Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Gini reminded me so much of Dyer.  Someone who obviously had the talent but very often never executed it or couldn't be bothered to.  He does have an issue imposing himself on games and also like Dyer I don't really know what his position was.

Aye, early on especially he reminded me of Dyer. He looked the kind of midfielder we'd lacked for years with his abolity to ghost into the box.

Shame.

Fellaini may be the better comparison. And like Fellaini, he probably won't quite cut it at the top end of the Premiership, but would do well at the likes of Everton or Southampton. Possibly Liverpool, but his technique is only average and Klopp might well want more from him in that area.

Having seen him play for Holland in the World Cup, I thought he was an excellent buy, and I saw him as filling Tiote's position as midfield anchorman. Turned out, he wasn't suited or ready for that role in the Premiership, but it felt like we couldn't play him as a box to box player either because we didn't have a decent midfield anchorman behind him who could take care of the defensive side in the centre.

So with the intention of getting the best possible use of resources, McClaren put him wide left, where he struggled to get involved consistently. I don't go for the idea that he didn't care or didn't put in the effort. He just looked lost.

Having seen him play for Holland in the World Cup, I thought he was an excellent buy, and I saw him as filling Tiote's position as midfield anchorman.

You never cease to amaze with your keen eye and blazingly accurate assessment of a player.  If we kept him then Tiote could have moved up and been our Essien.

Fellaini :lol: That's actually an even worse description/comparison than Kevin Nolan.

Dyer is a pretty good one though.

How he compares with this, that or the other attacking midfielder isn't the point at issue.

The fact is we ended up playing him wide left, a role where he was never, ever going to shine. I'd be interested to hear alternative theories as to how that happened.

Other than McClaren doesn't know anything about football, preferably.

I think he'll do just fine. His time here was spent in a largely directionless team, underperfroming and low on morale. He lost more and more heart as the season progressed and his smile faded with it, but the few occasions the team 'clicked' and dominated for a win he was invariably one of the better players. He should have never been paying on the left.

Midfield anchorman [emoji38] More suited to being a TV anchorman.

That's the role he played for Holland in the last World Cup, and that's how I was basing my expectations. However, Premiership football is a different proposition in that role. On the other hand, we never really found a decent role for him in our side, though we tried different options.

The player that I hoped he was going to be was Wanyama - a solid defensive unit down the centre who can still contribute to the attack, unlike Tiote. It didn't turn out that way.

Some posters on here have talked about his technique, but that's his weaker area. He's a good athlete but lacks the more subtle skills.

Think he's best suited to playing in a Terry Butcher sort of role. If Klopp keeps that in mind he might just succeed.

Don't know why they bothered signing Manninger as cover when they have Gini tbh.