Chancel Mbemba

Nobody

Going further back, I can remember Paul Parker being an effective central defender at 5'7". Some players have an abnormally good leap on them.

Paul Parker initially made his name as a sweeper at QPR but was better known as a right back at Man United and for England.

He was never really a traditional centre back.

He autographed my programme outside Loftus Road the day Gazza got sent off for us around 1987ish and 5' 7" is pushing it a bit, he was tiny!

I seem to remember that Fenwick was the sweeper, and Parker was one of the markers. Either way, he could beat opponents in the air who were far taller.

The other one I can remember was Steve Perryman, who played at CB for Spurs in the early 80s. He was a similar height, but could still challenge well in the air, and he had the advantage of nimble movement on the ground, which he shared with Parker.

Steve Perryman was a full back and in his younger days, a midfielder, never a centre half. He wore the 6 shirt which is possibly confusing you.

I am 100000000% sure I am right about this. Perryman started off in central midfield, but in the last few years of his career played at centre back for Spurs. And very well too.