people only think about Islam and oil when it comes to Saudi Arabia (in general people in Africa/Asia don't think about the human rights issues (just anecdotal evidence based on my travels and living in different places)) and the Saudi's now want to be known for more than that. The success of Newcastle will also not attract anywhere near the kind of negative scrutiny in those countries like we've seen in England. 

In the medium-term, the Saudi's will want to use Sportswashing to increase tourism in the country/create a travel hub. We are all used to Europeans using Dubai as a bridge to Asia but it's much more than that. For example, from Sudan down East Africa through Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda, all of the upper middle class families in those countries travel to Dubai once or twice a year to do their annual shopping. I'm sure the Saudi's want a bit of that and Jeddah is only about an hour from some of those places as opposed to four hours to Dubai. Long-term the Saudi's will also be looking to attract foreign direct investment through sportswashing.

As an advocate of whataboutery, I am staggered as to the easy ride that the City Football Group gets. I mean an oppressive regime and Ruigang Li. Anyhow, also think that, if authentic, the choice of third-strip was either made by a club employee’s toddler understandably  ignorant of any ramifications or the ownership have decided to expose the fan-base to ever more vitriol; not happy 

18 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Sportswashing is basically positive PR, the actions of our fanbase have nothing to do with it. Saudi Arabia wants to be associated with a successful Newcastle and other sporting events so those stories dominate people's perceptions of Saudi Arabia and not the stories people currently associate with the country. It's the reason none of the Gulf countries have bought an established top club, say Man U, as their success would not be so closely associated with the ownership and wouldn't really be a "story". The column inches generated by football and sport in general probably dominate more than any other area of the media and are read by supporters all over the world; it is fantastic publicity. 

It's also worth noting that outside of Europe and North America, most people only think about Islam and oil when it comes to Saudi Arabia (in general people in Africa/Asia don't think about the human rights issues (just anecdotal evidence based on my travels and living in different places)) and the Saudi's now want to be known for more than that. The success of Newcastle will also not attract anywhere near the kind of negative scrutiny in those countries like we've seen in England. 

In the medium-term, the Saudi's will want to use Sportswashing to increase tourism in the country/create a travel hub. We are all used to Europeans using Dubai as a bridge to Asia but it's much more than that. For example, from Sudan down East Africa through Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda, all of the upper middle class families in those countries travel to Dubai once or twice a year to do their annual shopping. I'm sure the Saudi's want a bit of that and Jeddah is only about an hour from some of those places as opposed to four hours to Dubai. Long-term the Saudi's will also be looking to attract foreign direct investment through sportswashing.

All sounds about right, nicely summed up.

29 minutes ago, Yassassin said:

As an advocate of whataboutery, I am staggered as to the easy ride that the City Football Group gets. I mean an oppressive regime and Ruigang Li. Anyhow, also think that, if authentic, the choice of third-strip was either made by a club employee’s toddler understandably  ignorant of any ramifications or the ownership have decided to expose the fan-base to ever more vitriol; not happy 

Away strip, not 3rd if you’re referring to the lush green and white number? :bluestar:

I am hopeful the club will address this head on now that it's out there and own up to the fact that it was poor judgement and/or explain why they went with it and overall, pull the kit or confirm they've cancelled it with Castore.

40 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I am hopeful the club will address this head on now that it's out there and own up to the fact that it was poor judgement and/or explain why they went with it and overall, pull the kit or confirm they've cancelled it with Castore.

Lol, so what other colours would you like to ban?

42 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I can’t wait for the club to address this and reveal the sponsor.

44 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Absolutely love that this cunt is on the same page as some of the other fannies who are always twisting on here. No doubt some of them share his views on other stuff as well although they won't say it openly.