Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

I think given time he could turn into a fairly decent mid-table CB, but we don't have that time to give this season, so should be 3rd choice this season.

• 1 month later...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4176472/jamaal-lascelles-newcastle-are-united/

SINGING THE SAME TOON Newcastle star Jamaal Lascelles: We used to have players who didn’t care – now we are United

Toon skipper admits Rafa Benitez' side's team spirit has transformed and vows to not let new signings break it

JAMAAL LASCELLES knows how bad eggs can stink out a dressing room – and he will not let it happen at Newcastle again.

The centre-half, 23, memorably slammed some of his own Toon team-mates during their doomed last Premier League campaign.

After a 3-1 defeat at Southampton in April 2016, Lascelles broke ranks to admit that Newcastle needed “more heart, desire and bigger characters”.

The then rookie defender’s public rant made him a fans’ favourite, with boss Rafa Benitez awarding him the club captaincy following relegation.

Last season, Newcastle went on to win the Championship under the leadership of Lascelles, who further adhered himself to supporters by playing through a double hernia from Christmas onwards.

And the ex-England Under-21 international claims the Toon’s team spirit is now a million miles from what it was in 2015-16 – and he has vowed to not let any new signings break it.

Speaking ahead of Newcastle’s Premier League opener with Tottenham, Lascelles told SunSport: “There’s a massive difference.

“I’m not going to sit here and slate the players that were here before, but maybe they didn’t have that heart which you needed to have at that time.

“I think togetherness and being a team is so important in football and that’s exactly what we are now.

“It’s important that we keep that, so whoever we bring in, their attitude has got to be right.

“If I see it’s not, I’ll tell them or I’ll pull them to a side and say ‘Listen’.

“Players can affect how a team is, but the boys won’t let that happen.

“If someone was to come into this team, they’d have to do it the way we do it.”

That relegation season was Lascelles’ first at St James’ Park, having signed for Newcastle from Nottingham Forest in the summer of 2014, but gone back to the City Ground on loan for a year.

He was largely stuck on the bench under Steve McClaren and was left to watch some of his team-mates down tools.

And he could not hide his frustration, with cameras picking him up shouting “Nobody gives a f***” as he walked down the tunnel after being sent off in the last minute of a 3-0 defeat at Everton.

But it was at St Mary’s where Lascelles really put his head above the parapet and let rip in a post-match TV interview.

He recalled: “It just happened. I wasn’t thinking about it.

“I was just angry and frustrated, because I’d been on the bench and I’d been watching. I could see what was going on.

“At that moment in time, we were holding on for our lives, fighting a relegation battle.

“And I just felt like some players weren’t pulling their weight or weren’t even that bothered. I thought some players weren’t giving their all.

“OK, they might be more talented than someone but what’s the point of having talent if you are not going to work hard or you don’t care about the club.

“After I spoke, there were a few upset people in the dressing room, there were a few arguments.

“But I felt like someone needed to say something and I did.

“I’m not saying I was a big leader back then, but i don’t think you are a true leader if you are going to shy away and not tell someone.

“If you think something needs to be said, then you do say it.”

Lascelles was praised for speaking his mind so it was a popular decision when he was handed the captain’s armband, something he hopes to keep hold of this season.

And it is clear he takes his role seriously – speaking more like a manager than a skipper when asked about his duties.

Lascelles said: “Being made captain was something you wouldn’t dream of.

“For a huge manager with a big profile like Rafa to give me the armband is quite phenomenal.

“It comes with a lot of added pressure but I feel like I can deal with that.

“Every time I train and every game, I’m learning new things.

“Like how to get the best out of a player, whether you give them constructive criticism or whether you give them a pat on the back.

“Over the last year, I managed to get to know my players even better, so I kind of know how to approach players and get the best out of them.

“If someone needs a kick up the backside, then that’s what they need to get.”

Lascelles certainly led by example last season when he put off a double hernia operation to play through the pain barrier for half of the campaign.

He eventually had surgery immediately after Newcastle clinched promotion with a win over Preston at the end of April.

And Lascelles explained: “It was around Christmas time that I first felt something and it was pretty bad.

“I was in pain every step, every training session. I used to get injections in my butt cheek before every game to try and mask the pain.

“In terms of running and getting around the pitch, I was probably playing at about 50 per cent.

“I knew I was struggling and at times I wasn’t doing myself any justice.

“But at the same time I couldn’t sit there and watch the team play.

“When there is a massive prize on the line, getting promoted and getting Newcastle back in the Premier League, you’d pretty much do anything for that, wouldn’t you?

“I’m not really a fan of players who get little niggles and come off when they probably could play if they grit their teeth.”

Lascelles admits he now feels “like a different person” following his operation and thinks he will be able to “offer more for the team” this season.

And he is also backing Newcastle to shine on their Premier League return.

Lascelles added: “We haven’t really spoken about our aim, but personally I think it should be to try and get in the top ten.

“I don’t see why we can’t. I think we will do well.”

Will be interesting to see if he brings him straight back in. Clark & Lejeune should start next week.

Agreed. Like the ambition of trying to get into the top 10 this season. I don't believe we can but it's refreshing.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not his biggest fan, but I really admire the confidence he has with his role as captain and what it means to play for Newcastle.

Considering he had a double hernia and was at 50%, Rafa played him despite a focus on fitness and squad rotation. Were our backups in Mbemba and Hanley that bad that Rafa would rather play a half-fit Lascelles?

Considering he had a double hernia and was at 50%, Rafa played him despite a focus on fitness and squad rotation. Were our backups in Mbemba and Hanley that bad that Rafa would rather play a half-fit Lascelles?

