England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Imo, we will either get knocked out in last 16 or make the semi's.

So what you're saying is that we've got a tough match next against Colombia but we could well win the game after that? Just checking. :lol:

Why are Colombia being considered as an easy route btw?

They arent. It's what comes after

Beat Colombia then it's Sweden/Switzerland. After them one from Spain/Russia/Croatia/Denmark.

Belgium have Japan, then Brazil/Mexico, France/Argentina/Uruguay/Portugal

I think people seem to be massively underestimating this side of the knockouts. Croatia & Spain are two of the strongest sides in it on evidence & Sweden/Switzerland are good enough to beat England for certain based on what we've seen. Brazil on other hand have hardly lit it up, keep hearing about them being the team to avoid but not from what I've seen. Mexico arguably look better. Essentially, it's never as simple as avoiding the bigger names, and we've just not bothered even going for the win there based on that notion alone. Poor approach imo.

Guest Howaythetoon

If Mexico put Brazil out btw, we're going to look like right daft cunts.

Nah they will look like the daft cunts for winning their group.

Guest neesy111

Ate croatia in our side of the draw?  If so, that massively underestimate that side of the draw.

Guest neesy111

Pickford is w***

The only solution to stop this happening again is to bomb Washington tbh.

As long it's the west side.

Just had a proper look at the draw from here on.

Coming second is miles better, some people must be pissed up.

Miles better in terms of what though? It's avoiding the entire point of the tournament & taking loads of things for granted. Wrong way to look at it all.

What's the entire point of the tournament? Winning it? Surely the easiest route to the final makes the entire point of the tournament more achievable

Surely the point is to be able to call yourself the best side in the world? Are you achieving that by being scared of playing half the sides in it & hoping other teams knock them out for you?

It's a really embarrassing way of looking at it in my opinion and a bit concerning how many want to win something in that manner.

Do you hope we pull Shrewsbury Town at SJP in the third round of the FA Cup or Chelsea away?

Not the same though is it, this is a straight tournament whereby one result potentially affects the following result.

Also the FA cup isn't about being the best side in England. If that were the aim, then the point would be to be capable of beating all other sides in the country so you'd be fine with getting other big teams.

Why's it different? It's a cup competition where you could play any team that was originally eligible to enter. It's directly comparable.

My point is that unless you're the outright best team in the competition, then playing lesser ranked teams for as long as possible is clearly favourable to your chances of winning the tournament.

We just seem to have a different idea about the idea of the tournament.

If the singular goal were to win it, just to say you've won it then that's one way of doing it i suppose. But I see that in a similar manner as being given answers on an exam so that you can say you're now qualified in xyz.

You're missing the actual value in what you're doing surely, which is to actually learn the subject you're being tested on.

Where is the value or pride in winning a tournament you actively tried to fluke your way to a final. It's one thing if it just falls that way and you beat everything infront of you, but its a bit pathetic to try to claim to be a winner of something while running scared of those who could show that you aren't worthy of the title.

Close game, but Belgium looked the better side on paper, and so it proved.

Rashford made a strong case. He was involved all the time, whereas Sterling has a tendency to disappear when it's not going his way. Having said that, I don't think Rashford will start, when he's played the full 90 minutes tonight.

Basic error by Rose for the goal, which spoiled an otherwise good showing.

Guest neesy111

Close game, but Belgium looked the better side on paper, and so it proved.

Rashford made a strong case. He was involved all the time, whereas Sterling has a tendency to disappear when it's not going his way. Having said that, I don't think Rashford will start, when he's played the full 90 minutes tonight.

Basic error by Rose for the goal, which spoiled an otherwise good showing.

Rashford was awful.

How is it arrogant to want an easier draw?  Don't get that at all. It's literally no different at all to wanting an easier draw in any cup competition.

Probably because Japan are the far easier draw for the next round but everyone’s talking about a favourable QF draw like we’ll stroll past Colombia.

Why is this being twisted like this?

We know the teams we'll play and coming 2nd is far, far easier. Nobody is saying we'll beat Columbia, it's just we have a far better chance of beating them than Brazil.

It wasn’t between Brazil or Colombia though :lol: It was between Colombia or Japan. Brazil still have to get through a Mexico side that looked really good in their first two games anyway.

No team has shown enough so far tht we should be fearful of imo. Think we have got the better side of the draw on paper but I’d have fancied us going into the other side full of confidence and momentum. Obviously we could have put out a strong side and still lost tonight but I still don’t really like the principle behind it. 

Absolutely hate the concept of losing being the better option in a world cup game like. You're going to need to play the best teams at some point anyway, getting into a losing mentality and trying to avoid tough games doesn't seem right at all.

Guest neesy111

Absolutely hate the concept of losing being the better option in a world cup game like. You're going to need to play the best teams at some point anyway, getting into a losing mentality and trying to avoid tough games doesn't seem right at all.

Might be why the stats say most of the winners finish top of their groups.  But according to some on here that might not be true.