England

Yorkie

He overachieved massively at the start but I feel he's under achieved since the 2022 world cup.  Always felt he should've gone after 2022 WC, classic FA giving stupid contracts.

He's done well overall, but he struggled to move the team forward after the one he inherited.  I think he's massively missed sterling and his pace running in behind and the poor performances we've seen have been on the cards for a while in the lead up to this euros.  Tactically quite hopeless i have to say.

2 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

He overachieved massively at the start but I feel he's under achieved since the 2022 world cup.  Always felt he should've gone after 2022 WC, classic FA giving stupid contracts.

He's done well overall, but he struggled to move the team forward after the one he inherited.  I think he's massively missed sterling and his pace running in behind and the poor performances we've seen have been on the cards for a while in the lead up to this euros.  Tactically quite hopeless i have to say.

And on the face of it, relentlessly stubborn and thin skinned to go with it.

Brought credibility and deserves respect for it. He got one tournament too many in my opinion though. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he got it again in the future. 

I don’t even know if it’s possible but Wenger for me. 

Would obviously prefer England to win something, but if/when we don't it'll at least be some comfort to see all the 'anyone but Southgate would have us winning the Universe Cup' nonces bubbling into their pints when it turns out that doing better than getting to two finals and a semi isn't all that straightforward, regardless of how all-surpassing you might think our players' talent is.

13 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

He’s a class act. And the best England manager since Sir Alf. The next England manager should be English even if he’s shit. Seems like cheating to me, to bring in a foreign manager.

not sure about that.

maybe if you look at the headlines - but then go deeper into who we played and how we played and its different.

he might have been the most successful but definitely not the best. very fine distinction.

For me, being a decent person is more important than being a great manager. To have had someone in that role for so long who’s held themselves well counts for a huge amount. We were awful before him and a lot of the football under him in the last four years has been very poor. Would I like a manager who plays good football, of course. Have we ever experienced that with England consistently? Not really. Do I care a great deal about England? Only at the very end of tournaments and only if they’re playing well and deserve to win 

He definitely stayed a tournament too long. 

He's basically undid a lot of his good work this tournament and will probably be remembered less fondly than he should have been really.

It wasn't even just the negative approach we genuinely looked like one of the worst coached sides in the whole thing. 

8 minutes ago, huss9 said:

not sure about that.

maybe if you look at the headlines - but then go deeper into who we played and how we played and its different.

he might have been the most successful but definitely not the best. very fine distinction.

If you look at the headlines, the narrative is he's only got as far as he has due to easy draws and has played shite football. 

Oh well, this seemed inevitable. I don't mind Southgate as a bloke, but there is no way he would take the England team any further, so right decision. I can see him getting a job in the prem. later on in the year once all the sackings begin (hopefully Man. U).

They can keep their hands off Eddie. He probably is the best bloke for the job mind, but he's ours and I don't think he would take it anyway. 

I wish Southgate luck anyway.

Sad to see him go in the sense that it's an era I've really enjoyed; admittedly up to about 9pm on the 16th of June this year. 

He should've gone after the World Cup because it was clear that he was never guiding us to a trophy, despite doing a brilliant job of turning us into a team who could nearly win one. Yes he was blessed with talent but that aspect was often overstated, and I've seen equally talented squads perform far worse in my lifetime. 

He's achieved more than any other England manager bar Ramsay so I'm grateful to him for that, and for fostering a good connection between the team and fanbase and massively improving the relationship with the media. 

Would be very curious to see how he dealt with club football and assume he'll give it another crack. His approach - certainly in this tournament - is utterly unsustainable when applied to a 38-game season so he would certainly need to adapt. 

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

I really hope it’s not Klopp. The man’s a cunt.

If it's Klopp I'm claiming nationality of anywhere else. There's no way I give enough of a fuck about seeing England win something to approve of suffering that arsehole in the job. 

I'd take Pep if he fancied it but doubtful that he would. But just as a comparator.