Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Guest The King of Zembla

I can tolerate a centre-forward who scores goals only - Newcastle's Michael Owen, with his knackered legs and shrivelled heart, would fit that bill - but for anyone playing deeper I expect a bit more.

Weird Nolan comparison. I mean I get the only scoring goals thing but Wijnaldum showed he is capable of some lovely touches and turns with the ball. Such graceful movement that Nolan could never achieve.

Aye, there's only really the goalscoring thing in common. Nolan also had leadership qualities and aerial ability in his locker.

Guest The King of Zembla

Weird Nolan comparison. I mean I get the only scoring goals thing but Wijnaldum showed he is capable of some lovely touches and turns with the ball. Such graceful movement that Nolan could never achieve.

All opinions and that but, for me, his goal scoring statistics have earned him a reputation he doesn't deserve. The "superb technique" stuff never resonated with me.

I remember after his goals against Norwich, Mark Lawrenson (a knaa) said he still didn't really have an oustanding game. I knew what he meant. Gini is a passenger on his best day, home or away.

I'll be honest, I can't stand the grinning little eunoch.

It was criminal how we constantly forgave him his heartlessness and infuriating how long the "superb technique" myth was allowed to persist.

He's Kevin Nolan on a diet.

ha! complete rubbish

It is true. While Wijnaldum looks better doing it (as in he's in better shape and has a touch of class to his goals) - they are doing the same thing, scoring goals and nowt else. Wijnaldum on occasion might turn a player with some skill, show off his athleticism, spray a couple balls - it's very much on occasion. Across 90 he's a ghost.

Love how the Liverpool fans have seen straight through him already. 3 games. Wish our fans would make less excuses.

Guest firetotheworks

The more I've watched Gini play, the more apt the Kevin Nolan comparison has become.

It's a really odd comparison man, I dunno where you're coming from with it. Nolan might have been a non-entity midfielder who popped up with goals, but he did it regularly and had a spine, two things that you can't say about Wijnaldum. Nolan was the last good captain that this club had imo, even the idea of us ever having had Wijnaldum as our captain is laughable.

The comparison with Nolan is fair enough for me, one thing I've never liked is midfielders who can't boss the centre of the park, whether that's because of lack of mobility (Nolan) or lack of spine (Wijnaldum). Glorified forwards really, but Nolan was prepared to put his foot in, so he was ideal for a long ball side, which we were really during his time here.

The more I've watched Gini play, the more apt the Kevin Nolan comparison has become.

It's a really odd comparison man, I dunno where you're coming from with it. Nolan might have been a non-entity midfielder who popped up with goals, but he did it regularly and had a spine, two things that you can't say about Wijnaldum. Nolan was the last good captain that this club had imo, even the idea of us ever having had Wijnaldum as our captain is laughable.

"non-entity midfielder who popped up with goals" that is where it starts and ends. Can't think of anyone else that fits that bill besides Kevin. Think you'd need one in your team to notice that.

Guest firetotheworks

:lol:

It's a lazy comparison. Wijnaldum's goal return isn't high enough, nor his influence as a personality high enough to make it a comparison. Wijnaldum was a non-entity midfielder who scored the odd goal, it's not really the same. But then again, who really cares, it just makes no sense.

I think what KI is saying is that Kevin Nolan was way more Kevin Nolan than Wini ever has been. While they both are Nolanesque, only Kevin Nolan did Nolaning harder, and way more frequently.

That's probably reassuring for Kevin to know :lol:

I think what KI is saying is that Kevin Nolan was way more Kevin Nolan than Wini ever has been. While they both are Nolanesque, only Kevin Nolan did Nolaning harder, and way more frequently.

That's probably reassuring for Kevin to know :lol:

Not for his wife, though. I'm sure any woman would prefer Wini's physique over the original Nolan's.

:lol: :lol:

I dunno, I tend to side with these -

Fellaini may be the better comparison. And like Fellaini, he probably won't quite cut it at the top end of the Premiership, but would do well at the likes of Everton or Southampton. Possibly Liverpool, but his technique is only average and Klopp might well want more from him in that area.

Having seen him play for Holland in the World Cup, I thought he was an excellent buy, and I saw him as filling Tiote's position as midfield anchorman.

The player that I hoped he was going to be was Wanyama - a solid defensive unit down the centre who can still contribute to the attack, unlike Tiote. It didn't turn out that way.

Some posters on here have talked about his technique, but that's his weaker area. He's a good athlete but lacks the more subtle skills.

Perfect analysis.