England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

33 minutes ago, STM said:

Could be a key moment if he does this. Any change in shape will likely see the side have more balance.

He’ll go to extreme lengths to duck the big decisions. If he dropped Saka and Foden he could solve his problems, if he tries Saka at left wingback it will show he got his squad selection totally wrong 

3 hours ago, STM said:

Could be a key moment if he does this. Any change in shape will likely see the side have more balance.

Awful decision, imo. We'd have even less in attack and we dont have the players for wing backs. Imagine Trippier trying to play left WB. I imagine he'd go TAA on the right and he'd be awful there too.

Interesting to look at the odds for next game line-up - https://m.skybet.com/football/england-specials/england-starting-xi-vs-switzerland-sat-6th-jul/33861371

Assuming the bookies are right the 11 will be: Pickford, Stones, Walker, Konsa, Trent, Rice, Bellingham, Saka, Mainoo, Kane, Foden

This would then be the shape? 

Pickford

Walker            Stones               Konsa

Trent                                                                   Saka

Mainoo                    Rice

Bellingham                  Foden   

Kane

Trippier's next likely, he's 4/5 to start, of the above Trent is biggest price 1/5. Part of me quite likes it, at least it's a change, but the other part of me believes Southgate's only doing it as it's forced through Guehi missing and feels typical Southgate, super weak approach and we are changing our formation just to match up with the Swiss. 

On 01/07/2024 at 10:08, Rich said:

We reckoning three at the back for the QF, then? Guehi out, match up with the Swiss, etc.

Pickford; Walker, Stones, Konsa; Alexander-Arnold, Mainoo, Rice, Saka; Bellingham, Foden; Kane

No idea what Trippier’s status is, if he’s fit I suppose he’d start RWB.

I am inside the mind of Gareth Southgate.

12 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Hate that team. It’s more balanced but still a mess 

When I was looking at it it didn't like right, I actually wasn't going to put Foden anywhere, and then thought to add him like this: 

<<<<<<<<<<<Foden>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Think Bellingham as a 10, two DMs, and Foden free role has some potential to work, Trent and Saka providing the width and should still be solid defensively. 

Hopefully whatever he lands on we'll see an improvement. 

55 minutes ago, Rich said:

I am inside the mind of Gareth Southgate.

It's not really anything to shout about.  I think we all knew what he was going to do and it's his only way of making a noticeable change.  Reminds me of Pardew or Bruce changing formation week to week after yet another bad result :lol: 

I still can't quite get my head around how bad we were/are.  We peaked after half an hour or so against Serbia in the first game.  I said after that game that the concern was that we won't build on that and grow as the tournament goes on and that we will stay the same.  But we've somehow managed to get worse with every game   

How he persists with the same 'tactics' with the only change seemingly the one centre mid spot next to Rice, is baffling.  Every fan, pundit, coach, pro, animal, vegetable and mineral can see it isn't working.  The possession is so slow, ponderous and meaningless.  Rice and Bellingham want too many touches.  We play it safe all the while, scattered in with Pickford booming it long.  Players in the front 4 and the midfielders pushing on all get in each others way.  We have elite level players looking like League One standard on a regular basis.  There is one constant here.  They can't all be having bad patches of form at the same time.  It's too coincidental.   

The lack of ideas when we went a goal down was really bad and all.  Shunning the hard pass to try and get through the lines, not looking for the early or long shot until really late on with Rice.  Then suddenly going from our possession based approach, to panicking and chucking in aimless cross after aimless cross in every minute or two.  

I'm hoping with Trippier possibly missing out through injury and with Guehi suspended.  That we might go to 3 at the back.  I'm not a huge fan of it.  But it feels like the only way we will make any meaningful changes to the team.  Just to get some width and a naturally left footed player at LB/LWB would massively help for a start.  Our attacking outlet from full back has been woeful all tournament.  Trippier won't go down the line and teams know that.  Walker has been playing like he's pissed and has never been great on the ball or in the attacking third, anyway.  Saka at LWB and Trent RWB is what I'd go with.

Not massively thought about it and I'm trying to second guess Southgate here.  But something like the below is what I think we might go with and wouldn't be that upset with.  Although I think we could look to play Watkins or Toney up top if we did go 3/5 at the back:

Pickford

Walker

Konsa

Stones

TAA

Rice

Mainoo

Bellingham/Foden

Saka

Foden/Bellingham

Kane