England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

It will be he beginning of the Jags becoming a London team. The NFL have been wanting a London team for a while and have even already made plans for it in regards to how fixtures would work (play all their home games at once, all their away games at once. Teams visiting the U.K. for away games will get an extended break between matches).

How it will fit in with Spurs having the NFL contract is anyone’s guess though. Would having a London team and visiting games at Spurs be overkill?

As for Wembley, I’ve long said building it was a mistake and we should have invested more in existing stadiums and grassroute football with England games, and cup finals all being spread around the country.

An 800 million pound mistake. I need to make a few of those.

It was always going to pay itself back, but I don’t think it’s good for English football. Tradition aside, there was no reason to rebuild it. There are plenty of grounds around the country that can host England games where it would allow people to attend games without the expense of going to London. With the increase in midweek games it would have been far better for fans as well. For big profile England games and finals there is an increasing amount of stadiums that can host them, and money for Wembley could have went towards helping clubs upgrade their existing stadiums to make them worthy of hosting such games.

Don't feel like I really have much opinion of this either way. 'Wembley: the home of football' was demolished years ago, and by all accounts the corporate dome which stands in its place is barely worth going to. I do wish there was some form of inclusivity on the fate of such things, be it national assets like the national stadium, or 'advancements' to the game like VAR. But there you go, that's how it is. Things are decent at NUFC under Rafa so you don't feel things quite so much, but it's a pity how the people's game is in fact a few very rich people's game which you pay extortionate amounts for access to. Blah blah ramble blah. Meh.

The concept of moving sporting institutions around always puzzles me.

It's not being moved as much as the Jacksonville Jaguars will cease to exist and everything about the team changes until it's called the London Bulldogs or some shit.

• 2 weeks later...

35 man initial squad has to be named by Monday. Would hope both Lascelles and Shelvey are at least in the 35 even if they don't make the final cut but then again given how the England set up is I wouldn't be surprised if neither are and I've just read this 35 man list doesn't get published nor the players told.

23 man squad to be named on Weds or Thursday. The 35 man squad thing all seems a bit pointless.

It's difficult at the best of time, but changing pace into being an England fan right now seems exceptionally unattractive. Not that NUFC are actually good, but the Rafa/Gareth juxtaposition is just hard to get past. Time to go buy some tiny St Georges and stick em to everything I own. That'll get me in the spirit.

I must be about the only person on earth who likes Gareth Southgate. Seems fairly intelligent and isn’t a complete cock.

You are, he's a woeful manager man, shockingly under qualified for what was once the premier job in English football. This is the man that's picked Jake Livermore, Joe Gomez and Alfie Mawson, he's clueless, there's a lot of young talent in England right now, we could do so much better than the inevitable defeat on pens in the round of 16 or 1/4 final that's coming. The guy will waste this generation, if he's left in charge for any length of time.

I must be about the only person on earth who likes Gareth Southgate. Seems fairly intelligent and isn’t a complete cock.

You are, he's a woeful manager man, shockingly under qualified for what was once the premier job in English football. This is the man that's picked Jake Livermore, Joe Gomez and Alfie Mawson, he's clueless, there's a lot of young talent in England right now, we could do so much better than the inevitable defeat on pens in the round of 16 or 1/4 final that's coming. The guy will waste this generation, if he's left in charge for any length of time.

Don't agree, sure he's making some very questionable decisions but I think you are severely overrating talent available and we likely wouldn't go far regardless of Southgate.

"Jonjo Shelvey

Newcastle fans believe Shelvey is more than deserving of a seat on the plane to Russia in light of his recent form for the Magpies. The midfielder has been one of Newcastle’s brightest stars this season, with his range of passing and vision helping to pull the side clear of the relegation zone. But due to his disciplinary record, it’s believed Southgate isn’t even considering the 26-year-old. A crying shame given what he can offer."

A crying shame nobody can be arsed to watch our games or do their own research.

Fuck em, and I say that as an Englishman who always wants England to do well.

We will have our captain and key midfielder fit and well for the new season. Plus they won't be tainted with the abject failure that is inevitably in store for our national team at yet another finals event.

Let the Livermores and Hendersons of this world go and stink up the tournament whilst losing rest time as well.

Get Shelvey and Lascelles off to a beach somewhere....all inclusive deal.