England

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've seen Scotland passion and momentum their way to results at Hamden. No bigger stage than that and no smaller a fire from them. If only England had a good manager eh.

Don’t worry Eddie will work wonders with them.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: said whilst England comfortably dispatches a very decent Scotland side on their own patch.

I get the clamour for getting more of the gifted attackers on the pitch at the same time, I genuinely do. But some of the criticism is twilight zone stuff at times. Even at the World Cup just gone we scored 6 against a side that barely conceded a goal in their qualifying; 3 against Wales, 3 against the African champions. 

We lost the Euros Final against Italy with Southgate going all Pardew in the second half which is just one example. 

We don’t really play to our strengths, nevertheless we are just too good for other sides.

Southgate is still picking Henderson and Maguire. As a manager he hasn’t kicked on but the squad he has has improved massively. We have a selection in midfield and in forward areas which is pretty insane.

We have to stop being a nearly team, if we do win something imo it will be despite Southgate.

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

We lost the Euros Final against Italy with Southgate going all Pardew in the second half which is just one example. 

We don’t really play to our strengths, nevertheless we are just too good for other sides.

Southgate is still picking Henderson and Maguire. As a manager he hasn’t kicked on but the squad he has has improved massively. We have a selection in midfield and in forward areas which is pretty insane.

We have to stop being a nearly team, if we do win something imo it will be despite Southgate.

:lol: Honestly man, what do you think managers do like? Put out the cones for prefab world class teams?

17 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think there's a definitive England XI tbh, it just depends who you're playing aside from probably Walker, Rice, Bellingham, Kane 

I'd throw Saka and Rashford in there too. Imagine if Foden can turn himself in to a really good central player and we can field Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Rashford, Saka and Kane without shoe horning it. Need to start getting Ollie Watkins involved as well given Wilson's age and Nketiah not looking like he's going to cut it. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: Honestly man, what do you think managers do like? Put out the cones for prefab world class teams?

What do you think they do? I’d hope they see that staying loyal to the likes of Maguire and Henderson is regressive and that they also utilise the talent they have to completely destroy other sides.

It no doubt sounds harsh and the results on paper look great but I’d have dumped Southgate after the last Euros. 

The game against Ukraine is a very recent example of a match that we could have lost against a very inferior side. 

We are better than our performances, sounds a bit mad but I genuinely believe we could be next level.

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I'd throw Saka and Rashford in there too. Imagine if Foden can turn himself in to a really good central player and we can field Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Rashford, Saka and Kane without shoe horning it. Need to start getting Ollie Watkins involved as well given Wilson's age and Nketiah not looking like he's going to cut it. 

There are definitely situations where I'd be be playing Foden and/or Grealish instead depending on the opposition like.

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

What do you think they do? I’d hope they see that staying loyal to the likes of Maguire and Henderson is regressive and that they also utilise the talent they have to completely destroy other sides.

It no doubt sounds harsh and the results on paper look great but I’d have dumped Southgate after the last Euros. 

The game against Ukraine is a very recent example of a match that we could have lost against a very inferior side. 

We are better than our performances, sounds a bit mad but I genuinely believe we could be next level.

Being a manager is obviously far more than picking players though. I agree that by rights Maguire and Phillips shouldn't be starting, but there's far more to it than that.

I've said it to the point of people's eyes bleeding now, but until Southgate we watched the best English club players I've ever seen completely fail at barely any hurdle with England.

Southgate has turned things around with England to the extent that there are loads of people that think that the turn around with England  is because the players are just so unbelievably good (even in the context of other fantastic national sides) that it's all done in spite of Southgate. It's honestly the most ridiculous turn of events I think I've ever watched from start to finish in football. Setting a rod for his own back is a huge understatement.

To bring it closer to home, it's like Newcastle fans turning on Howe because he's not getting the best out of Schär, Joelinton, Almiron, and Wilson. That's how I see it.

None of it means I don't think there are better managers, but it does mean I think there are no likely replacements (refusing to believe Howe or Guardiola are likely) that will do better.

30 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I don't think you'll find many who'd argue against the idea that the loyalty to Henderson at this point is regressive, but on the whole he's been good for Southgate's England. He shouldn't start in the Euros though, basically everyone will agree with that, even Southgate. He didn't start in the opening group games at the World Cup. 

As for destroying sides; we routinely score 4, 5, 6 or more in qualifying and have had several very emphatic victories in all of the tournaments he's been the manager in, too. Incidentally that isn't routine in tournaments; even the World Champions lost to Saudi Arabia and only just squeezed past Australia in the knockouts. The likes of Portugal springs to mind too, who infamously won the thing after drawing three times in the group. 

I know he's got his faults, I just think a lot of the criticism is disproportionate. The 'England aren't attacking,' and 'England always just end up losing to anyone good,' are the two fundamentally flawed arguments that have always cropped up in the Southgate era imo.

59 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Being a manager is obviously far more than picking players though. I agree that by rights Maguire and Phillips shouldn't be starting, but there's far more to it than that.

I've said it to the point of people's eyes bleeding now, but until Southgate we watched the best English club players I've ever seen completely fail at barely any hurdle with England.

Southgate has turned things around with England to the extent that there are loads of people that think that the turn around with England  is because the players are just so unbelievably good (even in the context of other fantastic national sides) that it's all done in spite of Southgate. It's honestly the most ridiculous turn of events I think I've ever watched from start to finish in football. Setting a rod for his own back is a huge understatement.

To bring it closer to home, it's like Newcastle fans turning on Howe because he's not getting the best out of Schär, Joelinton, Almiron, and Wilson. That's how I see it.

None of it means I don't think there are better managers, but it does mean I think there are no likely replacements (refusing to believe Howe or Guardiola are likely) that will do better.

We do this every time.  Big the team up when we win and crucify them when they lose.  A bit of perspective here.  By the way I thought England were excellent tonight.  We were excellent against .........Scotland.  We totally dominated ........ Scotland.  We scored three goals and it should have been more ....... against Scotland.  Get where I'm coming from?