The Coaching Staff

NUFC

Also friendlies are notoriously not indicative of how a team will perform competitively.

Yeah, I'm just aching to see what our full first team would look like and how they play together. I'm pretty sure it's gonna take a few months to get the Carvdew pheromones out of the dressing room and for us to look like a football team again.

On the other hand, I'm concerned how far down the table we'll be come Christmas if we start the season off craply.

I'm dying to see what a team without a spastic centre half would play like

Mbemba looks like a very good addition, but we could do with bringing in another CB as a priority. That would make a big difference. If you're secure at the back, it frees up the rest of the team, mentally as much as anything.

What 'worries' me so far is we've not gone down the traditional route of trying to fix a shite football team by becoming solid first and then building.

I get that scoring goals and being creative is also a massive problem for us but I suspect unless we address the fact we concede goals for fun as a team then we'll still be in the shit overall.

Over the last 5 seasons (298 matches), we have:

- Conceded (on average) 1.56 goals per game

- Scored (on average) .8 of a goal per game

Plain for any sane person to see what the issues are that need to be addressed.

Isn't that just everything :lol: Not scoring/ creating enough & conceding a fuck tone.

Over the last 5 seasons (298 matches), we have:

- Conceded (on average) 1.56 goals per game

- Scored (on average) .8 of a goal per game

Plain for any sane person to see what the issues are that need to be addressed.

Yep. And we're still playing Williamson, Gouffran, Obertan etc.

At this point in time the team look no better than last year really, equally shambolic at the back and not much better going forward. 

Can't see how a new coaching team didn't come in from day 1 and train them relentlessly to shut up shop.

Team si definitely better than last year man. So far we are yet to sell any good players and we've brought in some quality.

The defence looks worse than ever to me like, and there's still no semblance of defensive or indeed team organisation or transitioning.

This is a thread about the new coaching team not new signings, so far I'm disappointed in their output, albeit I'm fully aware of the near terminal damage your man Pardew did to the club so I shouldn't be surprised.

Of course we are but it's not really the point as it's still nowhere near enough. When Cabaye left we were in the top 6, since then we have lost Debuchy, Remy, Ben Arfa, Santon and Yanga-Mbiwa. That's an awful lot of talent to lose and the vast majority haven't really been replaced, 2 or 3more quality players and i'd be relatively positive about the situation seeing as we would have replaced 5 or 6 talented players with 5 or 6 talented players.

It's just replacing players we lost for no reason for some of it, but at least we wouldn't be disgustingly short like we are now.

Team si definitely better than last year man. So far we are yet to sell any good players and we've brought in some quality.

The defence looks worse than ever to me like, and there's still no semblance of defensive or indeed team organisation or transitioning.

This is a thread about the new coaching team not new signings, so far I'm disappointed in their output, albeit I'm fully aware of the near terminal damage your man Pardew did to the club so I shouldn't be surprised.

What he said.

The defence needs way more than just the addition of Mbemba. We need one more CB so we can build our team around a brand new defensive partnership, and in terms of attack get rid of Obertan and Gouffran.

I haven't watched a single second of pre season, but i really can't take any of it serious considering even under Pardew we looked better in pre season than we would in a professional game :lol:

I'll judge them when i see how the team performs against Southampton.

I haven't watched a single second of pre season, but i really can't take any of it serious considering even under Pardew we looked better in pre season than we would in a professional game :lol:

I'll judge them when i see how the team performs against Southampton.

Second only to sheer talent in the best defences is organisation and understanding. Getting the basics right, knowing who's doing what, where your teammate will be and so on.

Through a shock combination of not signing players, not signing players early enough and having utterly stupid pre-season arrangements our defence for Southampton based purely on pre-season minutes together to date is Janmaat, Williamson, Lascelles, Haidara. :slowclap: :slowclap:

What he said.

The defence needs way more than just the addition of Mbemba. We need one more CB so we can build our team around a brand new defensive partnership, and in terms of attack get rid of Obertan and Gouffran.

If I was going into NUFC on the back of the hundreds of fucking goals we've been letting in (literally) I'd have started with getting the team to defend as a whole and stop conceding goals. Relentless drills, double training sessions, everything.

Teams can close up with shit players, it happens all the time. Had they done this then added better players as they come along, like Mbemba, then it's a platform for success and to open up and get better.

They appear not to be doing this however and we look likely to concede at any given moment with less than two weeks to the start of the season and a 20 year old our only likely new addition.

It really does not bode well just now, we've not tightened up in the slightest, which is mental.

I'll start to worry if we look shit in competitive games, friendlies mean fuck all.  Look at the Championship season for example, smashed 6 - 1 by League One Leyton Orient two weeks before the season started, then went on the piss the Championship.

I'll start to worry if we look s*** in competitive games, friendlies mean f*** all.  Look at the Championship season for example, smashed 6 - 1 by League One Leyton Orient two weeks before the season started, then went on the p*ss the Championship.

:thup: Also the players have been terribly coached for years. It took a long time for things to shape up under Keegan the 2nd time because Allardyce had fostered such deep rooted turgid football in the players.

I'd say we are two or three players short of being a guaranteed top 10 outfit.  CB, LB and a DM.  The latter wouldn't be a problem if Tiote regains fitness and form.

Defence is the biggest area of concern.  Not just because our CB options are more than ropy in defence, but the ball retention ability is pretty useless.  Good teams need to be able to recycle possession in and out of the defence and through the full backs.  I'm sure Janmaat is capable of fulfilling that on the right, but I don't have too much faith in either of our LB options at present.  And that's before we consider Willo.  At least Taylor is competent in possession.

I'd say we are two or three players short of being a guaranteed top 10 outfit.  CB, LB and a DM.  The latter wouldn't be a problem if Tiote regains fitness and form.

Defence is the biggest area of concern.  Not just because our CB options are more than ropy in defence, but the ball retention ability is pretty useless.  Good teams need to be able to recycle possession in and out of the defence and through the full backs.  I'm sure Janmaat is capable of fulfilling that on the right, but I don't have too much faith in either of our LB options at present.  And that's before we consider Willo.  At least Taylor is competent in possession.

Hopefully the acquisition of Wijnaldum and Mitrovic will help us keep the ball higher up the pitch. Our inability to make the ball stick as far away from our fragile defence as possible has contributed massively to the number of arse-whoopings we've endured in recent seasons.

Obviously the need for urgent attention to our back line is there, but I'm hoping McClaren and the coaching staff have a plan B in case we do have to go through the first part of the season with only Mbemba as an addition at the back.