The Coaching Staff

NUFC

Matt Smith ‏@MattSmithWCS 53m53 minutes ago

McClaren & Cathro impact is evident. Ball played on the deck. Darlow distributing to full backs from GK kicks. Much more press/energy. #NUFC

Thank God!!!

Can't wait to see this high line with Colo, Taylor and Williamson. Regardless of us signing a centre back, one of them is likely to be first choice.

Colo could work in a highline as long as it's coached effectively pace doesn't actually matter so much, we'll need a quality CB brought in regardless.

Nah man. John Terry is a brilliant defender but he can't cope in a highline. You can give him, Colo & Willo a yard or two against most quick forwards, they'll be overtaken and get us into trouble. I have vivid memories of John Terry pretending to slip as RVP leaves him for dead.

I hope it's Dummett + a new signing at CB tbh.

Only because it wasn't done correctly, if you press effectively as a moving block pace can be cancelled out. But the entire team has to be coached so the space between the lines are limited. It can be definitely be done, Pique isn't exactly fast. But as i said we need a quality CB regardless.

Guest neesy111

McClaren & Cathro impact is evident. Ball played on the deck. Darlow distributing to full backs from GK kicks. Much more press/energy. #NUFC

Load of rubbish since its pre season tbh.

Agreed, remember people saying the same about Pardew during pre season as well.

Agreed, remember people saying the same about Pardew during pre season as well.

Really?

Yes.

There was lots of talk nearly every year about possession football and how we need to keep the ball better and because we did in pre season we thought it would translate to the regular season and it would get abandoned 5 mins in.

When we keep the ball better in a league game i'll believe it.

McClaren will probably be trying out various things in these games, if we don't look comfortable playing possession football against the likes of Gateshead then it's probably not worth implementing it during actual league games. I know these things take time of course, you can't expect a team to immediately be comfortable playing a new style (for many/most of our players) but I'd imagine you can get a pretty good idea quickly about who is and is not going to be able to play that way.

Siem de Jong: "McClaren likes us to keep the ball, which is different to the previous set-up"

Might be totally wrong, but i have a feeling that Anita will have an important role for us. Whatever some of you say

i have a lot of belief in Anita as a player and in a functional football team with a manager who believes in him i have

high hopes that he'll show that he's more than good enough!

Guest neesy111

Yes.

There was lots of talk nearly every year about possession football and how we need to keep the ball better and because we did in pre season we thought it would translate to the regular season and it would get abandoned 5 mins in.

When we keep the ball better in a league game i'll believe it.

I saw us play possession football under Allardyce in pre-season.  :yao:

Siem de Jong: "McClaren likes us to keep the ball, which is different to the previous set-up"

Might be totally wrong, but i have a feeling that Anita will have an important role for us. Whatever some of you say

i have a lot of belief in Anita as a player and in a functional football team with a manager who believes in him i have

agree about anita though i'm not sure he'll get as far as he should due to the surplus of midfielders we've got

It can be definitely be done, Pique isn't exactly fast. But as i said we need a quality CB regardless.

And that's why we pair him with Mascherano. Masch gets such a bad rap as CB, but he's been integral to our success since Puyol's legs fell off.

That said, Piqué is actually deceptively pacy. He just has a bad acceleration, so his burst response is bad.

agree about anita though i'm not sure he'll get as far as he should due to the surplus of midfielders we've got

Mclaren keeps referring to how we played in the west ham game and Anita was pivotal in that performance. That plus the Dutch football links and style of play, I agree he'll come in more now. Hope so anyway.

I'm 100% on board with the coaches now, if not entirely with the manager. Best team we've had for years.

We still seem light on coaching staff and I'm gutted we missed out on Steele and are stuck with woodman.

I'm 100% on board with the coaches now, if not entirely with the manager. Best team we've had for years.

We still seem light on coaching staff and I'm gutted we missed out on Steele and are stuck with woodman.

Are Palace not keen on Woodman?  I could still see Steele coming in once Woodman has been moved on.

Are Palace not still keen on Woodman?  I could still see Steele coming in once Woodman has been moved on.

They are but the problem is Woodmans son who is also contracted to us.

We are stuck with Woodman sadly.