Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

Guest firetotheworks

thomas's point was that the argument hasn't changed, it's the same questions and the same answers over and over and over again and it has been for ages. Don't let that distinction stand in the way of yet more strawman 'my voice is being oppressed' bollocks though.

But everytime he scores, or is shit, it strengthens an argument either way. If people don't want to read these arguments they can click a different thread, surely?

It really doesn't imo.

On one side of the argument him scoring and playing well for Fulham in the league below is great, but that doesn't automatically mean that translates to him scoring and playing well in our team, with Rafa's style of play, in the league above (see Gayle as a basic example), or that Rafa should play him when he thinks it would negatively affect the team.

Likewise, on the other side of the argument if he doesn't play well or gets sent off, he's still viewed as a better option than Gayle (who ripped it up in the Championship) and Joselu, who should have been given more or a chance, and Rafa's still made a mistake .

They were the same arguments before he went to Fulham and I haven't seen any new ones. I don't think many are going to fully change their mind on Mitrovic based on a few months away on loan in the Championship unless his success or failure there was the thing that they needed to tip them from sitting on the fence, but as we already know, opinions on Mitrovic tend to polarised.

Think the problem surrounding Mitro is that he was never given a proper decent run in the team in the Premier League this season. Had he been given one and turn out as shit as Joselu or even worse, then most likely we could conclude that he is not up to standards. Forget the fact that he already had a full season when we were relegated. The whole team were shit back then. Just think that we should have at least played him in the early part of the season before loaning him out and bringing in an injured replacement in.

I love Rafa, I like Mitro. As they cannot coincide, it's easy to be rational. I'd say he'd have been getting games here under any other manager we could hope to attract, but this highlights the calibre of Benitez more than the difficiency in Mitrovic. IMO, I think he's just genuinely too thick to follow Benitez's instructions properly.

I'm disappointed that it looks we won't see him any more in a Newcastle jersey as I think he's going to grow into being a very useful striker wherever he plays. IMO definitely PL-standard and currently better than anyone else we have. Hope he has a good career, I always liked the way he played with his head up and was quite unselfish, really good traits for an old-fashioned target man.

but why but why but why but why *furiously tugs weird little serbian pud* why joselu why why but why not mitro *is a nonce* why why wahhhhhh WAHHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHH *sound of 5000 screaming babies in an echo chamber*

EVERY. f***ing. DAY. :lol:

Strange post. There wouldn't be any discussion about Mitrovic if our top striker had managed more than 5 goals all season. Or if we didn't look useless in front of goal every week.

To call what's gone on the last 100 pages or so a "discussion" is generous on a level I didn't know existed.

Discussions usually have finish lines. Outcomes. Not circular arguing by people talking past each other with fingers in their ears going "la la la can't hear you." Not one single step of progress has been made towards consensus or answering the plaintive mating cry of the blue tailed mitrononce as it warbles "but why, but why" in its nest. 

It's all very pointless. As is complaining about it, I'm aware. But I've got it off my chest now, so as you were.

Why would you expect to reach an outcome, consensus, or finish line when you're talking about ever-changing scenarios such as a club's form and player selection? Last I checked this is a football forum. By your logic, we should shut down every thread on here because I don't see a consensus in any of them. The whole point of a forum is that people will exchange views, often opposing ones.

We have here a situation where our top scorer is on 5 goals, and looks unlikely to reach the 9 goals which a striker on our books - who has been farmed out on loan - reached in his first season in the Premier League at the age of 21. Now said striker is playing and scoring regularly - albeit at a lower level - and it's inevitable people will draw comparisons at a time when the club are desperate for goals.

We can't just throw toys out of the pram because people have opposing views.

Very good post.

While we all appreciate Rafa and his good points outweigh the bad by far, I still think he's guilty of poor man management with Mitrovic. Almost to the point he has a mind block.

If we had viable alternatives then I'd see where he is coming from but we don't. Watching Joselu is painful bordering on the ridiculous. Putting weak as piss Perez up front is a joke. And yet  we see it week after week. Acquiring an injured player is laughable.

