FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

I don't reckon that there would be many issues with it tbh, give teams 3 reviews per game, allow the fourth officials have access to a TV and it'd only take about a minute to find out if something was called incorrectly.

It wouldn't be a minute though. It's certainly not always that quick in rugby or cricket. They watch the replays over and over, from different angles, rewinding and fastforwarding. It's nauseating. In football there's so much stuff that's down to interpretation, the video ref would be on for fucking ever. So you're then at the point where you probably have to take timekeeping out of the referee's hands and pause the clock. Which is a huge and fundamental change to the sport.

I'm 100% against it. The only other thing I could possible see it at some point maybe working for is offsides, if they can develop a system which calls them immediately like they do for goal line stuff.

I like it how it is. Stop trying to ruin it with silly stuff. Wrong decisions are part of the game, from grass roots to the highest level. Should be consistent across all levels at least.

This would be my preferred option TBH, just accept that referees aren't perfect. And review footage afterwards for diving.

I don't reckon that there would be many issues with it tbh, give teams 3 reviews per game, allow the fourth officials have access to a TV and it'd only take about a minute to find out if something was called incorrectly.

It wouldn't be a minute though. It's certainly not always that quick in rugby or cricket. They watch the replays over and over, from different angles, rewinding and fastforwarding. It's nauseating. In football there's so much stuff that's down to interpretation, the video ref would be on for fucking ever. So you're then at the point where you probably have to take timekeeping out of the referee's hands and pause the clock. Which is a huge and fundamental change to the sport.

I'm 100% against it. The only other thing I could possible see it at some point maybe working for is offsides, if they can develop a system which calls them immediately like they do for goal line stuff.

:thup:

One thing it'd be in favour of is, like in Rugby, being able to hear the refs, so people better understand what was going through their mind when making a decision.

I like that idea, but because it would also broadcast what the players were saying to the referee, and thereby curtail their wining/complaining

It used to be much quicker and less used because they could only check the actual try itself, now they can go back to shit that happened 30 seconds and 7 phases earlier.  It's all about balance, which the IRB fucked up on despite having it right.

One thing that rugby (and I suppose all other sports) has always had over football is a greater deal of respect for the referee and his decisions. The fuss over Joubert's decision is an indication that video replays are starting to undermine that.

Yes, it was a mistake, but an understandable one, and the fact that he was not allowed to go to the TMO for a review has been conveniently ignored. It looks like a very good ref has had his career blighted by this.

• 2 weeks later...

:p

:lol:

Seriously...is he now going to try and play the unfit for any investigation crap.

Sepp Blatter is going to go from claiming to be in best of health when running for re-election to being wheeled into courtrooms with an oxygen tank, I guarantee.

Pas de Michele. Quelle domage...

Ad-hoc Electoral Committee admits five candidates for FIFA presidential election

On 9 November 2015, the Ad-hoc Electoral Committee admitted and declared five candidates eligible to stand for election to the office of FIFA President. The election will take place at the Extraordinary FIFA Congress in Zurich on 26 February 2016.

The candidates admitted and declared are:

HRH Prince Ali Al Hussein

Sheikh Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa

Jérôme Champagne

Gianni Infantino

Tokyo Sexwale

Pursuant to FIFA’s Electoral Regulations and the FIFA Organisation Regulations, the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee conducted integrity checks on the candidates. This two-step process involved first creating detailed reports of risk-relevant information relating to each candidate. The integrity check included a review of corporate records, litigation cases, bankruptcy proceedings, potential regulatory actions taken against the candidate and a review of media reports concerning potential red flags (fraudulent behaviour, match manipulation, human rights violations, etc.). Each candidate was then asked to comment on the content of the detailed report produced.

The final integrity check reports and the comments submitted by the candidates were provided to the members of the Ad-hoc Electoral Committee and evaluated to determine whether each of the candidates fulfilled the requirements for the presidency as outlined in the FIFA Statutes and Regulations.

The Ad-hoc Electoral Committee did not admit the candidature of Musa Hassan Bility, in view of the content of the integrity check report relating to him. For reasons of protection of personality rights, the Ad-hoc Electoral Committee – while it has explained its considerations in detail to Musa Hassan Bility – will not comment publicly on the specifics of its decision.

The decisions of the Ad-hoc Electoral Committee on the eligibility of candidates may be appealed at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne.

The committee will continue to supervise the electoral process to ensure that each candidate complies with all applicable FIFA regulations and provisions leading up to and during the Extraordinary FIFA Congress in February.

Additional details on the electoral process are available in the following FAQ document.