England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Just now, La Parka said:

Fuck off southgate getting away with this now 

Getting away with what exactly? :lol:

5 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Southgate has picked 99 players and Longstaff ain't one...  But in all seriousness I wonder how many English players we have to select from compared to 20 years ago.

I'm convinced the likes of Shola would get a cap nowadays 

I doubt it seeing that he played for Nigeria.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, La Parka said:

Shit performances 

It's a friendly with a B-Team in order to see who deserves to be in the main 26, this game literally means nothing. It's fine :lol:

Edited by 54

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

It's a friendly with a B-Team in order to see who deserves to be in the main 26, this game literally means nothing. It's fine :lol:

England famously entertained everyone during these matches before Southgate 

Always good to win. Just a very typical affair, really. There's two objectives with pre-tournament friendlies: provide an opportunity to the fringe players and boost morale by winning. It's rarely going to be pretty. 

We put two goals (total) past Romania and Austria before the last Euros which we went on to reach the final of. 

That was basically a glorified training match but it served it's purpose, from the original starting line up Trent and Eze have come out of it with the most credit, Bowen too though just for his second half display.

Confidence boosting win, even if not a classic game that gave the players a chance to face a low block like they'll likely come up against in the groups. Decent exercise.

Hopefully it's not another 19 years until the National team plays at SJP.

England aren't exactly the most expansive team, we're set up to play safe and look for openings, but then playing against 3 narrow CBs in a low block and basically 2 banks of 5 it was always going to be a rough watch trying to tire them out.

Really hope Gordon gets an opportunity against Iceland because he should be starting for me.

Palmer is a silky player and a technician but England would have to work hard to accommodate another player like that imo, as opposed to him slotting in seamlessly. He's similar in style to Foden and Eze in that all of them don't have a rigid position, but only Foden can take that fluid role in the lineup. 

But Gordon is just sheer energy and tenacity up and down the wing - in attack and defence. He's far more orthodox and made for international football where there's arguably less room for mavericks. 

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Away fans are class, I’m right next to them.

They held up one of their little lads, and he had a Newcastle top on. I hope they enjoy their time here.

Absolute mosh pit in the away end. Jealous as hell watching their party

46 minutes ago, 54 said:

Bit of a contradiction there, it means everything to those trying to get into the squad.

21 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

Southgate really needs to burst that spot on his neck.

The neck wouldn't be my first port of call if I had his money.

Untit235235235sfled.jpg

Had to record it and just finished watching. Fuck me, what a dirty whiny bunch of cheaty cunts the Bosnians are :lol:

First half was pretty dire. Can’t really judge the team defensively against that lot. Konsa is the very model of a CB playing out of position at full-back, just no forward momentum at all when it was needed. Not sure where TAA was for most of the first half. Eze looked sharp, as did Palmer at times. The quintessential Bowen England performance - as useful as a chocolate teapot until they got the right players around him in the second half. He then looked dangerous but not quite top level.

I thought Gallagher was OK. Not the most challenging opposition but he covered a ton of ground and I presumed he was supposed to be doing the donkey work for TAA. Was quite impressed by his engine tbh - he was still making lung-busting runs towards the end. Quintessential TAA CM performance too - completely invisible until they pushed him further forward.

We need to talk about Watkins. The drop-off from Kane is absolutely terrifying. I want to feel like it’s because we’re not playing to his strengths like Villa presumably do, but he just isn’t getting it at all. I felt sorry for him when he got blatantly fouled by that CB but (a) Kane wins a penalty there and (b) Kane also scores if he decides not to go down. What do we do? I presume Toney will start the next match, and I’m not convinced by him either but he’s shown flashes.

Second half was fun in the end. On the one hand the pen was sort of soft, but on the other - fuck me, he just grabs him by the shirt and pulls him back, what the fuck else is the ref supposed to do? Kane looked sharp as fuck. Please stay fit. I rather liked Grealish, and again there was just that little hint that he and Maddison might come up with something special together. Just that Grealish and Eze might end up fighting over one spot. Maddison is clearly absolutely fucking desperate to get on the plane and tried a little too hard at times but there was some nice movement.

Wharton looks fucking amazing :lol:. Gomez did great with Grealish. TAA looked far better on the right.

This squad is going to be mental. Roughly 20 good to brilliant attacking midfielders, the best CF in the world, Kyle Walker and Declan Rice. And then roughly a dozen randos because you have to have a defence and somebody if Kane gets injured.

Eze has to go.

Wharton has to go.

Simple really, both provide something we miss hugely but especially Wharton. 

Based on that performance by Watkins I'll be praying Kane stays fit and hoping that Toney gets some good minutes and plays well on Friday.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Eze has to go.

Wharton has to go.

Simple really, both provide something we miss hugely but especially Wharton. 

Based on that performance by Watkins I'll be praying Kane stays fit and hoping that Toney gets some good minutes and plays well on Friday.

I wish it was only that performance. Watkins has consistently struggled at this level and we’re running out of time.