Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

Who really cares if joselu runs around like a blue arsed fly in training?

Rafa, the coaches, Joselus teammates and some supporters.

If Shelvey see that Mitrovic is being picked ahead of Joselu when Joselu out performs him in training, maybe he too will put in less effort because he knows he will get picked anyway. Lascelles see that Shelvey and Mitro are picked ahead of Joselu and Merino/Hayden and puts in less effort etc etc. Joselu gets angry that he is not picked and stops making any effort because why should he if he isn't getting picked anyway. Poor training results in poor match performances and we go down.

One of the few advantages we have this season is fighting attitude and team spirit. I don't see why Rafa would risk spoiling that in order to accommodate one player.

I wonder how much it helped team morale to see a striker picked every week that never seemed to trouble a keeper.

If Shelvey see that Mitrovic is being picked ahead of Joselu when Joselu out performs him in training, maybe he too will put in less effort because he knows he will get picked anyway. Lascelles see that Shelvey and Mitro are picked ahead of Joselu and Merino/Hayden and puts in less effort etc etc. Joselu gets angry that he is not picked and stops making any effort because why should he if he isn't getting picked anyway. Poor training results in poor match performances and we go down.

One of the few advantages we have this season is fighting attitude and team spirit. I don't see why Rafa would risk spoiling that in order to accommodate one player.

I wonder how much it helped team morale to see a striker picked every week that never seemed to trouble a keeper.

I would assume it was a feeling of collective responsibility that nobody did good enough rather than players pointing at individuals.

I don't believe thinking in terms of Mitrovic v Joselu is all that constructive tbh. Where one has to been made out as less for the other to be more. Joselu does a different job, and some including the manager, coaching staff & players I presume would argue he has done it well enough for the most part. 'It's only the championship' is also not really a worthwhile point as the same could be applied to Dwight Gayle who has hardly set the world alight in the Premier League ever despite being quality in the Championship. I think it's more constructive to think of them individually and what they bring/could have brought to the team with recognition that all three of them have obvious positives & negatives. Joselu has scored a few important goals, worked very hard for the team & been lacklustre at times too, the same can very much be applied to Dwight Gayle who goes missing far to much to be a leading striker for us. Mitrovic on the other hand has had glimpses of action for us this season and arguably made us look a more potent attacking side on those occasions. I think the frustrations & questions come about through the thought of 'what if', as there's much evidence that points towards the feeling that if he was given a run in the side, he would have likely matched or bettered the other two scoring wise whilst also allowing us to take advantage of his direct style in a team consisting of poor passers of the ball and not much creativity generally speaking. Slimani could provide that if he gets himself fit in time, but now that Mitrovic is showing his worth and the ability to hit form despite not even being match fit - of course questions are going to be asked as understandably so I'd say. Not that they're all that useful at this present time mind. And not that he would have been guaranteed to make much of a difference either.

As an aside, and imo, going forward as a team I'd much rather keep hold of Mitrovic than the other two, I think Gayle & Joselu have pretty much reached their ceiling in the Premier League, where as Mitrovic is a young, promising player and more of an unknown quantity. You also cannot ignore the positive signs shown in his first season here when he was actually given a run. On the other hand, if Rafa doesn't see him as a player who can play in the system he sees fit, than obviously Mitrovic has to move on, but that doesn't mean he was/is poor in any way shape or form really.

On that I will agree. He's still young so there's every chance he could get better, whereas the other two were probably always considered as temporary solutions at best anyway. I still think Mitro has it all to prove as a Premier player, but that's not his fault, he hasn't really had the opportunity because he doesn't suit Rafa's methods. But even if Rafa leaves we might not see him here next season. If Fulham go up I think he'd rather stay there with a manager who is a fellow Serb and favours him.

I would assume it was a feeling of collective responsibility that nobody did good enough rather than players pointing at individuals.

I’m inclined to think that team morale with an extra six points in the bag would be a tad higher than it is now. I am willing to bet when a player looks at their pay packet at the end of the season if we go down they may not take the simplistic view that you have. I’ve never heard the likes of Alex Ferguson say Give me the player who runs around in training but can’t hit a barn door on Saturday afternoon because its good for morale. FFS.

I’m inclined to think that team morale with an extra six points in the bag would be a tad higher than it is now. I am willing to bet when a player looks at their pay packet at the end of the season if we go down they may not take the simplistic view that you have. I’ve never heard the likes of Alex Ferguson say Give me the player who runs around in training but can’t hit a barn door on Saturday afternoon because its good for morale. FFS.

