Karl Darlow (now playing for Leeds United)

Nobody

Or of course Darlow could still step up and become our number 1, he's only young in goalkeeping terms and he has some very strong aspects to his game. The things he needs to work on can be taught luckily so I think Darlow still has much room to grow into.

He'll probably be a decent keeper when he's in his 30's aye

I think so. Whether we can wait is another question. He will need first team action if he's to grow so it's a tough balancing act.

Don't think he will ever be a premiership number one. He's more than capable of being a championship starter.

I don't mind seeing him get a new deal and loaned out. There's bound to be a championship club who could use him next season... (not us before anyone bothers).

Or of course Darlow could still step up and become our number 1, he's only young in goalkeeping terms and he has some very strong aspects to his game. The things he needs to work on can be taught luckily so I think Darlow still has much room to grow into.

Concentration, focus and mentality hard ones to teach.

Hmm, interesting. Not really sure he struggles with them in particular. You might see things differently like.

They are by far is biggest weaknesses - he makes game changing mistakes that cost goals. These aren't due to his technique more often than not.

Most notable for me was at Burton away last year in the small terrace and very close to the goal so I could see him up close and he was shaking like a leaf with nerves every time he took a goal kick.

If he could cut them out I think he could become a decent Premier League 'keeper.

Hmm, interesting. Not really sure he struggles with them in particular. You might see things differently like.

They are by far is biggest weaknesses - he makes game changing mistakes that cost goals. These aren't due to his technique more often than not.

Most notable for me was at Burton away last year in the small terrace and very close to the goal so I could see him up close and he was shaking like a leaf with nerves every time he took a goal kick.

If he could cut them out I think he could become a decent Premier League 'keeper.

Might have just been cold  :lol:

Any other examples? I'm interested in your perspective but still can't recall that many occasions where his concentration/focus has glaringly obviously let him down to be considered a huge problem.

Any other examples? I'm interested in your perspective but still can't recall that many occasions where his concentration/focus has glaringly obviously let him down to be considered a huge problem.

Ipswich away last season? Everton at home this season?

Ipswich away last season? Everton at home this season?

Everton was more positioning than focus imo.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the biggest was that one where he ended up making the save by diving over his own player. Everything leading up to that was rank amateur. He's been good last couple of games mind.

Had a good game for me. Felt proud of them all actually, as individuals. It was just like watching my son’s very good under 9 team get beat 3-2 in a cup game yesterday morning against a team of recent drop-outs from City elite squad, still managed and trained by one of the academy coaches. I also felt disappointed (NUFC wise) that man on man there is such a gulf between what we have and the top tier of the Prem.

Had a good game for me. Felt proud of them all actually, as individuals. It was just like watching my son’s very good under 9 team get beat 3-2 in a cup game yesterday morning against a team of recent drop-outs from City elite squad, still managed and trained by one of the academy coaches. I also felt disappointed (NUFC wise) that man on man there is such a gulf between what we have and the top tier of the Prem.

The difference in pace at which each team plays at is staggering, it's like they're playing FIFA while we're playing Pro Evo. :lol:

The difference in pace at which each team plays at is staggering, it's like they're playing FIFA while we're playing Pro Evo. :lol:

Pro Evo is miles better than Fifa tbf.

To blame Darlow for that goal is to basically blame him for not being world class. He was marking the side of the goal the wall wasn't, that's the correct & standard procedure - meaning his positioning was fine. Fair enough the ball didn't end up right in the inside netting; but Alonso got it up and over at a good deal of pace and it kept curling away to the right as it neared goal. Not many keepers in the league would have had a chance in dealing with that. De Gea & Courtois perhaps the only two due to agility/height respectively.

To blame Darlow for that goal is to basically blame him for not being world class. He was marking the side of the goal the wall wasn't, that's the correct & standard procedure - meaning his positioning was fine. Fair enough the ball didn't end up right in the inside netting; but Alonso got it up and over at a good deal of pace and it kept curling away to the right as it neared goal. Not many keepers in the league would have had a chance in dealing with that. De Gea & Courtois perhaps the only two due to agility/height respectively.

He maybe just didn't set the wall up right. Just went over 3 Chelsea players didn't it?

Think you need to watch it again. Darlow made two fundamental mistakes, the wall was in the wrong place (and arguably didn't have enough men in it if he was setting it up for right and left foot takers) - the wall was only set up for a right footed free kick only. That really is a basic fundamental error by Darlow. The free kick didn't even go over the wall. His positioning was also poor, he had no sight of the shot being taken so he was late to react. His view was blocked by Chelsea players, he needs to either instruct our players to be in there and disrupt the Chelsea players or move slightly and find a line of sight to the ball, even if that is through players legs etc.