England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

I think we all agree that the Nations League is an absolute crock of shite and literally no one gives a shit. We also agree that the International players are all knackered and will be knackered leading into the new season and then into WC22.

Why not pitch the NL as a 2nd XI competition, where countries enter their 'A' teams? Would be a good chance to blood youngsters and to give players who ordinarily wouldn't get to play International football a chance to pull on their national shirt. Would then generate interest from fans of those players' clubs, rather than the mass apathy of seeing the same old players who bore us for the 1st XIs turning out more dross in games of no consequence.

Just now, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I think we all agree that the Nations League is an absolute crock of shite and literally no one gives a shit. We also agree that the International players are all knackered and will be knackered leading into the new season and then into WC22.

Why not pitch the NL as a 2nd XI competition, where countries enter their 'A' teams? Would be a good chance to blood youngsters and to give players who ordinarily wouldn't get to play International football a chance to pull on their national shirt. Would then generate interest from fans of those players' clubs, rather than the mass apathy of seeing the same old players who bore us for the 1st XIs turning out more dross in games of no consequence.

Not for me I quite like it. 

1 minute ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

It's a million miles better than the pointless friendlies which would have been played in its place.

International managers still have the choice to play second XIs, no-one is forcing them to do otherwise.  Besides, the second XIs / U-23s are just as liable to be knackered.  From the formation of FIFA, the pre-war WCs, the inception of the European club competitions etc the English (and British) have a long-standing tradition of putting down anything new.  Until its been around long enough to become somewhat venerable, then they embrace it.

I'm not a massive fan of international football full-stop - Newcastle winning a corner stirs my blood more than England winning a game - but I do think the NL is a canny idea.

should have given quite a few of the first teamers a couple of weeks off to recouperate and gone with a shadow squad for this couple of matches.

tripps, grealish, sterling and a few others could have still gone as they havent been overplayed this season.

Edited by huss9

Hard to judge games like this. I hope next time we go with our most attacking lineup and go for the kill. I haven’t seen England unleashed since the 3-2 win vs Spain in the Nations League four years ago. 

I told my brother, Pickford has two more strikes before his position becomes questionable. Has to do better. He should be absolutely raging. Unacceptable as this generation’s number one. 

Edited by Astroblack

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

should have given quite a few of the first teamers a couple of weeks off to recouperate and gone with a shadow squad for this couple of matches.

tripps, grealish, sterling and a few others could have still gone as they havent been overplayed this season.

Maybe, but it’s not really Southgate’s job to help players or work around the requirements of international football. He’s there to do as well as he can with the England team. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Maybe, but it’s not really Southgate’s job to help players or work around the requirements of international football. He’s there to do as well as he can with the England team. 

It's not his job to individually coach the players on the fundamentals or assure their conditioning, but it is his job to ensure that there is a pool of players that can fit into his systems. That requires time for any prospective players in his training and matchday squads to look at how they fit in and if they can be melded into what he needs for the next game. I don't think it's as simple as picking the best player for each position in a formation, rather more about developing a system first (loosely based on the talent available) and then integrating players into it.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

10 hours ago, gbandit said:

The only major positive to come out of the game is how class Bellingham clearly is already 

Yeah, he looks more than ready. He's an amazingly composed player, considering his age.

I've never liked the Phillips-Rice combination in midfield. It seems over-cautious. I think Bellingham could take one of their places without us losing too much on the defensive side. If we're really aiming to win, we have to be ambitious in our choices.

Bear in mind I haven't got a fucking scooby what I'm talking about but, imho, England will not win anything playing Kane or any other traditional forward.

Edited......started to type out my reasoning with evidence etc etc but ended up like Charlie in the basement :idiot2:

4 hours ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, he looks more than ready. He's an amazingly composed player, considering his age.

I've never liked the Phillips-Rice combination in midfield. It seems over-cautious. I think Bellingham could take one of their places without us losing too much on the defensive side. If we're really aiming to win, we have to be ambitious in our choices.

The Phillips-Rice combo is perfect for his dreadful style but it’s the footballing equivalent of a posh wank when you have a little hotty in front of you.

Nice and tidy but much more attractive and exciting options.

His persistence with Mount is weird too. He’s been shite for England. Have so many better options.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

21 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I thought huss’s post was more about resting players. 

yeah. dont want them wiped out physically/mentally come november.

the premeir league is relentless.

On 07/06/2022 at 23:35, huss9 said:

Missed opp to experiment a bit but at least we've seen the gaps in Plan A.

Mount for example continuing to dissappoint for England is becoming a painfully obvious issue.

It looks like Trips is in the side for set-pieces which is awful. I'd like to see Saka there.

It's becoming more obvious that we should drop TAA from the WC squad if it's a 23-man squad.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Anyone else finding themselves  even less arsed about England as NUFC feel more like a club to be proud of again? 

Only arsed about England at Euros and WC. Qualifiers are almost always a given due to generally playing against weak teams, and got no idea what this League of Nations thing is about.