England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Not convinced about the easier side of the draw. On paper I see a harder last 16, easier quarters, harder semis (Spain have looked the most talented side so far).

We should only be thinking about the next game, and that's what I think both coaches did. I can sympathise with the decision to rest players because, as SimplyAnth mentioned above, you could put our your best team and still lose, with the added risk of injuries and suspensions to your best players. I don't think either manager was plotting routes to the final. They were simply thinking about the next game with the added benefit that if you do go far, you've given backup players minutes and kept players fresh.

I'm disappointed we didn't win and I think we could've made 4 or 5 changes to protect the obvious key players without going for 8 swaps. Time will tell I suppose.

:thup:

Both teams had used all of their outfield players by the end of the match, meaning they all got experience playing a "real" World Cup match. That's got to be of benefit if you have to throw someone on unexpectedly later on in the tournament.

As an outsider who was excited to watch this game, and then disappointed by the line-ups, I'd agree with the comment above that about all you can take from this game is that England B is worse than Belgium B. And that will mean the sum total of fuck all when a grand total of 14-15 players will be used for the rest of the tournament.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/29/gareth-southgate-pressure-belgium-colombia-harry-kane

“I think whoever we played we believe we’re capable of beating [them],” said Southgate. “And whoever we play, in a one-off game, is capable of beating us. But we had to make a decision we felt gave us the best opportunity preparing the whole squad for that game, and that’s what we tried to do.

“Of course, if we don’t win, I understand people would say whatever about the Belgium match as well. But, for me, that was the right thing to do and you’ve got to take decisions you believe are the right ones.

“Maybe I have put more pressure on myself, maybe I haven’t. That is the least of my concerns. The most important thing for me is that the players are in the best physical condition for the game on Tuesday. I don’t think, mentally, we lose anything because they know we’ve made changes and they know Belgium weren’t their full team as well.

“So, we’re in to big matches where margins will be fine and judgment on me will be extremely harsh. That’s why we’re here. We want to be in those games. To be trying to win a first knockout game for 12 years is exciting. We’ve got the chance to be the team that changes that. It’s one of the reasons why we did what we did [against Belgium], to give ourselves the best possible opportunity of doing that. I wasn’t so comfortable with the love-in in the buildup to Belgium, to be honest, so it’s nice that there’s a little bit of an edge back.”

The manager had spoken to Kane, still the tournament’s leading scorer with five goals, to explain the strategy. “I felt the need to sit with him but he was brilliant, absolutely brilliant,” said Southgate. “He totally understood, 100% team first. He said: ‘Look, I know everyone says I want the Golden Boot. Of course it’s something I want to do. But the main thing is getting the team through the first knockout.’ He was excellent on that, showed real leadership and understanding of the big picture.

“There is something about tournament strategy that’s important. You have to be bold enough to accept that might come with questions at times but, if we believe it’s the right thing, stand by it. We have seen it in other tournaments with junior teams. When they have had an opportunity to play everyone, they have done.

“The harmony of the group is really important. You get players going into training knowing they have played in a World Cup. There is a big difference as a player going home knowing you can say that. No matter how much praise I give them for the way they are training, unless you can get them on the field it doesn’t feel the same for a player.”

Southgate’s approach has been backed by the players. “Gareth is a top manager and a man of great knowledge, and everything he has done up to now, since I’ve been in the England set-up, has been spot on,” said Maguire. “We are fully behind all of his decisions. He’s a brave manager and he makes big decisions. He fills you with confidence, no matter what decision is made. We trust him as a group and hopefully it’s the right decision in the long run.

“He and [Roberto] Martínez were both probably looking at the bigger picture and know that the next game is the biggest one of them all. Hopefully it can benefit us. It’s only a good decision if we go and put in a performance in the next game and qualify for the quarter-finals.”

Very impressed with Southgate and his approach to this WC.

Will freely admit I thought he was a bit of a 'yes' man and that was the prime reason for his appointment, but I'm prepared to say I was wrong on that and the lad seems to have the right credentials and aptitude for international management.

Fair play to him.

Let's hope the players do as well as him and don't let him down.

Might put some brass on us to lose tomorrow. :lol:

When we choke it’s going down as our worst exit at the World Cup.

Losing to Colombia is not a choke and certainly not your worst ever exit :lol: It was worse 4 years ago

Guest firetotheworks

Might put some brass on us to lose tomorrow. [emoji38]

What a load of shit, as usual. [emoji38]

It’s going to be worse because we are in with a realistic chance of getting to the final where we will play a team who are very much beatable.

Jesus I thought that was obvious, I never realised that I had to explain it.

It’s going to be worse because we are in with a realistic chance of getting to the final where we will play a team who are very much beatable.

Wouldn't call Brazil or Belgium very much beatable for England. Beatable, sure. Very much? Nah. You'd be underdogs going into it.

Might put some brass on us to lose tomorrow. :lol:

:lol: your worst WC exit since garnering a solitary point in a group won by Costa Rica

One way or another, Southgate has made the right call. There isn't any other team in our half of the draw that's clearly better than us, and though we would end up facing a stronger side in the final, anything can happen in a one off game.

The World Cup is largely knockout football, so luck plays a significant part. So far in World Cup history, we've not had a winner such as Denmark or Greece in the Euros, where a weaker side has come through as a result of the knockout formula. The stronger sides have prevailed in the end, but that's not to say that it can't happen. This could be the year.

Jesus I thought that was obvious, I never realised that I had to explain it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: