Chancel Mbemba

Nobody

Newcastle close in on Mbemba

Football

Oluwashina Okeleji

BBC Sport

Posted at 10:53

Newcastle are set to complete the £7m signing of Anderlecht's DR Congo defender Chancel Mbemba, 20, after he arrived at St James' Park for a medical.

Newcastle close in on Mbemba

Football

Oluwashina Okeleji

BBC Sport

Posted at 10:53

Newcastle are set to complete the £7m signing of Anderlecht's DR Congo defender Chancel Mbemba, 45, after he arrived at St James' Park for a medical.

Why would he arrive at SJP for a medical, surely the Nuffield would be more appropriate.

BBC and other media usually say SJP when we sign a player :lol: He clearly won't have his medical there.

Maybe they got Age Concern in to have a meeting with him "Just in case"

In terms of songs, it's a shame he isn't signing for Wimbledon really.

How about

"Mbemba is a Magpie,

(Mbemba is a Magpie),

Mbemba is a Magpie,

(Mbemba is a Magpie),

Mbemba is a Magpie,

(Mbemba is a Magpie),

Mbemba is a Magpie,

(Mbemba is a Magpie),

Mbemba, Mbemba, Mbemba, what a wonderful Magpie you are."

Going further back, I can remember Paul Parker being an effective central defender at 5'7". Some players have an abnormally good leap on them.

Paul Parker initially made his name as a sweeper at QPR but was better known as a right back at Man United and for England.

He was never really a traditional centre back.

He autographed my programme outside Loftus Road the day Gazza got sent off for us around 1987ish and 5' 7" is pushing it a bit, he was tiny!

I seem to remember that Fenwick was the sweeper, and Parker was one of the markers. Either way, he could beat opponents in the air who were far taller.

The other one I can remember was Steve Perryman, who played at CB for Spurs in the early 80s. He was a similar height, but could still challenge well in the air, and he had the advantage of nimble movement on the ground, which he shared with Parker.

Nobody's writing him off at all. It's just that I can't think of a single CB under 6' who's been a success in the PL. Obviously it sounds like he's a really athletic kid so if he's partnered right it shouldn't be any issue whatsoever.

I don't believe Kolo Toure is any taller than Mbemba. Yobo will claim to be 6'1+, but this is an outright lie. He was nowhere near this when I met him. Height is important in that position, but it can easily be overcome by pace and athleticism. There have been many successful African defenders in that mould. I agree he should be partnered with someone quite tall ideally, though.

I think it depends on how physically powerful he is as well. Mbiwa was fast but he wasn't that big size wise. It might be that Mbemba is built like a brick shit house so even if he's not tall he won't be easy to dominate. I haven't actually seen him in action so I'll reserve judgement. Maybe the idea is to partner him with Lascelles at some point, assuming the lad is better than he's looked so far in the friendlies.

Going further back, I can remember Paul Parker being an effective central defender at 5'7". Some players have an abnormally good leap on them.

Paul Parker initially made his name as a sweeper at QPR but was better known as a right back at Man United and for England.

He autographed my programme outside Loftus Road the day Gazza got sent off for us around 1987ish and 5' 7" is pushing it a bit, he was tiny!

I seem to remember that Fenwick was the sweeper, and Parker was one of the markers. Either way, he could beat opponents in the air who were far taller.

The other one I can remember was Steve Perryman, who played at CB for Spurs in the early 80s. He was a similar height, but could still challenge well in the air, and he had the advantage of nimble movement on the ground, which he shared with Parker.

I seem to recall Perryman being a midfielder not a centre back mind.

Steve Perryman was a full back and in his younger days, a midfielder, never a centre half. He wore the 6 shirt which is possibly confusing you.