England

Yorkie

Guest neesy111

Love that gypsy. Him and Kane. Likeable England players, it's weird.

Aye, it's the first like able england team in ages.

Rooney's best performance at a finals is still his breakthrough euros (2004?). That's even more reason to sack him off and gamble on Kane.

Kane isn't a gamble, and nobody has advocated leaving him out anyway. Kane has to start, no question.

Aye. Gamble was definitely the wrong word. I think I meant to say Roy should have the conviction to leave Rooney out of any starting line up.

Thing is, Roy knows that if we fail at the Euros he won't be in charge come the next World Cup. He'll pick his best team.

No chance. He'll pick and start Rooney. It's the new Gerrard and Lampard. The zillionth time's the charm...

Guest Phillipealbert

Don't think Rooney looks after himself at all well. We certainly have much better options now.

I think 95% of the nation will be furious if Hodgson plays Rooney at the Euros.  He's nowhere near good enough to be in the squad, and hasn't been for years.  Should be given the opportunity to retire from International football, before he gets the shove.

Can't remember the last time I was genuinely impressed by a Rooney performance, it's mystery why there's even so much debate about his place. He's miles behind the likes of Kane and Vardy. Squad place probably, first XI no chance.

He's Captain, innit.

If Rooney didn't play for Man Utd then you know that theirs not a chance that he would be picked.

It's not 2014 anymore, he should be moved on, not only from Emgland but from Man Utd as well. I'm not going to lie, I would rather take Carroll ahead of Rooney.

If Rashford carries on the way he has been going, staying in the Man U first team, and firing Man United into the Champions League by continuing to score goals at his current rate ... I certainly wouldn't begrudge him being called up!

His pace and directness would be lethal off the bench against any team. He also gets into goal scoring positions really well for his age. Fantastic movement.

When Dele Alli and Dier where initially called there was a bit of mumbling about it being premature, and hey presto.

Yeah, Shearer was playing well at club level but had went a few friendly internationals without scoring, so the media made a lot of fuss about nothing as they often do.

Aye, 31 league goals that season leading into the tournament.

Guest Phillipealbert

Shearer was at the peak of his powers then though. Far superior to what Rooney is now.

Spot on.  Shearer banged goals in consistently, against all sides despite three potentially career ending injuries.

Rooney is a flat track bully.  Happy to get a couple against wank teams, and gets to (badly) take the penalties which inflate his stats, but he always goes missing against half decent sides.

Shearer was ten times the player Rooney is.

Guest neesy111

Shearer was at the peak of his powers then though. Far superior to what Rooney is now.

Spot on.  Shearer banged goals in consistently, against all sides despite three potentially career ending injuries.

Rooney is a flat track bully.  Happy to get a couple against wank teams, and gets to (badly) take the penalties which inflate his stats, but he always goes missing against half decent sides.

Shearer was ten times the player Rooney is.

Shearer did take penalties as well.

Don't see what is so funny with what Stifler said tbh.

He's right.

We have many better options in the role that Rooney will be playing in as a number 10. Options that are younger, fitter and not laden with the abject failure of his last tournament performances for his country.

He has done little if anything to warrant starting ahead of Barkley, Alli, Vardy et al.

He has flattered to deceive in his last couple of tournaments and as someone said is somewhat of a flat track bully. 2010 being a disgrace in all honesty.

Whilst not saying Carroll is the answer, another option like that would be more sensible than taking a half fit Rooney when we have a plethora of options at 10.

The option of a different approach to a game that could be got from a Carroll or Deeney type may be the wiser move.

If he is taken ahead of a young in form lad, and is a regular starter then we will not do as well imo.

Not sure I would even take him as things stand.

The team that Hodgson started with last night (with the exception of Butland) should be the team that starts at the Euro's IMO.

Not sure about Clyne or Cahill but we don't have anyone better I can think of off the top of my head. Stones is maybe a bit too raw. Rose & Smalling should be nailed on starters though, regardless of whether or not Baines is back.

Dier is class, Henderson can do a job there. I'd like to take Wilshere but his injury track record is about as bad as Siem's.

Lallana is looking like his old-self at Southampton - if not, better - since Klopp's arrival. Alli picks himself and Welbeck is looking like Arsenal's best striker and far more mature, plus has an extremely good scoring track record for England.

Not even worth mentioning why Kane needs to go. I thought his form last season was nowt more than a flash in the pan and had a right good giggle when people were saying 'the next Shearer'. He f***ing really could be.

The team that Hodgson started with last night (with the exception of Butland) should be the team that starts at the Euro's IMO.

Not sure about Clyne or Cahill but we don't have anyone better I can think of off the top of my head. Stones is maybe a bit too raw. Rose & Smalling should be nailed on starters though, regardless of whether or not Baines is back.

Dier is class, Henderson can do a job there. I'd like to take Wilshere but his injury track record is about as bad as Siem's.

Lallana is looking like his old-self at Southampton - if not, better - since Klopp's arrival. Alli picks himself and Welbeck is looking like Arsenal's best striker and far more mature, plus has an extremely good scoring track record for England.

Not even worth mentioning why Kane needs to go. I thought his form last season was nowt more than a flash in the pan and had a right good giggle when people were saying 'the next Shearer'. He f***ing really could be.

I agree with this, but i'd probably play Vardy ahead of Welbeck, mainly as his confidence is going to be high going into the Euro's and where as Welbeck is going to still be coming back from injury, and discovering form. I'd also maybe pick Barkley ahead of Henderson, but that on is debatable, and dependant on what formation we'd be playing.