Maybe it was the players decision more than Rafas.

He states that he doesn't like players who cry off with niggles, and seems to feel it is part of his style of leadership by example, so I'm sure he would have been bending Rafas ear.

Any other player and I think Rafa would have let them know who the boss is.

SINGING THE SAME TOON Newcastle star Jamaal Lascelles: We used to have players who didn’t care – now we are United

Toon skipper admits Rafa Benitez' side's team spirit has transformed and vows to not let new signings break it

The Sun (and the Chron) always get their writing style shown up when posting on here - 5 millions paragraphs each 5 words long. Looks more like a shopping list rather than an article.

JAMAAL LASCELLES knows how bad eggs can stink out a dressing room – and he will not let it happen at Newcastle again.

The centre-half, 23, memorably slammed some of his own Toon team-mates during their doomed last Premier League campaign.

After a 3-1 defeat at Southampton in April 2016, Lascelles broke ranks to admit that Newcastle needed “more heart, desire and bigger characters”.

The then rookie defender’s public rant made him a fans’ favourite, with boss Rafa Benitez awarding him the club captaincy following relegation.

Last season, Newcastle went on to win the Championship under the leadership of Lascelles, who further adhered himself to supporters by playing through a double hernia from Christmas onwards.

And the ex-England Under-21 international claims the Toon’s team spirit is now a million miles from what it was in 2015-16 – and he has vowed to not let any new signings break it.

Speaking ahead of Newcastle’s Premier League opener with Tottenham, Lascelles told SunSport: “There’s a massive difference.

“I’m not going to sit here and slate the players that were here before, but maybe they didn’t have that heart which you needed to have at that time.

“I think togetherness and being a team is so important in football and that’s exactly what we are now.

“It’s important that we keep that, so whoever we bring in, their attitude has got to be right.

“If I see it’s not, I’ll tell them or I’ll pull them to a side and say ‘Listen’.

“Players can affect how a team is, but the boys won’t let that happen.

“If someone was to come into this team, they’d have to do it the way we do it.”

That relegation season was Lascelles’ first at St James’ Park, having signed for Newcastle from Nottingham Forest in the summer of 2014, but gone back to the City Ground on loan for a year.

He was largely stuck on the bench under Steve McClaren and was left to watch some of his team-mates down tools.

And he could not hide his frustration, with cameras picking him up shouting “Nobody gives a f***” as he walked down the tunnel after being sent off in the last minute of a 3-0 defeat at Everton.

But it was at St Mary’s where Lascelles really put his head above the parapet and let rip in a post-match TV interview.

He recalled: “It just happened. I wasn’t thinking about it.

“I was just angry and frustrated, because I’d been on the bench and I’d been watching. I could see what was going on.

“At that moment in time, we were holding on for our lives, fighting a relegation battle.

“And I just felt like some players weren’t pulling their weight or weren’t even that bothered. I thought some players weren’t giving their all.

“OK, they might be more talented than someone but what’s the point of having talent if you are not going to work hard or you don’t care about the club.

“After I spoke, there were a few upset people in the dressing room, there were a few arguments.

“But I felt like someone needed to say something and I did.

“I’m not saying I was a big leader back then, but i don’t think you are a true leader if you are going to shy away and not tell someone.

“If you think something needs to be said, then you do say it.”

Lascelles was praised for speaking his mind so it was a popular decision when he was handed the captain’s armband, something he hopes to keep hold of this season.

And it is clear he takes his role seriously – speaking more like a manager than a skipper when asked about his duties.

Lascelles said: “Being made captain was something you wouldn’t dream of.

“For a huge manager with a big profile like Rafa to give me the armband is quite phenomenal.

“It comes with a lot of added pressure but I feel like I can deal with that.

“Every time I train and every game, I’m learning new things.

“Like how to get the best out of a player, whether you give them constructive criticism or whether you give them a pat on the back.

“Over the last year, I managed to get to know my players even better, so I kind of know how to approach players and get the best out of them.

“If someone needs a kick up the backside, then that’s what they need to get.”

Lascelles certainly led by example last season when he put off a double hernia operation to play through the pain barrier for half of the campaign.

He eventually had surgery immediately after Newcastle clinched promotion with a win over Preston at the end of April.

And Lascelles explained: “It was around Christmas time that I first felt something and it was pretty bad.

“I was in pain every step, every training session. I used to get injections in my butt cheek before every game to try and mask the pain.

“In terms of running and getting around the pitch, I was probably playing at about 50 per cent.

“I knew I was struggling and at times I wasn’t doing myself any justice.

“But at the same time I couldn’t sit there and watch the team play.

“When there is a massive prize on the line, getting promoted and getting Newcastle back in the Premier League, you’d pretty much do anything for that, wouldn’t you?

“I’m not really a fan of players who get little niggles and come off when they probably could play if they grit their teeth.”

Lascelles admits he now feels “like a different person” following his operation and thinks he will be able to “offer more for the team” this season.

And he is also backing Newcastle to shine on their Premier League return.

Lascelles added: “We haven’t really spoken about our aim, but personally I think it should be to try and get in the top ten.

“I don’t see why we can’t. I think we will do well.”

He didnt say it pissed at a wedding though so not really too impressed tbh

I hope that his injury problems that he describes are the reason why he was poor for a lot of his games in the second half of the season, it would surely make sense, because he was a beast in the first half of the season, I can't help but think Rafa will start with Clark and Lejeune from what we've seen, but this guy is definitely the future at the back.

Love this lad.  Whatever he lacks in talent he more than makes up for in attitude, something people underestimate at times.  He's clearly an intelligent lad and i'm sure he'll improve as the season goes on.

:thup: