Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Mönchengladbach - FT

Nobody

One upfront doesnt work for me, we've not scored a single goal from a striker in 7 pre season games bar a penalty.

Goal v gateshead = Penalty.

Goal v Club Atlas = Sissoko on the break

Goal v Sacramento = Own goal

Portland Timbers = Aarons two special goals & cross for Wijnaldum

Sheffield united = Backpass for Wijnaldum & corner flick on for Dejong

York = Corner flick on.

Borussia = Nowt.

So only one goal in open play that didnt involve Rolando Aarons in 7 matches from Sissoko on the counter. Id rather we had two upfront & occupied the centre backs better, the forward is always isolated otherwise.

I think it'd be fine if you don't have a central midfield of Anita Colback. It's imperative we have a midfielder that looks to get forward when we've got 1 up front, Wijnaldum fits the bill perfectly. He was very impressive in patches today.

Mitrovic could be anything but he hasn't exactly hit the ground running. We need goals.

Christ :lol:

He's had enough chances to have scored 3 or 4 by now, laugh it off but from what I've seen he's best attacking crosses and we're not set up for that. I'd start Cisse on Sunday. We've scored a pitiful amount of pre season goals against mostly poor opposition playing at about 80%.

He's had an hour of playing time in pre season where he's spent most of it joining us and getting a visa. What he does at the moment really means f*** all to me, also he's got into more goalscoring positions than Cisse has in that 60 mins. The goals will come, what's the point in sticking with someone who hardly gets any chances because physically he's too easy to play against. He's shown enough he can be very effective, so what if the goals haven't come in pre season? give the lad more than an hour before you decide nah i want Austin :lol:

I want them both, I happen to think that too much will be expected of Mitrovic if he starts next week. The left back position is most pressing for me and going into the season without any semblance of a settled back four is asking for trouble.

He's played and scored in the CL against Arsenal and Dortmund, doubt the pressure of our fans will mean much.

1 upfront doesn't work :lol: Aye just the majority of football uses 1 upfront but nah it don't work.

There is no such thing and doesn't work, it's just a question of quality and coaching. Such an english attitude that, not scoring enough goals? ALL THE STRIKERS!

1 upfront doesn't work :lol: Aye just the majority of football uses 1 upfront but nah it don't work.

There is no such thing and doesn't work, it's just a question of quality and coaching. Such an english attitude that, not scoring enough goals? ALL THE STRIKERS!

Not said it doesnt work as a formation, but with the players we have & where we are at currently. We are not fluid enough to involve one man upfront, he is just isolated constantly & our ability to cross the ball and pick him out is awful.

I think in the second half that aspect of our play improved a lot, a big problem for some time has been that the wide players were so conservative under Pardew (Gouff etc.) that our attacking play normally consisted of just Sissoko and the striker with little support coming from elsewhere.

I think with the likes of Wijnaldum and de Jong in the team, both of whom seem to be intelligent runners off the ball we should see the striker being less isolated. Don't really see many scenarios where 4-4-2 can be successful for us.

Not said it doesnt work as a formation, but with the players we have & where we are at currently. We are not fluid enough to involve one man upfront, he is just isolated constantly & our ability to cross the ball and pick him out is awful.

I've been saying this for a while. Dunno where these signs are that we're suddenly going to start playing well enough as a team to leave a goalscorer out. Not saying that won't ever come, but I haven't seen anything yet to suggest we're better off with only one striker on the pitch.

Perez has to start, i don't give a s*** where, but he has to! One of few players that has technical ability and intelligence.

even in the short time he was on, he was a class above. his vision, touch, passing and movement were just quality.

though anita did ok.

whole back 4 and colback were poor.

haidara seems to have regressed.

we have a few quality forward players but there seems to be no structure or pattern and it just seems to be a hoy 'em all in and hope for a goal.

Didn't look that isolated to me, in his limited time on the pitch he had a header, a tap in that he should of scored and all in all we maintained attacks a lot better with him.

There's no reason at all that the likes of De Jong, Wijnaldum, Perez, Aarons and Sissoko can't create chances for him. This is going to take time for it all to come together for a multitude of different reasons but i don't see a reason why it can't eventually. At least on paper that is, it's up to McClaren and the coaching staff to coach all that into them and eradicate the crap Pardew has grained into them. Also the players themselves fully adapting to each other and the tactics.

Sissoko was absolute toilet again today

I'm really hoping someone is really in for him. At the moment he is keeping both Perez and Aarons out of the team, and that is bloody ridiculous. He's been so bad man.

Watching him, Cisse and Haidarra constantly miscontrol and misplace the ball today was just too much. Cisse better not start the game next Saturday. Bring him on if we are really struggling and are desperate for a goal.

His lack of concentration, effort and just his generally lazy body language is infuriating, and constantly has us on the back foot from the outset. The difference upfront once Mitrovic came on was significant.

Why can't we try Sissoko in the middle again. Watching him play wide is too f***ing awkward.

There's no place for him really unless you drop De Jong or go with your idea of playing him alongside Wijnaldum and whether you like that or not McClaren won't do it.

I'm with Kaka tbh, if playing him on the wing means no Aarons or Perez i would rather see him sold.

Why can't we try Sissoko in the middle again. Watching him play wide is too f***ing awkward.

There's no place for him really unless you drop De Jong or go with your idea of playing him alongside Wijnaldum and whether you like that or not McClaren won't do it.

I'm with Kaka tbh, if playing him on the wing means no Aarons or Perez i would rather see him sold.

Yep, I agree.

That lineup we ended with has huge potential. Just exclude Colback for Anita. De jong and Wijnaldum pushing forward from midfield. Mitrovic flanked by Aarons and Perez.

No coincidence that it includes the most technical and intelligent 6 players we have.

Colback is nailed on to start no matter what though. He probably got his hands on Shola's photoshopped pictures of managers shagging sheep that he can use for blackmailing his way into the starting lineup.

We are undoubtedly stronger than we were 12 months ago and even Pardew managed to have us in a decent position pre Christmas.  I just think the team that finished in the second half could be a very good one.

Perez has had a full season under his belt and I think he will get better and better, I think Mitrovic is going to wreak havoc and De Jong will come good obviously depending on him staying fit.