England

Yorkie

One of my final thoughts here will be to back Southgate.

Will he be able to say he goes out on a high? No. But he goes out with moral stance in tact. Be as bitter as you like about what could or should have been. But Southgate has done all he can in as respectable a fashion as he can and for that he must be respected.

Edited by Heron

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

One of my final thoughts here will be to back Southgate.

Will he be able to say he goes out on a high? No. But he goes out with moral stance in tact. Be as bitter as you like about what could or should have been. But Southgate has done all he can in as respectable a fashion as he can and for that he must be respected.

Limited manager that galvanised the dressing room and created a team ethos, but he failed with an arsenal at his disposal that should be winning. Overstayed his usefulness through no fault of his own, thanks for the finals and restoring some pride but its time to move on.

3 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Limited manager that galvanised the dressing room and created a team ethos, but he failed with an arsenal at his disposal that should be winning. Overstayed his usefulness through no fault of his own, thanks for the finals and restoring some pride but its time to move on.

Accurate enough for me.

The media will be absolute DCs to generate sales and they should just fuck off. Close but not close enough. Thanks for the effort Gareth, you're a good egg.

Edited by Heron

I think Kane might be the biggest victim of Southgate in this tournament and he just picked his name when Watkins or Toney would've been much better fit to his tactics. Kane dropping to same spaces where Foden and Bellingham were already standing in each others way was never going to work and Kane had no idea what to do. He also needs runners which Southgate refused to use, Gordon would be perfect player for Kane. He doesn't have the physical traits anymore to be a combative CF but no way he scores all those goals for Bayern if he's really finished IMO.

Edited by Pata

Bellingham, Kane, Foden just doesn't work as an attack and never was going to in a team that doesn't play possession. Thought all three had poor tournaments overall. Either Kane had to play with two of Saka/Gordon/Palmer or Watkins should have got the nod to at least stretch the play a bit. 

Also the CM is very limited, Mainoo is in the team too early and Rice was also very sloppy in a lot of games.  

Feel Guehi is decent but often tentative and loses out in some key moments. Taking Shaw was insane although I assume he suffered a setback and was expected to be available earlier. 

Too many of the poor performers were locked in because it's too brave a move to take them off or move them. Like today, Rice was pretty awful but Mainoo gets the hook. Wharton should come on to help us control the game, but Rice is untouchable. IMO the obvious answer was to ask Bellingham to play a deeper role for the team, with Foden ahead, but that doesn't happen because of the big season he's had. 

I think Southgate has done a good job overall, and has rehabilitated the England 'brand' very well. He should move on now but I think one danger is that we compare the reality to the best possible alternative we can imagine.

Maybe the quality of the squad outgrew the Southgate approach, but it remains to be seen if a different manager can get them playing better. It's very possible that we replace Southgate, play better but the actual results (in terms of progressing in tournaments) are worse. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

IMO the obvious answer was to ask Bellingham to play a deeper role for the team, with Foden ahead, but that doesn't happen because of the big season he's had. 

Yeah, think I said this after the first match. Second CM was a problem and Bellingham deeper would have opened a spot for Gordon or Eze and you would've had at least some balance. Bellingham was a £100m CM last summer after all despite playing higher up for Real Madrid.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Surprisingly could  do well in tournament football if he has one of those flukey 6 matches won in a row streaks at the right time

imagine him doing the Crystal Palace fa cup final dance in the WC final, the Americans would love it

just don’t expect to qualify for the next tournament as those 6 match streaky runs were followed by 10 matches without a win

see ya later 

Reactive football yet again. Hung Kane out to dry and takes him off too late. He then fails to make further subs to exploit the use of pace behind them. 

When we equalised I foolishly thought we had a chance. Instead we surrendered possession in midfield and failed to learn from the oceans of space Cucurella had managed to find minutes earlier and let him into the same area for the winner.

Howe is the obvious choice for manager; cheers Gareth. 

5 hours ago, andycap said:

He basically said a lot of his starting team where unfit. That's not on at all like he played them nearly all the time aswell. Makes the lack of toney Watkins bowen Gordon et Al more astonishing. 

yeah, the "fatigue" line is baffling when he has a squad of 26 and persists with almost the same starting line up every time.

8 minutes ago, huss9 said:

yeah, the "fatigue" line is baffling when he has a squad of 26 and persists with almost the same starting line up every time.

I still stick by the fact he was scared the second string would perform and the press would pile on him.

Imagine if we had started Gordon, Palmer, Watkins in the third group game and they had won 2, 3 nil.

The pressure from the press to drop Kane etc would have been too much for him

10 hours ago, Skeletor said:

He'd take 13 left backs in the squad.

Don’t know about 13 but I’d take more than one who’s injured for the majority of the tournament that’s for sure lads. 

Big lunch coming up for me later today. Some place my wife wants to try. Already forgotten the name of the place. But I’ll be having what everyone else is having that much is certain. See ya later. 

56 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Lining up Tripps and Gallagher after we'd equalised finished Southgate for me. Clearly just wanted to try and cling on for dear life and hope for pens.

Tripps was probably as Shaw was done, so that change was required, but it could have been done at the start of ET if they got they far.