Patrick Vieira - NYCFC manager

Dave

Vieira was a brilliant player but is unproven as a manager so I don't want him.  If the club are to show some ambition they need to bring in a young proven manager who is ambitious himself and has something of a track record.  I don't include McClaren who failed at Derby and was happy to stay with them in the Championship.

:thup:

You know exactly what you'd get with McClaren and it's not particularly interesting.  Vieira could be better, he could be worse, but on that alone I'd prefer him.  I just want to feel something.

Of course ideally we'd get someone who was both proven and has the potential to surprise us.  But Charnley is in charge of it.

Looking at it, he's clearly highly thought of throughout the game, you'd imagine he'd have the respect of the players, and youd think he'd want the game played in the right way. it's whether he can get that across on a day to day basis. I'd be happy to get behind him.

blatantly going to be McLaren.

You know exactly what you'd get with McClaren and it's not particularly interesting.  Vieira could be better, he could be worse, but on that alone I'd prefer him.  I just want to feel something.

Yeah i think this is where I'm at - Vieira might be brilliant, McClaren most definitely won't be and anyone of proven quality isn't coming anywhere hear this NUFC - given the choices I would rather roll the dice on the unproven option.

Vieira was a brilliant player but is unproven as a manager so I don't want him.  If the club are to show some ambition they need to bring in a young proven manager who is ambitious himself and has something of a track record.  I don't include McClaren who failed at Derby and was happy to stay with them in the Championship.

like who though?

Regardless of if he ends up having the talent to achieve anything, I think in terms of intent he'd have passion and drive as a young hungry manager out to prove himself, and wouldn't just be happy going through the motions and doing it as a 9-5.  Which would probably mean as soon as he started asking questions about the club's aims and ambitions he'd tell them to fuck off.

I don't really understand why some would not touch an unproven manager.

We could go proven and get proven mediocrity.

Proven quality is probably hard to attain.

There are a few names left but you could argue even Garde is unproven.

The good proven managers were at some point unproven and we aren't a successful or stable enough club for an unproven manager to be beneath us.

Every good manager ever to exist was at some stage unproven. Keegan, the best NUFC manager in our lifetimes was unproven.

like who though?

Like Garde, Gourvennec, Jemez, De Boer, Galtier, etc?

Can't believe some people could turn this into a negative story. He's unproven and would be a risk but Christ we could do with some excitement.

If it didn't work, I wouldn't blame the hierarchy for taking this sort of risk.

Take risk and excitement over mundane and average all day. Yes I realise those aren't the only two options.

How can hiring the Manchester City U21 manager be seen as a negative story? Come on man.

Just because his abilities are largely unknown doesn't mean it's automatically a commendable risk to take, and they would deserve every piece of criticism if it fails.

If this decision wasn't being made by the same muppets who refused to sack a failing Alan Pardew and gave John Carver the job for half a season I would assume there was some rational thought process behind it, but as it is I'm not exactly trusting of their abilities to pick out an unproven manager from the youth leagues and give him the framework he needs to be successful.

I just feel that in paper we aren't that unattractive. We have a pretty solid/exciting group of Janmaat, Sissoko, de Jong, Cabella, Perez and even Cisse who can get goals....Aaron's is up and coming as well. We were also 10th at Xmas with a negative manager who wasn't getting the best of those players and team so there is clearly some potential.

Yeah the hierarchy is rancid but if they meet with a manager and offer to invest some funds then I would have thought a manger such as Laudrup would find it appealing.

No one would join (Carver notwithstanding) without the chance of some rebuilding and funds so I'm assuming this will be on the table.

like who though?

Like Garde, Gourvennec, Jemez, De Boer, Galtier, etc?

I assumed you meant proven as in premiership.

but even then, any of those would still represent a risk but I get where your coming from in terms of having previously coached.