Vastly different context.  :rolleyes:

He also discussed the best ways to deal with big egos, saying: "When I work with the biggest talents, I tell them that hard work is a talent, too. They need to work harder than anyone else. And if they can no longer bring the discipline that we ask for here at United, they are out.

Do you want to enlighten me?

You're comparing Rafa and Fergie even though they couldn't be any more different from each other? That includes anything from football philosophy, to transfer budget to control of the club.

From Twitter.. fairly spot on.

“Mitrović is playing in a team at the top end of their division, with a squad that includes some PL quality.

Naturally he's finding himself in scoring positions regularly & converting—just as he did at Anderlecht.

At Newcastle he's playing 30 yards deeper with his back to goal.“

He also discussed the best ways to deal with big egos, saying: "When I work with the biggest talents, I tell them that hard work is a talent, too. They need to work harder than anyone else. And if they can no longer bring the discipline that we ask for here at United, they are out.

Do you honestly think that if Ferguson or any top manager was staring relegation in the face they wouldn’t use every resource at their disposal to try to avoid it? It made no sense to get rid of Mitrovic and persist with the others up front. Even less if the reason was he didn’t train hard enough. And then to panic and bring in a player with what could be a long term injury?

You're comparing Rafa and Fergie even though they couldn't be any more different from each other? That includes anything from football philosophy, to transfer budget to control of the club.

Doesn’t make any difference when you are circling the bowl what your philosophy is. You use every resource available to you and you certainly don’t get rid of options now, you wait until the summer. While I’m not saying Mitrovic could save us,  Are you happy that we could be relegated on Rafa’s point of principle?

From Twitter.. fairly spot on.

“Mitrović is playing in a team at the top end of their division, with a squad that includes some PL quality.

Naturally he's finding himself in scoring positions regularly & converting—just as he did at Anderlecht.

At Newcastle he's playing 30 yards deeper with his back to goal.“

30 yards or not, e wasn’t actually playing though was he?

Doesn’t make any difference when you are circling the bowl what your philosophy is. You use every resource available to you and you certainly don’t get rid of options now, you wait until the summer. While I’m not saying Mitrovic could save us,  Are you happy that we could be relegated on Rafa’s point of principle?

It's no different than when Fergie got rid of the likes of Beckham, Stam, etc when they were fighting for trophies.

Do you honestly think that if Ferguson or any top manager was staring relegation in the face they wouldn’t use every resource at their disposal to try to avoid it? It made no sense to get rid of Mitrovic and persist with the others up front. Even less if the reason was he didn’t train hard enough. And then to panic and bring in a player with what could be a long term injury?

I have no clue man.

The point kind of contradicts itself though, because if the top manager doesn't believe the player will help the cause then the whole discussion is irrelevant. Fergie would use any resource, so would Rafa, if they thought it would make a difference.

but why but why but why but why *furiously tugs weird little serbian pud* why joselu why why but why not mitro *is a nonce* why why wahhhhhh WAHHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHH *sound of 5000 screaming babies in an echo chamber*

EVERY. FUCKING. DAY. :lol:

This is the truth.

but why but why but why but why *furiously tugs weird little serbian pud* why joselu why why but why not mitro *is a nonce* why why wahhhhhh WAHHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHH *sound of 5000 screaming babies in an echo chamber*

EVERY. FUCKING. DAY. :lol:

:lol: :thup: it’s the most tedious shit

It's super annoying that we've brought in Slimani, he's injured, probably won't play until Huddersfield, and Mitro has scored 5 goals in 2 weeks.

Typical Newcastle tbh.

In the Championship. Where Dwight Gayle was top scorer in the league. Where Shola Ameobi had a better than one in two record. It's such an irrelevant comparison man.

It's super annoying that we've brought in Slimani, he's injured, probably won't play until Huddersfield, and Mitro has scored 5 goals in 2 weeks.

Typical Newcastle tbh.

In the Championship. Where Dwight Gayle was top scorer in the league. Where Shola Ameobi had a better than one in two record. It's such an irrelevant comparison man.

Mitro still has the best goals to minutes ratio in the Premier League for us.

Or doesn’t that count/matter either?

Typical Newcastle tbh.

You not annoyed Slimani is injured? Been a real dud of a loan move so far. Hopefully he comes good (and there is time) but at the moment, it's not great.

You can argue about the merits of the Championship, but Mitro is currently in good form and looking sharp.

It might be Rafa's point of principle that keeps us up yet. All you can do is hope he knows what he's doing better than we do, and you are talking about one of the most highly respected managers in recent history.