Getting rid of Mitrovic in this situation was a mistake and doesn't make sense in footballing terms. He was another option, now we have none.

OK. Now you can close this thread.

but why but why but why but why *furiously tugs weird little serbian pud* why joselu why why but why not mitro *is a nonce* why why wahhhhhh WAHHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHH *sound of 5000 screaming babies in an echo chamber*

EVERY. f***ing. DAY. :lol:

Strange post. There wouldn't be any discussion about Mitrovic if our top striker had managed more than 5 goals all season. Or if we didn't look useless in front of goal every week.

To call what's gone on the last 100 pages or so a "discussion" is generous on a level I didn't know existed.

Discussions usually have finish lines. Outcomes. Not circular arguing by people talking past each other with fingers in their ears going "la la la can't hear you." Not one single step of progress has been made towards consensus or answering the plaintive mating cry of the blue tailed mitrononce as it warbles "but why, but why" in its nest.

It's all very pointless. As is complaining about it, I'm aware. But I've got it off my chest now, so as you were.

:lol:

It's super annoying that we've brought in Slimani, he's injured, probably won't play until Huddersfield, and Mitro has scored 5 goals in 2 weeks.

Typical Newcastle tbh.

In the Championship. Where Dwight Gayle was top scorer in the league. Where Shola Ameobi had a better than one in two record. It's such an irrelevant comparison man.

Shola has 12 goals in 32 games in the Championship and Chris Wood was the top scorer last season...

He got 10 in 18 in his only Championship season with us. I wasn't talking about his time at Bolton when he was f***ing 34  :lol:

What time of Dwight Gayle's career were you talking about?

thomas's point was that the argument hasn't changed, it's the same questions and the same answers over and over and over again and it has been for ages. Don't let that distinction stand in the way of yet more strawman 'my voice is being oppressed' bollocks though.

Strawman argument right there.

Has Rafa got any history of this kind of thing, just out of interest? I'm pretty sure in his career he must have encountered numerous mavericks that haven't adapted to his philosophies. Obviously the ones who disappeared into oblivion vindicate him, but I wonder if he has ever (choose my words carefully) passed on a player who went on to become a star.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Mitro will go on to be a star.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa sid in a recent talk in regarding Mitrovic, saying he’d score lots of goals in this league if he played up front every week and we got crosses in but we don’t play that way so he wouldn’t score so many goals. Meanwhile the ones he picks... they don’t either. Hmmm! I’m not a fan of Mitrovic, but it does piss me off seeing Joselu get so much game time this season when he’s been utterly shit and is utterly shit and Mitrovic hasn’t even been given a sniff. I’m happy for the lad and if we go down and lose Rafa we may actually need him... stay up and keep Rafa and we could get some good coin for him to reinv... well to stop us doing a Leeds.

Has Rafa got any history of this kind of thing, just out of interest? I'm pretty sure in his career he must have encountered numerous mavericks that haven't adapted to his philosophies. Obviously the ones who disappeared into oblivion vindicate him, but I wonder if he has ever (choose my words carefully) passed on a player who went on to become a star.

By the look of this, not when he was at Liverpool: http://lfcstats.co.uk/rafatransfers.html

One or two questionable signings, but pretty much everyone he sold either went on to do very little or brought in a good price or both.

By the look of this, not when he was at Liverpool: http://lfcstats.co.uk/rafatransfers.html

One or two questionable signings, but pretty much everyone he sold either went on to do very little or brought in a good price or both.

Some fun nostalgic names in there. Didn't realise Salif Diao played for them for 5 years. Remember when everyone wanted a Senegalese in their team after the 2002 World Cup

Guest firetotheworks

Strawman argument right there.

Nah.

He's got a history of knowing his own mind, I doubt a whole bunch of fans or pundits disagreeing with him will make any difference.

I have no boggle with either the pro-Mitros or the anti-Mitros, but there's a surprising amount of chitter about a man who'll never play for us again.

I'm not so sure about that, Rafa's future at the club is far from assured.