Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

12 hours ago, Klaus said:

We all knew his strengths and weaknesses. He is a good leader/strong/good for set penis, but on the other is clumsy and lacks confidence on the ball.

Glad to hear he had a good game, considering the opposition.

Always gotta have a player whose good and strong on the penis 😊

I’ve been proven a little wrong on him yesterday and glad I have - I said a while ago we should move him on and somebody tore into me big style, seems they were right to do so because as others have said he’s the one bastard who can head the ball and he also has great leadership qualities as well as being a bit of a hard one it seems.

Thought he had Haaland in his back pocket yesterday, he’s a good threat from set pieces as well which is something we need, would start him next week.

Edited by Geogaddi

It’s always been his decision making or lack of awareness that’s been his downfall.

I must say I was worried when I saw his name on the team sheet especially against the pace and power of Haaland. But man for man, I’d say that’s one of the few this season who’s really put it up to him, what he lacked in pace, he made up for body positioning and strength, won his headers etc. Both he and Botman were let down by their full backs yesterday.

• 1 month later...

I know it's just a standard practise and nothing to rave about but I still find it a nice and lovely touch whenever he comes on and Trippier puts the captain's armband on him. Think he still gets massive respect in the dressing room among the players.

Edited by nufcjb

• 3 weeks later...

If lascelles is happy to that's fine, get him doing coaching badges he seems the type considering how much he seems to be valued on the training ground. He should be under no illusion though. 

In summer we will likely sign a new left back, Burn will likely be ahead of him as a backup CB if he's not at left back. Equally we will likely sign competition for Schar who will likewise be ahead. Unless one of them is odd his playing time will be minimal, but equally we will have a lot more games next season. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s probably more up to Lascelles than Howe about him staying, surely Lascelles will want to go and play.

If he does should be allowed to. Not impossible he has personal life all set up here, is well liked in dressing room, and as said could get coaching badges, however it is kinda sad for a CB to be 29 and not playing week in week out. 

We need a bigger squad and if the likes of him, Manquillo and Krafth are happy kicking around on the edges of the team then 100% keep them. It's going to be hard signing reliable players who are going to come here knowing they're not going to play much and then hit the ground running when they're needed.

Edited by LeeB

Happy for him to stay on personally, every time he's played this season people have been pleasantly surprised e.g. Liverpool away.

And given we might be signing so many over the summer, I think the more of the (good) old guard we keep on to maintain dressing room standards the better.

On a separate but related note, I hope people understand our priority next season is the league again, not Europe. I see comments about how much we're gonna need to sign to be competitive there next year. And it's true.

But there's only so much we're gonna be able to do, so there's probably going to be a lot of balancing acts going on in terms of tactics and morale. If it boiled down to it, I'd be happy seeing Lascelles and Krafth running out for us against Bayern on a Wednesday night if it was about keeping Trippier and Botman right for a Brentford game on the Saturday. Repeated league advancement is what will sustain the club.

One of our targets this summer should absolutely be a top class CB prospect that we view as the long term partner for Botman. Hopefully Ashworth has his eye on someone, there was a link to that young Croatian lad who's apparently highly sought after so I suspect there will be someone brought in.

Ideally though we would keep Lascelles and there'd be no pressure on that youngster to be involved right away. If he is quality straight away all the better but you don't want to throw an unprepared young lad in too soon and knock his confidence.

Similar to how we'll probably keep Krafth next year and give Ashby more time to get up to speed. Then when Lascelles and Krafth's deals are up in 2024 you let them move on and Ashby and the new CB are ready to step in. Maybe the club would like to make a return on Lascelles though rather than let him walk for nothing a year later?

Anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion that if Lascelles has to play at some point he'll be really good. Why should he be any different to everyone else that Howe gets his hands on? :lol:

32 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s probably more up to Lascelles than Howe about him staying, surely Lascelles will want to go and play.

You never know he might wanna stick around for another season to see if we can win something.